Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....*UPDATE*

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....

Well they told me if the light is functionally ok that they "see no reason to bring it in for repair". So I guess thats' that. Now back to modding. Does anyone know if it has a bare emitter or a star?

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
In all fairness, I first asked you if it was affecting the quality of the beam. Your response "I'm not sure how it affects the beam as I don't have another one to compare it to. The beam doesn't seem to be bad. " I then replied back that if it is not affecting the form or function, translated: if it is doing what we promised it to do, I do not see the need for repairs. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Stuart@surefire

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats cool. I understand what you are saying. I also told Stuart that I didnt really expect them to replace it, just so everyone knows that they didnt try to leave me in the lurch or anything.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kudos to Stuart for being on here. That's pretty dang neat!

@Stuart - are folks at SF taking note of some of the wonderful mods people on here are doing with the fine SureFire lights, and perhaps taking any inspiration? =) Sorry for the slightly OT comment...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully understand Surefire, don't see why they should fix something that isn't broken.
Very few flashlight users sit watching the led, most turn it on and look at what it illuminates..

Stuart is a great guy:thumbsup: and I really appreciate him taking the time to post here.

Sverre

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, us CPF'ers and kinda too picky when it comes to our lights. A regular flashlight user would probably take no notice of it....

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do i have the feeling the reactions here wouldn't have been as benevolent if it was any other flashlight maker that downgraded their production process (no chemkote on threads) and quality control? :D :p

cruisemissile

Enlightened
Why do i have the feeling the reactions here wouldn't have been as benevolent if it was any other flashlight maker that downgraded their production process (no chemkote on threads) and quality control? :D :p

because we have drunketh of the Surefire "kool-aid" and we have foundeth them to be benevolent in all.

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
In all fairness, I first asked you if it was affecting the quality of the beam. Your response "I'm not sure how it affects the beam as I don't have another one to compare it to. The beam doesn't seem to be bad. " I then replied back that if it is not affecting the form or function, translated: if it is doing what we promised it to do, I do not see the need for repairs. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Stuart@surefire
So whats up with that "no questions asked lifetime warranty"...

Elmie

Enlightened
I don't know of any large manufacturer warrenty against cosmetic defect.

How is that cosmetic when clearly the LED is not aligned. I'm sure if one was to actually measure the circumference that it will not be a perfect circle. Isn't QC suppose to pick that up before leaving the plant? I'd expect fit and finish like that from the "chinese" lights, but not from SF.

Size15's

Flashaholic
How is that cosmetic when clearly the LED is not aligned. I'm sure if one was to actually measure the circumference that it will not be a perfect circle. Isn't QC suppose to pick that up before leaving the plant? I'd expect fit and finish like that from the "chinese" lights, but not from SF.
If the beam was being adversely impacted then I agree, the off-centre LED may be a cause and result in it being returned for repair/replacement.
However, it could be that in order to achieve the beam required with that individual bezel/reflector and that individual LED it required the LED to be mounted off-centre.

It is the case with SureFire's incandescent lamps that the bulb envelope can sometimes be canted so that the filament inside can be set at the correct point. It is the filament position and not the envelope that matter in generating the best beam.

Perhaps SureFire has designed it's LED bezel to allow for a wee bit of wiggle room necessary to achieve the desired beam?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the user could not discover any negative beam effects at all I don't think this could be called anything but cosmetic... :poke:

Sverre

carrot

Flashaholic
Damned if you do damned if you don't. When there were donuts, users complained. When the LED was not perfectly centered... users complained. What are you guys shouting about? These are not custom pieces, they are productions and they function exactly as claimed! Nowhere do I see on the Surefire site that these will be aesthetically perfect, only the best damn illumination devices on the market.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Are you sure the threads aren't chemcoated? Surefire uses a clear coat now as opposed to the previous off-yellow colored coating. I thought the same thing when I bought an E1B, but it turns out the new coat is completely clear and leaves the aluminum LOOKING bare, but it isn't.

Latest posts