Law enforcement. help

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
4. No LED's, I dont believe they have a good throw.
was thinking about getting the Streamlight Strion.
I always wonder on this. :thinking:
noone wants a Led, but has never ever seen one in action.

My SF 9N or 9NT are all stronger than Strion and such,
and NOW I use my Cree @ 1 A, Flupic and 18650 modded SF 6P.
several levels, 2+ hours on full and seems way brighter than the above incans.
Sure, not these last 10 meters of throw the turbohead offers, but at that size and power of the incan, the led is way better.

Why not give an actual powerful led light like the L2D-CE a try? Its just half of the cost You plan.
If You are not confident (which I would wonder), You still can get a high power Li-Ion incan from Dealextreme or one ot the Li-Ion lights at lighthound (f.e. the 18650 Scorpion). http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=53
(which will all be eaten by a led at 1 A)

PS: the Stinger looks like a perfect host for a led-mod: 18650 already fits in, enough space inside head for big heatsink + reflector

Last edited:

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
But remember i'm going to something compact. 7in. or less.

How are you gonna beat an inmate with a light no longer than 7 inches. If you didn't have to use it for self defense I would have suggested a Streamlight strion. It's compact yeah. Can't have both, a baton and a compact light in the same package.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Strion is an excellent light and should fit your use very well. The bulb is highly resistant to breaking if dropped.

If your use is too much for 1 battery pack, they make a piggyback version. 1 light, 2 batteries, and a charger built to charge the light and the extra pack at the same time.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
As far as I'm aware (which is not much, I'm still new to this) the smallest, cheapest, most robust incand is a Princeton Tech Rage. I have one – it's got a great output for its size, and quite a useful clip built into the plastic frame. It's the only incand light that I still use (which is quite the inflammatory remark around here).

The only drawback is that hardened cons aren't going to be intimidated by a cheery yellow plastic light. Maybe if they made a strike bezel... or did a version in olive drab or desert tan. Same drawback with my bright yellow G2 - I'll never drop it and not find it, but no one's gonna think, "Man! wouldn't want that upside the head!" :twak:

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
Well today is the day I'm going to buy something. It's between two lights. What I want is for you to help me pick the best of these two.....

1. Steamlight Strion <----Need i say more.
2. Fenix L2D-CE <---Awesome run time at 165 lumens

If you were in my sisuation which would you get, and why??????

Thanks for the help.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
now i have heard enough,you need a polypropylene african walking stick and add on a photon freedom clone.cost around $30.00.it's led but the cheapest combo for attacking inmates.:crackup::lolsign:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not positive which Fenix you may be looking at (there are now several limited editions out there now--each slightly brighter than the last)--but the standard L2D-CE is rated at 135 Lumen and the P3D-CE is 160 Lumen (a significant difference in output with be numbers that are over 2x or 1/2x different in Lumen rating)...

That said, there is not much visible difference between those two values. If you want rechargeable, the L2D-CE on NiMH 2xAA's is probably a better match for your needs. Is a bit longer than the P3D...

The P3D-CE runs better (longer) on 2x CR123A primaries. The rechargeable '123A's just don't hold as much power and have little warning when out of juice.

If you need adjustable lights (bed check?), then either would be nice because of the multiple levels available.

-Bill

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This was the funniest thread. You could hear the shrieking start as soon as his words "No LED's, I dont believe they have a good throw." were read.

Mansell2's first post was truly an excellent one. It really seems you need an LED for up close, and Incan for longer distances, & meting out "corporal corrections."

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Well today is the day I'm going to buy something. It's between two lights. What I want is for you to help me pick the best of these two.....

1. Steamlight Strion <----Need i say more.

If you were in my sisuation which would you get, and why??????

Thanks for the help.
Strion - tried and tested under the duties you perform, and it fulfills all your requirements.

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
I really can't believe I got to this point. I no longer want a Strion... I want an LED light. :eek: And I want a Fenix, you really can't beat the price for the power. And I was looking at some comparsion of the L2D-CD and the P3D-CE. I was really impressed by their proformance and beam.

So its now between....

1. Fenix L2D-CE
2. Fenix P3D-CE

So which of the two are better? I know the stronger one is the P3. But about the batteries how much are each battery, where are the best place to get them, what are best to use in them? For sure it's between these two lights. HELP ME I'M BREAKING MY HEAD OVER THESE DAMN LIGHTS. :banghead:

d123

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3D CE can be run on rechargeables, either the RCR123 or the 17670 which is supposed to give long run times.
I think the run-time graphs for the 17670 have been posted on here.

Dave

Optik49

Enlightened
Get the Fenix P3D and don't look back. Don't worry about the rechargeable option, pick up a box of Surefire 123's and you get at least a year out of them, for the amount of time you will run the light. Also you will never need to remember to charge it. Keep an extra set of batteries in your bag or locker and off you go.
Oh ya, I bet within one week of having the P3D, you will feel the need to buy another light. It's addictive.

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
Should I place an order for the P3D L80? It comes with a Rebel LED and it comes out in about a week.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Damn....I'm not even an LED Jockey, and I think I want to pre-order one of those P3D's. What's the CPF discount code there again? I should have it from my P1D-CE...I gotta see this 160 Lumen Turbo mode from a single LED.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn....I'm not even an LED Jockey, and I think I want to pre-order one of those P3D's. What's the CPF discount code there again? I should have it from my P1D-CE...I gotta see this 160 Lumen Turbo mode from a single LED.
The P3D-L100 puts out 200 lumens on Turbo.