Kroma or U2A

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Bruce B - I know you were only asking about U2 versus Kroma, but I found this.

MF Forensic All-In-One ALS Flashlight. It is also $1,899.99.

9 LEDs: 2 LEDs per wavelength + 1 White LED

* Wavelengths:
o 470 nm (Blue)
o 495 nm (Cyan)
o 525 nm (Green)
o 850 nm (IR)
o White LED

470 nm Alternate Light Source to help identify Trace Evidence, Gun Shot Residue & Blood Spatter. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface.

Used by Forensic and CSI personnel to Search for:

* Footwear and Other Impressions
* Trace Evidence (Hairs, Fibers, etc.)
* GSR (Gun Shot Residue)
* Blood Spatter

495 nm Alternate Light Source to view Latent Prints processed with Fluorescent Dyes and Powders. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface. Easy to maintain: no bulbs or filters to replace.

* Evidentiary latent prints (fingerprints). Use while applying fluorescent powders to visualize latents as they are processed.

525 nm Alternate Light Source to view Latent Prints processed with Fluorescent Dyes and Powders. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface.

Used by Forensic and CSI personnel to search for

* Evidentiary latent prints (fingerprints). Use while applying fluorescent powders to visualize latents as they are processed.

850 nm Infrared light meant for specialized needs including enhancing Night Vision Systems or for use with Cameras with Infrared Capabilities for Forensic applications.

470 nm, 495 nm, and 525 nm to be used with Orange Goggles

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the blue in that light compare to the kroma blue? for those with a kroma, do you guys have issues twisting the tailcap? It has a lot of resistance compared to my A2 aviator. I have difficulty twisting the tail cap with one hand. I usually have to hold the body with one hand and then twist the tailcap.

I guess maybe I should get some gel to lube the threads but I cant see that making a huge difference.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Enlightened
Bruce B - I know you were only asking about U2 versus Kroma, but I found this.

MF Forensic All-In-One ALS Flashlight. It is also $1,899.99.

9 LEDs: 2 LEDs per wavelength + 1 White LED

* Wavelengths:
o 470 nm (Blue)
o 495 nm (Cyan)
o 525 nm (Green)
o 850 nm (IR)
o White LED

470 nm Alternate Light Source to help identify Trace Evidence, Gun Shot Residue & Blood Spatter. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface.

* Footwear and Other Impressions
* Trace Evidence (Hairs, Fibers, etc.)
* GSR (Gun Shot Residue)
* Blood Spatter

495 nm Alternate Light Source to view Latent Prints processed with Fluorescent Dyes and Powders. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface. Easy to maintain: no bulbs or filters to replace.

525 nm Alternate Light Source to view Latent Prints processed with Fluorescent Dyes and Powders. Provides oblique lighting when set on floors, counters or similar surface.

Used by Forensic and CSI personnel to search for

850 nm Infrared light meant for specialized needs including enhancing Night Vision Systems or for use with Cameras with Infrared Capabilities for Forensic applications.

470 nm, 495 nm, and 525 nm to be used with Orange Goggles

Anyone want to donate 2,000 dollars to the help Bruce B afford this flashlight fund? :anyone:

Thanks for the link Flashlight Aficionado but unfortunatly that is currently way out of my budget. :(

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the blue in that light compare to the kroma blue? for those with a kroma, do you guys have issues twisting the tailcap? It has a lot of resistance compared to my A2 aviator. I have difficulty twisting the tail cap with one hand. I usually have to hold the body with one hand and then twist the tailcap.

I guess maybe I should get some gel to lube the threads but I cant see that making a huge difference.

My tailcap on my Kroma is very hard to twist as well. But that is picking it up off my dresser. After twisting it on, it twists easier after that. Almost like it gets "froze-up" from not being twisted. I mainly use momentary when I use my Kroma, so it's not broken in by any means. I would guess with more use that it would be easier to twist.

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
Maybe once I get through schooling and actually get a job in the field, I may be able to afford it then.

Bruce when you get the job they will provide them. No need to sweat that!

I myself want a Kroma Milspec but trust me, the U2A will be useful for classes. Expanding on what I said before, the variable levels will help with footprints etc, as you are moving the light and brightness to get the best contrast for pictures. For classes, just bring your own gear, and don't assume the school has decent stuff, if they do be pleasently suprised. Just get the appropriate filter if you want colors

Spence

Enlightened
I own a U2 and after my heart attack last year I got a delivery from UPS one day and it was a personally autographed (believe it) Kroma Mil spec, personal gift from non other than PK himself (God and lord master at SureFire). In his personal note with it, he mentioned "have fun playing with my Kroma". For real life flashlight duties it's the U2 all the way, however, for true flashaholics that have SureFire collections, you need a Kroma just for play. BTW would someone educate me about the improvements with the U2A?
Thanks.
thinking.gif

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a U2 and after my heart attack last year I got a delivery from UPS one day and it was a personally autographed (believe it) Kroma Mil spec, personal gift from non other than PK himself (God and lord master at SureFire). In his personal note with it, he mentioned "have fun playing with my Kroma". For real life flashlight duties it's the U2 all the way, however, for true flashaholics that have SureFire collections, you need a Kroma just for play. BTW would someone educate me about the improvements with the U2A?
Thanks.
thinking.gif

That is a wonderful story! Way to go PK and I am glad you are over your HA Spence.

The U2A is one of the finest lights on the planet. Surefire took the U2 (one of the best lights of all time) and upgraded it with a modern LED for better runtime, throw and a truly flawless beam. The dynamic range is wider also as the U2A has a truly low low beam.

It is not the brightest light on the market but it is plenty bright with a great runtime on high.

cl0123

Enlightened
  1. U2A. Multi-levels and most generally do not need multi-color lights.
  2. K2. Great back-up for the U2A, at least in my case.
Well said. CPF enthusiasts would eventually be persuaded to get BOTH.

These are the two lights that guard my nightstand and would most likely come with me especially if I cannot reach my BOB.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Spence

Enlightened
Hey :)>
Thanks for edumacating me on what may just be my next/newest light from SF. BTW kudos on your moniker, I love it and follow your posts.
Spence
naughty.gif
wink2.gif