Just got my electric bill, Wow! What about you?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in New Orleans our local branch of Entergy went Tango Uniform after Katrina, and the gas and electricity rates have both doubled. My neighbors are crying the blues.

We've never used anything but a fraction of what our neighbors consume even though we run two computers 24/7. We work at it all the time and also put some effort into finding a house that uses less energy than most.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmmm let's see...so many variables:

Alaskan winter months, 1900 square foot - 5 star energy rated house, gas appliances, forced air gas furnace, fluorescent lighting fixtures in all rooms except one bathroom:

Current average KWH used per day = 25. We're currently paying .11 per KWH.

Last edited:

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
My Nov/Dec bill was $72. My house was designed to be energy efficent. I have to pump my own water and I have a heat pump. My highest bill is in summer and is about $120. I suspect with the rates increasing my Jan bill will be highest so far.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledlurker said:
ours was projected to go to 16 cents per Kwh. People I know in the natural gas industry are saying that in 2007 that is when everything will go nuts.

What are they going to do, triple the rates? I wouldn't doubt it!

ledlurker

Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
What are they going to do, triple the rates? I wouldn't doubt it!

people on this site go on and on about peak oil all of the time. The Gas industry already knows that peak natural gas is already occuring and the 2007/2008 is when the supply and demand curves cross. At the same time more and more electrical generating plants are using natural gas, not because of cost but because of cleaner emmissions and quicker start up times to meet peak power demands. There are several LNG ports being built along the coast where I live and at full capacity they will still not meet the projected demand.

As my kids get older I will be steadily dropping the thermostat from 68 to 62 for the winter and most likely stay at 78 fo the summer.

h_nu

Enlightened
My electric is low, it's the gas bill that is scary.

TrueBlue, if you are too young to remember, ask some of the old timers in the area if they remember the 1969 oil spill. I was living in SB county at the time and reading the SB News-Press. Even though I was young, the logic of conserving energy to reduce risks and damage to the environment as well as the natural yankee thrift of my parents caused me to be a believer in conservation through efficiency long before the first Earth Day.

I commend your foresight and efforts. America can solve it's energy problems if we get smarter about energy use.

matt_j

Enlightened
Well I just got Surefire M6 so with the 500 lamp assembly I get 20 min on 6 batteries.

So 6 batteries run me $6 divide that by 20 min so... 1 minute of operation costs me 30 cents. Man that's expensive.

Kilted

Enlightened
Well I got my yearly electric bill from PG&E, and yup I messed up again it was $0.00, I actually had a credit of about -$17 for the year, it's a donation. What I really need to do is make sure I pay something so I donot leave $$$ on the table.

OH yea I have 5.2kw of solar panels, and the costs includes approx 10,000 miles of driving, you see I also have an all electric car a Toyota Rav4EV. Like Darrell's but not pimped up like his. Oh yea, Darrell has solar panels also.

For those of you living in CA and thinking about solar "just do it". Also do the energy conservation bit. I just changed out lots of plain glass for low-e dual pane windows, feels like it has made a large difference.

=D~~ Kilted

freeze12

Enlightened
I also have National Grid here in Buffalo,NY. My latest bill reads as follows...

Electricity used (KWH) 523
Delivery & supply cost
Basic servicecharge (for 24 days) $9.75
All 523 Kwh @ 12.1425 cents/kwh +63.50
Sales tax (4.25%) +3.11

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
h_nu said:
I commend your foresight and efforts. America can solve it's energy problems if we get smarter about energy use.

*Agent Mulder moment*

Or we could ask the govt why they felt the need to classify a few trunks worth of Tesla's works.... :sssh:

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done geothermal?

I got my bill here ... $188 for 1346 KWh = $0.14 per KWh.
And this is for an apartment. I'm planning on buying a home (much bigger space) soon and I am a bit worried about my future electric bill. If the house has an old AC unit, I may need to consider a high efficiency AC vs geothermal.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
Re: Has anyone done geothermal?

rayearth said:
I got my bill here ... $188 for 1346 KWh = $0.14 per KWh.
And this is for an apartment. I'm planning on buying a home (much bigger space) soon and I am a bit worried about my future electric bill. If the house has an old AC unit, I may need to consider a high efficiency AC vs geothermal.

If you have the option to have a house built there are LOTS of options that will help. Most aren't very expensive if built into the house from the start.

My latest bill is $92 and I'm in central NC. My neighbors bill was $170. Our houses are very similar in size.

This page shows the inside and outside stats here - http://home.mebtel.net/~cmedico/weather/inside.htm

You can see the heating cycles on the inside graph.

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent 23 dollars for 113 kilos last month. Low as I got it was 18 bucks a few years ago when I moved in.

Did I say I get free gas for heat? Now during the summer I can hit 65 bucks at 600 kilos used, thats for AC 16 hours or less a day. I cut that off when I leave or am not here.

cy

Flashaholic
mine was $85 last month, but gas was $291 and that's with the thermostat turn way down.

normally this time of year electric is aprox. $35. with gas bills aprox. $120. So my utilities have doubled with less consumption as compared with last year's readings.

just spent $1,900 for a custom fireplace insert. it'll put out aprox. 150,000 btu with a house sized blower that can hook into central heating/AC ducts.

I'm a chainsaw nut, so firewood is pretty much free. won't take too long to pay for fireplace insert at these gas prices.

weights 400lbs and will be shipped next week. can't wait to say goodbye to those $300 gas bills :D

l8backm.JPG

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine went from $35/month to $42 in December then $67 for Jan so its doubled. Strange thing is My water heater, furnace and stove are all gas so I haven't used any more than before the price has just doubled within two months.
My gas usage is up from last year too and this winter as been warmer and I've put more insulation in the house so I think something is up.