Kel-Lite repair

Okay I removed the top battery and spinned only the cone all the way down. I tested as described and it seemed to function. I put on the bezel and it kind of works. The whole assembly can't be tightened all the way down though. This light isn't as well thought out as Brinkmann Legend or Maglite it seems.

Not sure I follow entirely, but everything should go all the way together without force and work properly. What's not tightening down? Sometimes batteries interfere with the switch but it doesn't sound like the problem you're having.

It's a very old design (it was the first modern police flashlight) but it's extremely simple. They sold these for over a decade until more modern lights took over.

Oh yeah, just thought of one thing. These lights were designed when batteries were a little smaller. Sometimes if you add up enough alkalines, stacking tolerances mean they're too long for the body. Could be 1/4" difference all together. You can see if things are getting too crowded before you put on the tailcap.

That would explain some things.

Ever so slight difference once the cone is tightened down. Seven times the difference on the longer batteries would add up. What current C cell is made to the old standards?

Attachments

• 66C677C2-6995-4965-8E25-AB65990EEE81.jpeg
    66C677C2-6995-4965-8E25-AB65990EEE81.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 24804F3E-359F-4294-BDB7-55613230F701.jpeg
    24804F3E-359F-4294-BDB7-55613230F701.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Actually just got one that had an ancient GE "Perma-Cell" rechargeable stuck in it (not leaking thankfully) so I can measure a period battery. The old GE cell is the same length as newer Panasonic, Rayovac, and Dorcy carbon-zinc C-cells at about 49mm. The Energizer and Duracell alkalines I have measure between 49-50.5mm, with the newer batteries being the longest. A whole stack of those could be at least 7mm off original specs.

There was some variation is how long they actually made the body tubes so being too snug is a real possiblity.

I have a metric ****tonne of Panasonic carbon zincs at this point. I got a case of 24 Friday at work. Just when I discover the legendary 8 cell PR bulb today I can hardly fit 7 cells in a light.