JetBeam-III Pro I.B.S. and Pila charger

tcc

Newly Enlightened
Received the new JetBeam-III Pro I.B.S. and Pila charger today from Bugout Gear and was happy to finally get it :D

First the flashlight. It is VERY well constructed. Fits well in my hand, has a nice feel to it, and the weight is not too heavy.

Light output is amazing. VERY bright compared to my Fenix L2D Q5. If I aim it towards the ceiling in my bedroom, it lights the whole room up :thumbsup:.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

Now my gripes. When I opened the package the box it comes in is made out of paper. PAPER!! Is JetBeam that strapped that they can't make a half decent case? It was all bent out of shape, corners were torn, etc. See pics.

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

Now I'm not sure if it was due to the shipping that caused all this but you would think a more solid case would be used.

When I opened the light to inspect inside there was some sort of discolouring or stain in the tube. What is it? Doesn't seem to come off if I try and wipe it.

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

It is also on the outside of the flashlight. You can't really notice it unless you really look at it and inspect it.

DSC00515.jpg

Is there anyway to clean this up?

Now the Pila charger. Very nice, compact and small. Interesting concept in changing out the plug for different countries. Not sure if the charger has been revamped but from all of the pictures I have seen, there's only two LEDs to provide status of the batteries. But this one has four, two green and two red. When I began charging the AW protected batteries that I got I had to first unscrew the adaptors. But when I placed them into the charger they wouldn't register as being charging. I thought I had defective batteries from what the LEDs were showing me. I then figured out that I had to slightly lift the positive end of the batteries to make contact. Does anyone else have to do this with AW batteries or any other kind and is this normal?

All in all I'm happy with both and am looking forward to picking up some more Li-Ion flashlights ;)

Citivolus

Enlightened
When I opened the light to inspect inside there was some sort of discolouring or stain in the tube. What is it? Doesn't seem to come off if I try and wipe it.

It is also on the outside of the flashlight. You can't really notice it unless you really look at it and inspect it.

Is there anyway to clean this up?

This is an anti-oxidising coating for the threads and tube. I agree that it isn't ideal for it to be on the body. You might be able to clean it with a solvent on a small cloth or q-tip. Make certain you keep the solvent away from o-rings and text on the body, and if it mixes with the thread lube you will want to clean your threads and re-lube. Your vendor may have some ideas too, or may be willing to swap the body.

I just went through 40+ Jet-III Pros and was unable to find any with this problem, so I don't think that it is very common.

Now the Pila charger <clip> When I began charging the AW protected batteries that I got I had to first unscrew the adaptors. But when I placed them into the charger they wouldn't register as being charging. I thought I had defective batteries from what the LEDs were showing me. I then figured out that I had to slightly lift the positive end of the batteries to make contact. Does anyone else have to do this with AW batteries or any other kind and is this normal?

Yes, I ran into this same issue with my Pila IBC charger. The button on the AW cells doesn't make contact if you push the cells in all the way. You could probably put a small piece of weather stripping foam or the like under the cell to hold it up to the right level automatically, as long as you don't have the need for charging thicker cells. I have had no problem with non-button tipped cells, as the conductor on those is wider and properly makes contact.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:

fluke

Enlightened
My box on my Jet I Pro R2 was in much worse condition, but that came from HKEquipment in Hong Kong.

Postal workers don't always handle items carefully.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for the $$$ the light costs, and its output, its a very nice box and finish.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my flashlight. The box was in the same condition. I think it's normal for JetBeam but that doesn't change the fact that it's a really great light :huh:.

rayman

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
I had the same problem with the Pila charger and AW cells.
Posted pics a couple of weeks ago.
I fixed it by bending the neg charger terminal.
modificationip4.jpg

It's been working like a dream ever since.

tcc

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, dunno if I wanna do that. I mean it's not that hard to just lift up the battery a bit to make contact ;) But will keep that in mind :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The clip and its attachment looks like a copy of Surefire's.

Is it just as sturdy? If it is, I might just get the JetBeam myself.