JetBeam Backup BC40 (XM-L) High-Output Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Do you think it would be safe to charge the 2600 and 2900 redilasts in the latest Pila charger?

Brightnorm

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
I don't know but does this help?

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?235778-Redilast-Li-ion-Battery-sales!-High-quality-Made-in-Japan-Korea!&p=2676507&viewfull=1#post2676507

On a side note: dangit... just found out they might not fit in the Ultrafire WF139. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new charger. Oh well, I sure hope the extra runtime is worth it. I'll be taking the BC40 night fishing out on the reef and I generally like lights that have around 2 hours of runtime on high to catch bait and it make it back safe.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
According to your runtime chart, you got 70 minutes (1hr 10 min to 50%) on high with 2200mah batteries. I'm guessing theoretically then probably 100 minutes (1 hr 40 min to 50%) with 3100 mah? Does this sound right.
Hard to know, since the 3100mAh haven't been tested by anyone yet, but that seems like a reasonable estimate to me. Note that true mAh capacity is dependent on discharge rate (i.e. the rated capacity is only true at relatively low discharge rates). At higher discharge rates, effective capacity drops (and the "high capacity" cells can be more affected by this than the lower ones, relatively speaking).

Based on HKJ's extensive testing of the AW 2200mAh and Redilast 2900mAh, it looks like 2900mAh cells have at least ~30% more capacity at 1A discharge rates (which is probably close to the maximal discharge on the BC40).

Do you think it would be safe to charge the 2600 and 2900 redilasts in the latest Pila charger?
I hope so, since I've been using it on them for months. ;)

Seriously, the Pila charger is probably the best commercial charger you can use - it is perfectly fine with all brands. As for length, my redilast 2900mAh fit fine. The longest cells I have are the button top GREER 2400mAh, and even they fit (although they are a bit tight).

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I reading the graphs right in that the only penalty for using cr123a's instead of 18650's is 10 minutes less runtime? It's not any less bright?

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
@ leon you are reading the graph right. There shouldn't be any noticeable brightness differences from using 2X18650 cells or 4XCR123 cells. The only difference will be runtime. If you want the most runtime possible, get high capacity 18650 batteries (2900mah or 3100mah). Even if you choose lower capacity 18650 cells (2200mah or 2600mah) you will still get more runtime than 4XCR123. Also, I believe CR123 batteries are generally around 1500mah if I recall.

@walker sorry to hear you didn't get a holster with your BC40. Some dealers will include holsters others will not. I ordered a BC40 from a dealer who has offered free holsters. My light hasn't shipped yet because at the moment my dealer is out of stock on the BC40s and will receive a new shipment soon. I myself am hoping that these new shipments of BC40s will also include holsters like before. I sure hope the free holster deal wasn't just a one time thing. I guess I will have to wait and see. I wont be receiving my BC40 from the newer shipment probably until the end of July.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Am I reading the graphs right in that the only penalty for using cr123a's instead of 18650's is 10 minutes less runtime? It's not any less bright?
As Summer Heat pointed out, you are reading the graphs correctly. However, I use the older lower capacity 18650s for all my runtimes, for consistency and comparison to older reviews. Newer high capacity 18650s will give you proportionately longer runtime for the same output.

@walker sorry to hear you didn't get a holster with your BC40. Some dealers will include holsters others will not.
That's right, it seems to be very much a dealer-specific factor whether or not you get the holster. My light and holster were supplied directly by JetBeam, so that's what I had to go on at the time of the review. If it matters to you, you should make sure to confirm with the dealer before ordering.

SDOT

Newly Enlightened
quick inquiry -

The box for the BC40 I got today lists the XM-L T6 as the LED. However, the BC40 Operation Manual inside lists the XP-G R5 under specification and performance. Does anyone know what is up with the discrepancy?

Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The box for the BC40 I got today lists the XM-L T6 as the LED. However, the BC40 Operation Manual inside lists the XP-G R5 under specification and performance. Does anyone know what is up with the discrepancy?
:welcome:

The BC40s are all XM-L emitters. There was never a XP-G version, so that must be a manual misprint.

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
The XML T6 is still very popular. How come JetBeam not using the new XML U2 in their lights yet?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great review. I love my b40. Great value imo and I really like the tint. Much better tint than fenix.

Rebuilt - may I make a suggestion? I usually visit on my cell phone using tapatalk. I'm sure many members do. The bottom of every picture (containing the all important label of what beamshot I'm looking at) is cut off by thumbnails of other pics shown on the bottom of the screen.

If you put the beamshot label on the top corner instead of the bottom corner we could.identify which beamshot is which. I know I could download the pic but it doesn't seem like labeling on the top would be any harder.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I usually visit on my cell phone using tapatalk. I'm sure many members do. The bottom of every picture (containing the all important label of what beamshot I'm looking at) is cut off by thumbnails of other pics shown on the bottom of the screen.
I wasn't aware of that (don't have tapatalk yet, maybe on my next phone).

Problem is the existing images are all saved JPGs, so any editing/re-posting of them would be extremely time consuming on my end. I could start doing new ones at the top, but then this will look strange in comparison to the old ones. Can anyone else confirm this issue with tapatalk?

FYI, I'm going to be on holidays the next few days without internet access, so will check back in on all my threads on Monday. :wave:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I wasn't aware of that (don't have tapatalk yet, maybe on my next phone).

Problem is the existing images are all saved JPGs, so any editing/re-posting of them would be extremely time consuming on my end. I could start doing new ones at the top, but then this will look strange in comparison to the old ones. Can anyone else confirm this issue with tapatalk?

The problem depends on the height/width of the picture, but it is easy to zoom out or move the picture to read the text.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The problem depends on the height/width of the picture, but it is easy to zoom out or move the picture to read the text.

That doesn't work on my phone.
I'm only suggesting making this.change on FUTURE pictures.

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
I just got my BC40 (arrived alot earlier than expected). Anyway my new Redilast 18650 3100mah batteries aren't working. I believe there seems to be some kind of contact issue with the battery positive terminal and the spring inside the head. My AW 18650 batteries work fine in the BC40. With the Redilast batteries I am able to use the low setting. The low setting works because the head isn't completley screwed down. When I screw down the head for high output nothing happens.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks S.H. & S.B. i wish more lights were like that as well.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wish a short tube were available to run it with 2 x 18500 or even 2 x 18350.

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
I just got my BC40 (arrived alot earlier than expected). Anyway my new Redilast 18650 3100mah batteries aren't working. I believe there seems to be some kind of contact issue with the battery positive terminal and the spring inside the head. My AW 18650 batteries work fine in the BC40. With the Redilast batteries I am able to use the low setting. The low setting works because the head isn't completley screwed down. When I screw down the head for high output nothing happens.

Summer Heat,

did you figure out what was happening with your BC40 using the Redilast 3100's?

I just ordered a BC40 and need to order batteries. I was thinking about the 3100 redilasts or the AW 2900's. (then I need to pick a charger).