KT1 turbohead for a 6p

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Does any one have any advice on using the SF KT1 turbo head on a 6p, is it worth the cost or will using a P61 lamp assembly provide a similar throw of light ? Would it become too bulky to fit on a belt, I have been unable to locate an image of the turbohead fitted to the 6p and it is hard to judge as to actually how big the two items together are. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I don't have a 6 volt turbo, but I've read they don't measure up as far as turbos go. You might want to do a search on turbos, Brightnorm has done tests on turbos and he has posted some very good info. I read all of these and I got a Surefire M3T & a SRTH. Another option is the Streamlight TL-3. If you want to belt carry a 6 volt I think the Pelican M6 might be the way to go. Please do yourself a favor a do a search on these. There is much to learn & you can save yourself some money and be satisfied with your light.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the KT1 Turbohead for my D2 (same as a 6P with the addition of clip), and didn't use it for long. I really didn't like the form factor or appearance, and it was a pain to carry since it wouldn't easily slide in a pocket anymore. I ended up getting a 9V bulb for it and installing it on a SF 9P. I like it much better than the 6V with Turbohead. When I belt carry the 9P+Turbohead now, I use a Bianchi open carrier designed for a nightstick, fits great.

IMO the only advantage of the 6P+KT1 over the 6P+P61 is the tighter spot the turbohead gives, and is hardly worth the added cost. My advice would be (assuming you already own the SF 6P) to either stick with the 6P and P61 bulb, or if you really need the tight spot and slightly longer throw, get the A19 extender and go with the 9V turbohead. The 6V turbohead just feels really awkward to me with the large head and short body.

-Keith

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Spike and welcome to the forums! In my opinion, the KT1, (and KT2 which is the same), turbo head is really a nice piece of work! I really like it's thick, quality construction and it's nice, thick Pyrex lens. You can also upgrade it with some of SF's most powerful LA's if you want to use it later with different battery configurations.

Yes, as Keith alluded to, it's 2 1/2" wide so it won't be as handy for pocket carry. It throws very well however and will surprise you in fog, smoky and cloudy conditions and even through windows.

The KT1 comes standard with a N1 lamp assembly that many have said is not powerful enough. I disagree in that if you want a nice round beam with the most throw for a Surefire 6V such as your 6P, it is great!

Another benefit to it is that when you set it down on your bedside table, the 2 1/2" width insures it won't be knocked over easily!

Size15's

Flashaholic
My "night-stand" (we call them bedside tables in the UK) light is the 12PM with 3" diameter "T" Extended Range TurboHead and the N62 500Lu/12min Lamp. It's far more stable then the 2.5" diameter TurboHeads...

The N1 beam is a nice beam. The trouble is that I've got far more powerful flashlights so the KT1 on the 6P (in my case usually the G2Z) is not that impressive.

SureFire%20G2-KT1%20&%20others%2064.jpg

If you get an A19 body extender for your 6P and the KT2 TurboHead - the N2 is a fantastic beam that shows you that there is a real difference between 65Lu and 105Lu.

I used a yellow G2 for contrast here:
SureFire%20G2-YL%20A19%20KT2%2064.jpg

The TurboHeads do serve important function but do not make easy casual EDC. Usually I pick a TurboHead model for a specific use.

Al

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the advice, it seems that a turbohead is not the way forward on a 6p but I like the idea of the KT2 on a 9p.....this flashlight thing is an expensive and addictive thing.