Kinda impressed with the Cree Maglite 3D

cccpull

Enlightened
I like the rebel versions I scored on BF @ Lowes, maybe they will have the Cree versions this BF.
Yep, did the same last year, but if you're a member of Costco, they have the twin pack (3D + 2AA) for $30 all the time and sometimes drop it to $25.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK retail price is equal to $50 for a basic Mag 3D Rebel led and $30 for the Minimag Rebel led. No sign of any XP-E versions yet either, but the minimag pro looks like it could be good..

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 1st gen LED 3D Mag and figured the new ones wouldn't be THAT much brighter to justify the purchase. The way you all are talking about it, they sound much brighter. :eek:

The original MagLED put out about 50 lumens. The Rebel MagLED puts out around 110. The Cree MagLED puts out around the same amount of light, which means that they've decreased the current to the slightly more efficient XP-E version, which means that you'll get slightly more run time out of that light. Then again, you can always do like me and combine the XP-E can with the Rebel MagLED 2D driver (the hardest driven version) and end up with about 150 lumens.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoping for an XM-L Magcharger!!!

:eek:oo:

Man, even just a few years ago, NOBODY around here would've thought Maglite would EVER do this kind of stuff!

The average Joe out there is going to be providing some competition for us now with these new Mags.... We need more pocket sized XM-L lights and higher binned XP-Gs, quick!! :laughing:

uknewbie

Banned
Hoping for an XM-L Magcharger!!!

:eek:oo:

Man, even just a few years ago, NOBODY around here would've thought Maglite would EVER do this kind of stuff!

The average Joe out there is going to be providing some competition for us now with these new Mags.... We need more pocket sized XM-L lights and higher binned XP-Gs, quick!! :laughing:

I think everyone is forgetting to compare mag to competitors of a similar size.

Even the 2d by todays standards is a very large light.

Think of other brands this size, they totally blow mag away. You get what you pay for right enough.

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 2d last month and I love it. I got a glass lens off eBay for like 8 dollars. It puts my old 4d to shame. I didnt realize it was a cree led. I know they are way better than the first generation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
MiniMag Pro = YEEEEHAAAA !

That's what I'm waiting for. But unfortunately, even Maglite doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Here's their reply when I inquired about it:

"Thank you for choosing Maglite products. Presently, no specs have been released
on the Mini Maglite Pro so we believe you may be referring to the XL200 which is
measured at 173 lumens by ANSI specs. Presently, we don't have a release date
and suggest that you visit our website frequently for updates and/or call our
Sales Department at 800-289-6241 in the next 60-90 days for further information."

The MiniMag Pro is an instant buy for me, if they ever release it…

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
Hmm interested. These don't seem to be listed on Mag-Lite's site

Unless I am talking about a different light, they should be. It is the only 2d and 3d led lights they have I believe. They just upgraded what they originally came out with.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So the ones on there site are cree and cree>rebel? There only listed at 104 and 114 lumens

So the 2 pack lights are both cree leds?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have seen the two packs have the lower outputs. The Cree version is rated at 131 lumens.

I have a lot of led lights and am still impressed with the new Cree maglite. I pretty much disregarded them for many years. But being able to easily pick one up at a local store for such a reasonable price, I couldn't resist trying one.

The output numbers are not exaggerated and appear pretty accurate. So it would compare to some cheap lights claiming close to 200 lumens IMO. But the peak beam candlepower is impressive and is pretty intense. Again, I was extremely skeptical but am happy I decided to give it a try. Is nice knowing it has a lot of runtime on D cells.

The new model reflector is much better than the old models I had with the upgraded LED bulb. It both focuses better and floods better.

So to sum it up- It's just a Maglite. But a much improved one.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Where do I find these I looked at home depot, wal-mart and gander mountain and there all the lower output and the 2 packs are incan?

j2k

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of cree 3D mags yesterday because of this thread and I have to say I'm impressed. Flood mode is very average because of the large black hole in the middle of the beam, but when focused it really throws.

There are some rings and other artifacts in the beam, but nothing compared to a regular maglite. Tint is nice and white. Thanks for heads up!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do I find these I looked at home depot, wal-mart and gander mountain and there all the lower output and the 2 packs are incan?

I know that Lowes has the newest ones. I found mine at Target. The packages at Target come with batteries which is a plus for the same price.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
just checking if all of you are talking about the rebel or xpg ....i was in home depot today and saw the 3D maglite with minimag combo both with a XPG emitter $29 :eek: was so tempted to buy it but i already have a 2D malkoff xpg

update just checking some older threads maybe what i saw was xpe :(

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest Mag has the XPE which replaced the Rebel. If you already have a Malkoff then you would be stepping down with the mag. Unless you want an Inexpensive 3D light.

If someone is looking for a powerhouse D cell light, the new Fenix TK60 has awesome specs. I might have to get one to be my powerhouse light. Put some 10,000ma NiMh D cells in the thing and you got an awesome light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double-check the emitter in the 3D LED...pretty sure it's an XP-E (code 484). The first Maglite to use the XP-G is the XL200, which has code 015.

MillionArrow

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, Is this new LED option available in only the 3D version of the mag or the 2D as well?
Has anyone seen it in the 2D? I was at walmart and was looking at the 2D mags because I have a spot in my truck that will fit a 2D perfect so I wanted to buy it but I didnt know what exactly to look for on the package.
The 2D I saw said:
Beam-298 meters
Lumens-114

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I'm waiting for. But unfortunately, even Maglite doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Here's their reply when I inquired about it:

"Thank you for choosing Maglite products. Presently, no specs have been released
on the Mini Maglite Pro so we believe you may be referring to the XL200 which is
measured at 173 lumens by ANSI specs. Presently, we don't have a release date
and suggest that you visit our website frequently for updates and/or call our
Sales Department at 800-289-6241 in the next 60-90 days for further information."

The MiniMag Pro is an instant buy for me, if they ever release it…

That's crazy. When you click on the ad for the pro, it reads "orders are being accepted immediately", & shipping in 3 to 4 mo.'s (from Jan), instead of in testing phase, targeting Sept. I want one, especially compared to the XL series' gimmicks:

"Bringing back classic simplicity, the Mini Maglite Pro has only two modes: on and off."
:rock:

Latest posts