lens cleaning dereelight

Patriot

Flashaholic
My DBS lens was also fogged on the inside and I was able to clean it.

That said, the 41.8mm UCL lens from Flashlight Lens fits although it's slightly smaller. It has better transmissive qualities than the DBS lens too.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wait and see how Alan responds this time. I told him about the dirty lens and he supplied no solution to me.
Oh strange that!:thinking:
I quote you from another thread:your words,
[Due to no good replacement for this lens available, I got my money back from Alan. I will re-consider to buy one if a solution is there, though.]

I know that is not the ideal solution but it is a solution :D

[edited]@owner as you had your money back,did you have to send the DBS back to Alan?

Last edited:

owner

Newly Enlightened
Oh strange that!:thinking:
I quote you from another thread:your words,
[Due to no good replacement for this lens available, I got my money back from Alan. I will re-consider to buy one if a solution is there, though.]

I know that is not the ideal solution but it is a solution :D

[edited]@owner as you had your money back,did you have to send the DBS back to Alan?
I paid the transportation fee and returned the torch. Now I'm not an owner of a DBS V2. It's a solution of owning nothing.

IcantC

Enlightened
FWIW I sent Alan a link to this and response was
Every lense seems same result if you turn on the light and view it at angle.

...? Yet not everyone has this problem. I will now PM dealer I purchased this from.

Lastly I did not use anything to clean it, only a microfiber cloth to try and wipe off the weird X "stain" inside.

I am sure this impacts light transmission.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just screw the reflector out and and the lens will fall out. Use the cloth that comes the DBS and give it a good cleaning. Mine was like thta also but now its clean.

I can't remove the reflector by hand. It is stuck. What did I do wrong?

do I need to get plyer to remove the reflector?

owner

Newly Enlightened
FWIW I sent Alan a link to this and response was

...? Yet not everyone has this problem. I will now PM dealer I purchased this from.

Lastly I did not use anything to clean it, only a microfiber cloth to try and wipe off the weird X "stain" inside.

I am sure this impacts light transmission.
When did you purchase your flashlight? I bought mine in October. As I know, all the flashlights in the recent batch have the fogged lens issue, more or less. I don't understand why Dereelight still sells them. It is obvious lack of quality assurance and eveyone with this fogged lens should have a free good replacement.

Max Power

Newly Enlightened
Great! :mecry:

I bought my DBS V2 on the 31st of October! :paypal::oops:Until then I havn't read anything about this lens issue and the possibility of buying a R2 Bin.

My mails get rejected at both Dereelight addresses :thinking: and the only way I see to contact Dereelight is through the CPF but obviously not for a newbie! :thinking: What a great day. I hope he sees this and stops the shipment for my order until the lens problem is completely solved. This light was supposed to be a gift!

Transaction: 0SR366450A665105G

I would also love to get the R2 Bin.:whistle:

This was my first overseas purchase! :scowl::mad::scowl::mad:

I hope their dedication to outstanding quality flashlights will be shown in a very fast solution for this.

Max

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my DBS V2 last June and the lens is as clear as can be. Perhaps they (Deree) got a bad batch from their supplier.BTW I love this light and can't wait to see what upgrade will be available in the future.

Max Power

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone receive a perfect DBS yet, that was ordered around the end of October?

How come that every attempt to write an email to Dereelight is rejected with an "Anti-Spam" massage. Who experienced something similar?

Max

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is very unusual for dereelight,normally their communication and products are high quality.I do believe they withdrawn the DBS for now due to the lens problem,but how any with defective len got out :shrug::thinking:

lets hope it is all sorted out soon :twothumbs

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a foggy lens, but FlashCrazy already took care of me with an acceptable replacement, with no need to send the original back.

All I did was send him a PM and he was fast about responding. :thumbsup:

No need to get excited :sssh:

===

I did some measuring of the original lens with calipers, here are my results.

Diameter: 43.36 mm, or 1.707 inch
Thickness: 2.45 mm or 0.0965 inch

I was considering going through my lights and upgrading lenses with 99% transmission product from FlashlightLens dot com. However, they don't have this size for the DBS, 41.8 mm x 1.9 mm is the closest. This is for the Tiablo A8/A9. Does anyone have such a Tiablo to test how the lens would fit a DBS?

Edit: I ordered one of these lenses and will report back with how it fits.

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Well I contacted Flashcrazy who is aware of this problem. Dereelight is looking for a new supplier of lens.

So once new lens are made available, I will be sent one.

Paul, I have an A9. I will try swapping the lens tonight and report back results tomorrow :).

IcantC

Enlightened
Tiablo A9 lens did fit DBS. It is smaller but worked using the GITD o ring that comes with the A9.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the lens I got from flashlightlens was too small to work with the o-ring. :shrug:

Meanwhile my Dereelight C2H lens got strange after a reflector change and having cleaned it with plain water. It was foggy with spots. I tried to clean the spots, and they got bigger. Under a microscope I found out the antireflective coating was rubbing away.

I took a simple wooden toothpick, and without much force at all, I removed all the antireflective coating. I couldn't believe how easy it went away, almost like a coating of sugar on a glazed donut.

Never had these problems with other lights, Dereelight needs a new source for AR lenses. :poke:

Electric Factory

Newly Enlightened
Whoa. I was moments away from ordering a DBS when I stumbled onto this thread.
Can anyone report that the lens coating was finally resolved and that the currently shipping DBS V2 3SM Q5 is problem free ?
I am really excited about trying this light having read hundreds of CPF posts, very disappointing to read today about lens issues.
By the way, does anyone have a DBS V2 3SM Q5 ? Is this the model DBS I want for great throw ?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa. I was moments away from ordering a DBS when I stumbled onto this thread.
Can anyone report that the lens coating was finally resolved and that the currently shipping DBS V2 3SM Q5 is problem free ?
I am really excited about trying this light having read hundreds of CPF posts, very disappointing to read today about lens issues.
By the way, does anyone have a DBS V2 3SM Q5 ? Is this the model DBS I want for great throw ?

Yes, Dereelight has changed suppliers for the lenses, they're clear now. They're all shipping with the new lenses. :) Yes, the DBS 3SM is the one with the throw. Also the 3SD and 1S.. they deliver the same current to the emitter.

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Dereelight has changed suppliers for the lenses, they're clear now. They're all shipping with the new lenses. :) Yes, the DBS 3SM is the one with the throw. Also the 3SD and 1S.. they deliver the same current to the emitter.
I just received my DBS V3 3SD XP-G R5 on 5/17/10 and it has the cloudy lens. I emailed Dereelight and they replied they would send me a new one. As old as this thread is, you would think someone over there would at least look at these lights before shipping them. Sheesh!

Last edited: