Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....*UPDATE*

abacus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you're just stuck with it. It may be annoying when you look at the front but as long as the beam looks fine, what you gona do. too bad

Nocam

Newly Enlightened
Damned if you do damned if you don't. When there were donuts, users complained. When the LED was not perfectly centered... users complained. What are you guys shouting about? These are not custom pieces, they are productions and they function exactly as claimed! Nowhere do I see on the Surefire site that these will be aesthetically perfect, only the best damn illumination devices on the market.

Because when you spend 100 + on a flashlight, you want to be satisfied. I personally see it as unprofessional to ask for a large amount of hard earned money for a product, and find that it leaves you making this face :scowl: instead of this :D

rolling

Enlightened
Damned if you do damned if you don't. When there were donuts, users complained. When the LED was not perfectly centered... users complained. What are you guys shouting about? These are not custom pieces, they are productions and they function exactly as claimed! Nowhere do I see on the Surefire site that these will be aesthetically perfect, only the best damn illumination devices on the market.

I am not complaining I am just asking if the led is supossed to sit behind the reflector or in the reflector. And your post isn't very helpfull ;)
When the led is supossed to sit in the reflector then i will start complaining :poke:

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Surefire won't help you out huh? Doesn't surprise me, thats why I quit buying Surefires.

carrot

Flashaholic
Because when you spend 100 + on a flashlight, you want to be satisfied. I personally see it as unprofessional to ask for a large amount of hard earned money for a product, and find that it leaves you making this face :scowl: instead of this :D
$100 is pretty low for a light of such good quality. The machining is excellent, the electronics are good, and the design is phenomenal. An uncentered LED that does not affect the beam quality does not seem like a huge problem to me.

and sorry rolling, I don't know the answer to your question, I was responding (late) to KDOG.

Last edited:

rolling

Enlightened
and sorry rolling, I don't know the answer to your question, I was responding (late) to KDOG.

Its not a problem :)
But mine looks like the back of the reflector sits on the black plastic part of the LED.
The opening of the reflector is big enought that it could sit on the LED "legs".
And if its supossed to sit on the legs, mine would be slightly out of focus.
The beam doenst look bad. But something looks strange, but i cant really discripe it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed one thing; isn't the led phosphor pretty much in the center? :shrug:

I know the led isn't, but the light is actually coming from the phosphor... They might actually have done a good job at SF to get a good beam from an emitter where the phosphor isn't in the centre.

iapyx

Enlightened
Just noticed one thing; isn't the led phosphor pretty much in the center? :shrug:

I know the led isn't, but the light is actually coming from the phosphor... They might actually have done a good job at SF to get a good beam from an emitter where the phosphor isn't in the centre.

No fair might be right. Try to make a photo of your U2A while switched on at the lowest level. I just had a look at mine while on: perfectly centered.

polkiuj

Enlightened

But they do say "Engineered for maximum performance and precision manufactured, they produce optimal beams — brilliant light with no rings, hot spots, or shadows. That's why people whose lives may depend on having enough light when they need it, such as military, emergency, and police personnel and outdoors professionals, rely on SureFire."

So beam quality is one of the reasons to get a Surefire (I don't have one)!!
As Stuart said, if it doesn't affect the beam, then it's not really a defect.

rolling

Enlightened
Does someone have pictures of his U2A from the front with a bit of an angle? Not to see if the emitter is centered. I like to see the emitter position in the deepth of the reflector.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I.D.K. if an off-center L.E.D. would bother me so much if it didn't affect the beam, but I was under the impression S.F. would cover off tints. I'm not a fan of blue or green tinted lights, and have only had one out of a half dozen S.F.'s come that way, but luckily was able to dump that one on someone (who saw b/f they bought), so I never found out.

*Update 26 Nov 08 - they're not going to repair it....

Thanks for the info KDOG.

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
Why do i have the feeling the reactions here wouldn't have been as benevolent if it was any other flashlight maker that downgraded their production process (no chemkote on threads) and quality control? :D :p

If by chemkote, you mean the gold tone that Surefire used inside their lights, they changed to a clear coating on newer production. There are a thread on it a week or two. Someone got a new 6P and was wondering why it was not gold tone inside. Changed, not downgraded.

rolling

Enlightened
Its not just the offcenterd emitter. looks like it is out of focus.

p5170347crop.jpg

p5170346crop.jpg

p5170343crop.jpg

Has someone pictures in the same angle?

p5170346crop2.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
If the beam is focused it means the LED's die is in the right place. This may mean the LED itself is off-centre or further forward or rearward in order to achieve the focused beam the reflector is designed to generate by positioning the die at the focal point of the reflector.

The same is so for incandescent models - the bulb envelope could beam tilting to one side or be further forward (with the tip of the envelope closer to the window) - this is because it is the light-generating component - the filament that is positioned in the focal point of the reflector rather than the centre of the bulb.

If the beam is fine then why the fuss?

rolling

Enlightened
Thats the thing. First I am not quite sure the beam is in focus, the hotspot isnt very pronounced. But I dont have a second one to compare. Maybe you could look into yours and say how the led is placed.
And second I very much doubt that there is someone at the assembly line that tweaks every "special" led to a perfect focus.
The dies in a LED have to be placed very accurate (and it is) so the machines can place the bondwires.
As you can see in the red circle, the led shines on a nonreflective surface, i would say that is not intended.

I could live with an off centered emitter, but a possibly unfocused is a nogo for such an expensiv flashlight.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of you are totally missing the point of what Surefire is and who their market is. It isn't primarily made up of customers who will analyze the light and complain about any small imperfection that has no impact on the advertised performance of the light. If every customer expected a flashlight to the standards you are expecting the lights wouldn't be $100, they'd cost much more. So should our military, police, fire fighters, etc, have to pay more for their flashlights because you might get one that doesn't put a smile on your face? :poke:

Surefire lights are professional tools, not perfect works of art. Stop treating them as such. Unless there is a problem with the light that causes it not to meet the advertised specs then deal with it.

If you go spend $400-500 on a custom flashlight, made to your specification, and when you get it and the reflector is off center by 1mm and you specified the reflector must be perfectly centered, then you can complain. The custom maker also has the right to charge whatever price they want to make a light that meets your specifications.

It's a shame some people have to beat up a company and hurt their bottom line because they have unrealistic expectations. You do this when you get a customer service rep on the phone, taking up their time, getting them to send you a replacement light for a light that was fine to begin with, etc.

rolling

Enlightened
It's a shame some people have to beat up a company and hurt their bottom line because they have unrealistic expectations. You do this when you get a customer service rep on the phone, taking up their time, getting them to send you a replacement light for a light that was fine to begin with, etc.

Well a off centered emitter isnt pretty, but its fine with me. But when the emitter is that offcenter that it looks like the reflector could not be placed proper, thats something diffent. And thats why I am asking for some pictures of one thats fine. Before i go and send it in.
Dont get me wrong I like the U2A. But when the above discribed is correct i see it as an defect.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well a off centered emitter isnt pretty, but its fine with me. But when the emitter is that offcenter that it looks like the reflector could not be placed proper, thats something diffent. And thats why I am asking for some pictures of one thats fine. Before i go and send it in.
Dont get me wrong I like the U2A. But when the above discribed is correct i see it as an defect.

Can you post a beam shot? How does the beam look on the wall? Is the hot spot off center in the spill?

Latest posts