Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....*UPDATE*

rolling

Enlightened
The issue isnt the offcentered emitter. Its that the emitter looks like its to far back and cant be placed further into the reflector. Because its offcenter, as shown in the pictures and marked in the red circle.
The Beam looks like the area where the Hotspot blends into the spill is to large in perspective to the size of the hotspot. Thats the best i can discribe it with my none native english ^^
I am not confident I could capture it in a picture with my limited camera skills ;)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I know that with incandescent Lamp Assemblies each one is individually set using a special rig and optics to position the filament in the right place.

I know that with TIR- based lights the beam is focused using how far the part of the bezel containing the TIR optic is screwed onto the based of the bezel containing the LED.

It is completely reasonable to me that SureFire assembly staff would individually position each LED so that each specific LED/reflector combination produce the beam possible beam it can. This will result in some beams being tighter than others as variations compound or cancel-out.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the U2A the U2 Ultra? Anyway, on Surefire's site they say this about the reflector under the U2 Ultra's description:

"Precision, micro-textured reflector blends light, creating a near-flawless beam devoid of the black rings and spots found in lesser brands. The result is a tightly focused central beam with enough reach to penetrate the night yet plenty of surround beam to see what's in front of you in vivid detail."

That's a pretty loose statement, but does your light live up to it? They don't say how far the light should throw, so you can't test it to see if it illuminates objects at a specified advertised distance. They say the beam is near-flawless, which means there could be some flaws. They say plenty of surround beam so that may mean a larger corona around the hot spot?

I'd take your U2 outside and night and see how well it "penetrates the night" and if it's not focused well it may not penetrate the night well. Then you could tell Surefire you feel the LED isn't focused and you aren't getting much throw out of it.

From looking at the picture you posted it doesn't appear there is anyway for them to put the emitter any deeper into the reflector. It looks like the base of the reflector is already hitting the contact leads around the base of the emitter.

If I had a U2A I would gladly post some beam shots for you to compare against. Maybe someone will be able to do that. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Adding "A" to older models such as the L4, L5 and U2 (and the associated KL4 & KL5 bezels) indicates in a quasi-official way that they have been updated from the LuxeonV LED to I believe the SSC [P4]? LED.

SureFire lacks consistency in this regard. It is a useful and recognised way of differentiating between the LuxeonV and SSC versions.

Whilst the output has increased somewhat, the main improvement has been runtime.
This is associated with a generally lower operating temperature which can help extend the performance and lifespan of the LED.
It is a discussion point whether or not it is a good thing that this changes the beam profile as a result of updating to an LED that is a smaller more intense light source...

rolling

Enlightened
From looking at the picture you posted it doesn't appear there is anyway for them to put the emitter any deeper into the reflector. It looks like the base of the reflector is already hitting the contact leads around the base of the emitter.

If I had a U2A I would gladly post some beam shots for you to compare against. Maybe someone will be able to do that.

Thats the thing. The reflector is hitting the black plastic part of the LED instead of the contact leads. What i would have expected also.
So i dont need a beamshot. A picture of the LED position on this regard would be nice.

p5170343crop.jpg

I know that with TIR- based lights the beam is focused using how far the part of the bezel containing the TIR optic is screwed onto the based of the bezel containing the LED.

That would be a good emperical methode to adjust the focus but depends on that every step before that was done proper. And has little to do with checking every light for focus.
And if the head is supposed to be screwed down as far as possible, hitting the contact leads, but hits instead the plastic part...

P.S.: I just lost a rather long answer because of a server timeout :(

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thats the thing. The reflector is hitting the black plastic part of the LED instead of the contact leads. What i would have expected also.
So i dont need a beamshot. A picture of the LED position on this regard would be nice.

That would be a good emperical methode to adjust the focus but depends on that every step before that was done proper. And has little to do with checking every light for focus.
And if the head is supposed to be screwed down as far as possible, hitting the contact leads, but hits instead the plastic part...:(
Ahh, I think I understand, the LED assembly is off-center enough to hang up up on the edge of the reflector, and therefore cannot insert completely inside the reflector hole. I understand now.:thumbsup:

rolling

Enlightened
Ahh, I think I understand, the LED assembly is off-center enough to hang up up on the edge of the reflector, and therefore cannot insert completely inside the reflector hole. I understand now.:thumbsup:

That is what i was saying all along :twothumbs

Two weeks ago:

Its not a problem :)
But mine looks like the back of the reflector sits on the black plastic part of the LED.
The opening of the reflector is big enought that it could sit on the LED "legs".
And if its supossed to sit on the legs, mine would be slightly out of focus.
The beam doenst look bad. But something looks strange, but i cant really discripe it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, now I see what you were getting at. I wonder if they mean for it to be that way. If the reflector is metal and hits all the contact leads of the emitter it would short it out.

rolling

Enlightened
Thats what I wonder too.
I would say the back of the reflector is HAIII as at e2e heads or others from surefire.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thats what I wonder too.
I would say the back of the reflector is HAIII as at e2e heads or others from surefire.
Would the reflector even be metal as WadeF is speculating? Shouldn't it be easy to just sputter a plastic reflector (I know, long story there, I've actually researched that issue at work so I'm pretty familiar with the limitations), that way you would never have to worry about the possibility of a short at all if the contact leads are sitting right on that area. I'd sleep better knowing that it would be a totally non-conductive part that the leads were resting on, if it was my light. My two lumens, FWIW.

rolling

Enlightened
Here's a picture of mine.

