Katrina Victims Check In Thread

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Just to update my status, power has been restored to my home in LaPLace, LA and my family will be heading home tomorrow. My wife is principal of Ascenion of Our Lord School and needs to get back ASAP. Our Pastor has said that he already has calls about when displaced students can enroll in our school. He wants to get school reopened by the 12 of Sept if not sooner. We also need to get ready for family that will need a place to stay. I will not have Internet access for quite some time since my ISP was located in New Orleans. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is the correct place to post...admin move if you like. I just got back from a house boat vacation to Lake Powell to find out about this huge disaster. We were out of touch for nearly 8 days. Although we encountered some extreme situations with weather it was nothing compared to you guys. I'm sending out PP's to help where I can.

Regards,
Richard

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adimag and all others affected,

If you have email access now, I can email you my phone and you can call us with updates if necessary.

Bill

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear that LaPlace is back up and running. That's the closest place to me where I'll be able to restock supplies.

I'm leaving for New Orleans some time tomorrow. Friday, that is. If there are any requests or anything, let me know.

Rick, if you emailed me about your house, I didn't get it.

rick258

Enlightened
Chop said:
Rick, if you emailed me about your house, I didn't get it.

Just got back online at our motel room Tony. Sent an email with my cel number 5 min ago.

Be careful if you make it back to New Orleans.

Take Care
Rick

rick258

Enlightened
Robocop said:
I live alone in a 3 bedroom home so Chop or any others close by are welcome to stay if need be. I will be checking in here from time to time however I am not sure when I may be leaving for Louisiana. If any stranded members need help feel free to reach me at South Precinct evening shift (3-11pm) Birmingham Police Dept. (205) 254-2793 Leave a message for Officer Hall and any contact numbers you may have. I will do my best to help any way I can and will call when time permits.
Thanks for checking in on me....Robo

Robo -- Have emailed and left a message at the number you posted. I included my cel number in my email to you and left it with the Officer I spoke to at your precinct. Would like to talk to you.

paulr said:
Rick, Paypal and bank sites use encrypted connections for all the sensitive data. The most important thing is to access from a computer that you trust (preferably your own laptop) to not be compromised. That is, the point of vulnerability is the computer itself, not the network connection. If you're using your own laptop and it doesn't have any viruses or malware, it's perfectly safe to access Paypal through an open wifi connection since the site's encryption protects the data from snooping and tampering. (Just make sure you see the closed padlock icon in the browser and the url in the navigation bar points to the site you expect it to). Be careful of PC's in public places that could easily be tampered with though, even if they're not on wifi.

Thanks for the info paulr--never really trusted wireless but don't have any choice right now.

bwaites said:
I emailed you at the address provided.
Please feel free to call or email.
My work phone or cell phone is reachable today. We are closed from 12-1PM PDT so call the cell if necessary.
Bill

Bill -- Got your email and replied last night. Have your numbers on the pad I am keeping contact info on. I believe I got your PP but my PP receipts go to an account I cannot access right now. Also working without a printer is a pain but in the overall scheme of things I have bigger problems than no printer at this time.

Ginseng said:
Rick,

You have a big PayPal coming your way. Please check when you can and let me know if it got there ok.

Wilkey

Wilkey -- I have received one PP from you. THANKS

Sigman said:
Just received a PM from revolvergeek (Danny) in Baton Rouge - he's ok but VERY BUSY. I was glad to hear from him and indeed that he's ok.

Hopefully he'll post when he can.

Always good to hear of another soul safe that has been in the path of Katrina.

adimag said:
Just to update my status, power has been restored to my home in LaPLace, LA and my family will be heading home tomorrow. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

andrew - really happy for you and your family. My neighbor across the street's daughter lives in LaPlace and they are hoping all is well with their house so their extended family can move in with her. I believe they are trying to get back tomorrow or the next day. Best of luck.

tvodrd said:
Rick, I sent the remaining funds in my PP account. Hang in there!

Larry

Thanks Larry--- You are always willing to help those of us who are having a difficult time. You (and the rest of CPF) truely give hope in times of despair.

Chop said:
Rick,

I'll keep trying you as I head back to LA.

Please do Tony. My dad and I are getting little sleep at night due to the situation we are in so once we do get to sleep, we are typically getting up around 9-10am cdt these days.

To ALL CPFers---THANKS THANKS THANKS for all your prayers and best wishes and support. I apologize for not quoting all those who have posted but my time allocated to internet is limited right now.

Once I am able, I will reply to all those have have been kind enough to send PP and also to those who can only send their best wishes and prayers. My intention was not to smite anyone by not mentioning them personlly at this time....I WILL when able to.

I have opened all the settings in my PP to be as open as possible. If anyone experiences any problems, I will correct them as soon as I can. I can accept cash and credit cards at [email protected]
Email contact address is rick258(at)gmail(dot)com

My dad and I had our daily great adventure of going to the grocery store and deciding which fabulous frozen tv dinner we woud feast on tonight. Some of these things are not really that bad.

The people here in Dothan, AL have been very gracious, hospitable, generous, caring -- you get the picture -- They should all be honoray members of CPF as they are treating us like family rather than strangers (which we are to them). Granted there is only so much they are able to do, but with the inhumanity and animalistic behavior going on in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in many many areas affected, it is refreshing to see there are still great people in this country willing to help total strangers just as we here on CPF help our extended families even though most of us have not met face to face.

God Bless CPF, the United States of America, all those serving our country ( military, civilian contractors, volunteers both at home and anywhere in the world they are serving).

Rick

rick258

Enlightened
Once again my dad and I sincerely appreciate everything CPF and its members has done for us. We are having to leave our hotel today and thus I will have even more limited access to internet for awhile. I have Bill's contact numbers and if I cannot re-establish internet contact, I will be able to at least reach him.

This cannot be said enough. We are humbled by your outpouring and it has made alot of difference to us.

THANKS

Rick

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PayPal sent to both chop and rick258.

rick258 - Glad to hear Dothan treated you right. My mother's family is from just outside of Dothan in Headland. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, so I could have tried to hook you up with my uncle.

Stay safe!

Had good friends in Dothan (is/was UPS hub) They are back in Texas these days.

Here in East Texas I don't have a lot of money to send. Honestly none.

I offer two things. Heartfelt Prayer, and a Travel Trailer on our property that is suitable for a Bachelor, Couple or POSSIBLY couple with a kid or two. I lived in it for a month.

It ain't a bit fancy. I may be able to provide WiFi.

Eleven dogs live here, but they are mostly harmless. It tends to be very quiet and pretty much quality dark.

I feel this offer is the very least I can do. We had a dinner table discussion about giving someone a place to stay. A CPFer would be perfect!

PM me or email Playboyjoe2002-at-yahoo-dot-com.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys,

Just wanted to say thanks again. I'm hitting the road for N.O. Since Rick is staying put, get in touch with him if you need anything from me. I hate to volunteer Rick for this, but I have no choice. Anyway, he has my number and web access. I'll have my phone, but no web access.

Hopefully, I'll be back within a month or so.

Thanks,

MrMom

Enlightened
I am quite a distance away and given that many will be displaced for several months I would like to offer a spare bedroom in my home to a CPFer affected by this disaster. I live in the Western NY region.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
has anyone seen cajonbabe she is from that area if i recall but perhaps she moved to texas .has anyone seen here?