Is this a good knife?

flash_bang

Enlightened
hmmmmm, I'm liking the native more and more as I look at it…I must hold it in my hands…
Have a good one,
Flash

cutlerylover

Banned
You can get a hold of a native at walmart if you have one by you...check it out feel it in yoru hands and if you like it they have them at a good price, you can take it home with you...

flash_bang

Enlightened
Well, I looked on Walmart's site and they have the mirror blade native for 39.48$, I wonder if they'll have the black blade version there. And yes, I do have a walmart near me, around a half hour into town and there are 2-3(?) within a half hour-hour of that. Not bad.
TIA,
Flash

rycen

Enlightened
No black blade native at walmart.Also not all walmarts carry the native.At this time if walmart carries spyderco only the native can be bought in store.

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
About Buck, I had an Intrepid, and all I can say is: it's impossible to ruin that beast. Unfortunately it was discontinued.:awman:

cutlerylover

Banned
jbosman1013 said:
what no one likes emerson

You know its strange, because emerson knives are great knives but now and days Its rare for me to read anythgin or even hear their name on knifeforums...I dont know why its popularity went down so much? Its like it just faded out, I know there are still a ahndfull of big emerson fans out there still, but I just dont hear about them much anymore, and I can't figure otu why?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Im not sure either but i know my commander is a tough beast and there is nothing better than the wave feature IMO.

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
I always thought Emersons were the finest knives made and have really enjoyed mine - until I saw my first Strider! What impressed me most was the fact that Strider knives are designed by Mick Strider, an actual combat veteran who served with the covert ops. I think that's why Strider designs look so different than our everyday utility knives. Look, if anybody knows what is really necessary in a combat knife it should be him.

The bad part about Strider knives is that buying them is gonna put me in the poorhouse!

Superdave1

Newly Enlightened
I always thought Emersons were the finest knives made and have really enjoyed mine - until I saw my first Strider! What impressed me most was the fact that Strider knives are designed by Mick Strider, an actual combat veteran who served with the covert ops. I think that's why Strider designs look so different than our everyday utility knives. Look, if anybody knows what is really necessary in a combat knife it should be him.

The bad part about Strider knives is that buying them is gonna put me in the poorhouse!

Yes that is all crap... he made it all up...its all poo do a search!!

cutlerylover

Banned
well he did appologize to everyone and threads about his lies tend to get locked...So...please no more discussion about it, not that I have any athority to tell anyone that, lol...but Im sure the mods will agree...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certain knives will perform cutting tasks differently. Generally, pretty much anything from $45+ is more than capable. I usually carry one of my own creations but I also have a Sypderco Centofante and a Gerber for beat'em up tasks. They perform fine for casual use.

Now if you may find yourself in need of a knife when the sheep hit the fan, investing in a higher line knife is warranted. I think it is literally splitting hairs given a quality heat treat and so long as the maker is competent in designing a good edge bevel for the given blade thickness. "Super steels"...whatever floats your boat.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the thin liner lock making the Buck Striders less than ideal for hard use.

I've heard good things about the sturdiness of the Spyderco Chinook. Perhaps that would be a better knife for him? Anyone have experience with the Chinook?

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
Dirty Bob,

The Chinook would be an excellent choice. I hadn't considered that one.

I think I need to correct something I said in my earlier post regarding Strider knives - actually more about Mick Strider than the products themselves. I feel like a real chump having believed that that man was a combat veteran or was in some kind of "ops". He is neither and has pulled a fast one. I have to admit the mystique of having the same gear as the special forces is appealing to me but what would this guy know about that?

I got snookered. Frankly I'll just keep and enjoy my Emerson. I am very disppointed in Mick Strider.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the thin liner lock making the Buck Striders less than ideal for hard use.

I know this thread was asking about the 882 SBMF, which I agree has liners that are on the thin side. However, this is NOT true of all Buck Striders. The 880 and 881 models are incredibly tough knives suitable for the hardest of use.