IMG_0985a-1.jpg

Thank you. It looks like the back of the reflector sits on the contact leads.
Can you confirm that?

Would the reflector even be metal as WadeF is speculating? Shouldn't it be easy to just sputter a plastic reflector (I know, long story there, I've actually researched that issue at work so I'm pretty familiar with the limitations), that way you would never have to worry about the possibility of a short at all if the contact leads are sitting right on that area. I'd sleep better knowing that it would be a totally non-conductive part that the leads were resting on, if it was my light. My two lumens, FWIW.

I think all the SureFire reflectors are integrated in the Head. Maschined directly into the aluminium that forms the head.

digitaleos

Enlightened
It actually looks like it may just be a hair above, although it's hard to really tell for sure. There seems to be a small space between the reflector and the leads.

Illum

Flashaholic
I.D.K. if an off-center L.E.D. would bother me so much if it didn't affect the beam, but I was under the impression S.F. would cover off tints. I'm not a fan of blue or green tinted lights

Considering that ALL LEDs for a particular series look exactly the same regardless of tint. you won't know one LED from another even if you light it up. you could only tell tint when you light it up beside a white benchmark.

Think of an assembly line relatively similar to a circuit board processor that installs through-hole components. Testing each particular LED by hand to an exact tint and putting them in the feeder leading to a machine that could process 10,000 pieces in an hour is not possible, nor would it be practical. Not to mention the potential cost in human resources and capital for such testing to take place.

Custom builders here have that luxury because they built only a small batch at a time, not under pressure to stock up an inventory closet the size of a stadium before they start selling.

Surefire lights are professional tools, not perfect works of art. Stop treating them as such. Unless there is a problem with the light that causes it not to meet the advertised specs then deal with it.

I think as the price nears a specific level...people start looking more at the surface for perfection...
Its time to give 4seven's "design philosophy" threads a good reading. There is simply much more to identify regarding constituents to making a flashlight function...way more than just "whether or not blah blah is centered or not"
While the regarding threads offer many useful information to critique partitions of lights this is NOT an incentive, however, to compare fenix vs. surefire :thumbsdow

I think we're asking a little too much from Surefire here...
if there's no artifacts in the beam and the hot spot is not way off to one side I don't think there is a need to call warranty.

*Update 26 Nov 08 - they're not going to repair it....

Its off center? really? gee...I guess center is a matter of prospective too:thinking:

:huh2:
I don't recall surefire ever chemkoting threads before, quite a few E series I've had or owned have either aluminum/gray tailcap threads and aluminum/black [anodized?] threads for the bezel...none of which resembled anything like the color of the lights interior

A flashlight is designed to work at any environment its placed in, that should be the emphasis for any brand... not how its performance or appearance is relative to the owners expectations. That's not a matter of dispute against the company's warranty, nor should it be unless you want the company to incur losses on a hourly basis.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
A flashlight is designed to work at any environment its placed in, that should be the emphasis for any brand... not how its performance or appearance is relative to the owners expectations. That's not a matter of dispute against the company's warranty, nor should it be unless you want the company to incur losses on a hourly basis.
If you bought a new car and the panels were ill fitting the gaps around doors were all over the place but the doors opened and closed OK the seals worked fine, would you complain?

Surefire claim to sell quality lighting products, to use the car analogy again they are considered to be in the BMW/Mercedes class of flashlights.

I think the centring of the LED is more important than say a blemish or a scratch on the anodising, which I'm sure you wouldn't accept on a new light.

I personally would not just expect it to work but the fit and finish should be just as important.
Norm

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
If you bought a new car and the panels were ill fitting the gaps around doors were all over the place but the doors opened and closed OK the seals worked fine, would you complain?

Unless your buying your car online I think you would have evaluated the car first hand before you bought it. :grin2:

The Hyundai dealer was surprised when I brought my own creeper to the car dealership...which I thought was odd. Being a first time car buyer I think I should have worn a tie:shrug:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Unless your buying your car online I think you would have evaluated the car first hand before you bought it. :grin2:

The Hyundai dealer was surprised when I brought my own creeper to the car dealership...which I thought was odd. Being a first time car buyer I think I should have worn a tie:shrug:
I'm not sure that's always possible, I've ordered a car with certain options that were not available from the dealer's stock and the first time I saw the car was on the day of delivery.
But we are getting off the topic. :(
Norm

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm not sure that's always possible I've ordered a car with certain options that were not available from the dealers stock and the first time I saw the car was on the day of delivery.
But we are getting off the topic. :(
Norm

I see what your asking and I would certainly agree assuming everything else is constrained by the parameters of a flashlight.:candle: