Leatherman Monarch 500

bspofford

Enlightened
Anyone found these outside of CA? You guys get all the cool stuff. :(

Colorado Costco stores still have them, but I don't recommend this light. I bought a bunch around Christmas then returned them because they are nice on the outside and cheap on the inside. Yes, they are reasonably bright, but I can get similar brightness with better quality online for less.:thumbsdow

5kids

Newly Enlightened
Tempe AZ still has them along with a coast single AA's and a weird coast diming headlamp. I compared all of them to my EDC L1D and my L1D seemed brigher then all of them even with a 1.2V eneloop. If these drop to 1/2 price I might consider.

DaveG

Enlightened
Looks like this one just made it to stores in CT.Waterbury and Milford have them.

ETCSMat

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the L M 500's right here. It has a battery holder insert that holds 3 AAA's. I was trying to find out which CREE it had. Q5? P4? I'm not sure how to tell.
vr Mat

ETCSMat

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the L M 500's right here. It has a battery holder insert that holds 3 AAA's. I was trying to find out which CREE it had. Q5? P4? I'm not sure how to tell.
It sure is a nice torch. The focusing is OK, but leaves a pupil look if you widen it any at all. Not sure I'm going to like that.
vr Mat

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one yesterday before reading this thread. The light is great for the price.

I don't understand alot of people here saying this light is cheaply made. The machining and threads are excellent on the copy I picked up. The light has a "Q" Bin led as you can see the 4 wires leading to the die.

You can pick this one up locally with a nice carrying case and 6 battery's and in my opinion get a nice bright quality light or you can order something overseas and waite 2 months to receive it take you chances if it even works.

pick up a set of AAA Eneloops and be done with it :)

Mac

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one of these lights up today. My Princeton Tec FUEL broke last night. I went to stock up on some batteries and chewing gum like usual, but I ended up getting this light also ($30).

I really liked the pouch and the batteries that were included. I don't think this light is regulated, but I really wish it were, and I wish there were multiple settings besides the "145" lumen output. I personally like the AAA usage, as I stocked up on these for my PT headlamp, and these aren't hard to find like those CR123 and coincells. The pouch is a good bonus too. Somehow I'll feel less geeky carrying a leatherman accessory.

This is actually my first light ever, besides that POS PT headlamp I got as a gift. I hope it suits me. I'm looking at probably getting an Arc AAA in May when I get paid. It's almost dark. Time to do some exploring. Bye-bye plastic PT Headlamp, hello Stainless Steel! :D

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
The light has a "Q" Bin led as you can see the 4 wires leading to the die.

Is there a post or thread somewhere that describes how to identify bins like that? My LM has the "phosphor all over" and three bond wires.

This light is my EDC now that my Seoul-modified Hokus Fokus frogeye lens has proven to be rather vulnerable to scuffing.

SFTech

Newly Enlightened
Costco just got in a new batch of these lights if anyone is interested. For $30 they're great to have sitting around.

Updated 05/17/08.
The NorCal stores are sold out again.

Last edited:

5kids

Newly Enlightened
Lots of these (100+?) at the new Costco in East Mesa AZ (OK its 1 mile from the old one). Still haven't bought one, I'll be waiting for them to go on clearance.
BTW they Costco no longer sells their 3D + Mini Mag combo, but they do have a much worse SNAP-ON branded Kypton bulb combo.

Roger B

Newly Enlightened
I do not understand these postings about 6 AAA batteries. I have my same unit in hand and it has only 3 AAA, bought at COSTCO.:thinking:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
They give you 3 extra AAA batteries that's why the total is 6 AAA batteries.

Mattssacre

Newly Enlightened
I just bought 10 of these from costco. They dropped the price here in San Diego cause they werent selling. Trying to flip a profit on ebay. :) But good luck with that as ebay and paypal fees are getting stupid. Typically i sell them for around 45-50 including shipping. So $30 from costco is a deal if you ask me.

Mattssacre

Newly Enlightened
Just found out this evening that its holder works quite well for my Eagletac T10c2 :)

EvAzRt

Newly Enlightened
This light had worked out for me. It was not build well on the inside and the part that holds the batteries broke soon after I got it but put some super glue on it and it worked as my go to flash light in till now. It has a problem with the on/off button now. I am going to try and bring it back to life but I would buy two if i ever saw them again.

makanramen

Newly Enlightened
I have a question. I bought this light at Costco a while ago. The batteries went flat and so I swapped them out. When I reassembled my flashlight and turned it on, the LED was barely glowing. I could see that it was just on and square shaped. Dimmer than me in statistics class :D

I tried several sets of batteries with the same result and then gave up on it and it turned into a paperweight on my desk.

Found this forum and thought I'd ask if my light is dead or not? Has anyone here heard of this happening to their light?