LF2X Key attachment mod

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
I made a simple mod using a paperclip. I bent it so that it would fit where the pocket clip fits. I then just attached a small split ring and put it back on my keys. Maybe someone else will find this useful.

Sorry about the picture quality, it's from a cell phone.

lf2x-keyring-mod.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did something similar, but I used two split rings linked together:

Click thumbnail to see full size.

The light is several mm shorter by not having the extra length of the unreliable "quick release".

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
I updated the mod. Now I have both the keys and the clip. Sorry about the picture. My cell phone just can't take a decent shot up close.

LF2X-mod-2.jpg

LED Cool

Enlightened
nice mod kevo!

would love to see how you manage to fit both clip and the paper clip keyring into the clip holder. can you post a picture showing how both clip fit into the holder?

thanks.
khoo

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
Here are some better pictures. I used the cut off wheel on my dremel to make the small notches for the paperclip wire. I cut back the ends on the pocket clip to make room for the key chain loop. Pretty straight forward and very useful IMO.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually pretty elegant, now that I understand what you did. Mine doesn't even have the clip attachment on there at all, but just uses a second split ring around the rear "post". The advantage of my "crappy" solution though is that the light is about 4mm shorter by not having the clip and threaded cap installed. I presume before you simply threaded our "paperclip" through the slots for the regular clip, then added the dremel holes so you could run both simultaneously.

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
I presume before you simply threaded our "paperclip" through the slots for the regular clip, then added the dremel holes so you could run both simultaneously.

That's pretty much it. I found myself adding on the pocket clip fairly regularly. We had a roof leak recently and I needed to do some work in the attic. I'd come home, pull the light off my keys and add the clip. Then when I was done I'd take off the clip and put it back on my keys.

I found myself doing this quite frequently, and sometimes I'd need the light at work and pull it off my keys, then not be able to clip it to my shirt when I needed to use both hands.

The final motivation was thinking I had lost my light twice because it didn't stay attached to my keys. Once I found it in the pocket of my pants that I had been wearing previously. And the other time it was actually in my wife's car.

That's the reason I decided I had to have a regular key attachment and I came up with the paperclip idea. I did just what you suggested and put it in the existing cut outs. Once I knew that worked I saw there was no reason I couldn't have both.

Now when I need to take the light off my keys I can clip to my shirt until I'm done with it and it goes back on the keys, and I know it will stay there now. :)

This is my all time favorite key chain accessory. I used to have a big mag lite in my truck, but it got stolen. I don't even feel I need a light in my truck now. I'm hanging on tight to this little jewel.:thumbsup:

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
I'm using an AW LiIon. I originally used a NiMH and was pretty happy with that. With the LiIon, I have high set to 50% which is pretty much the same as NiMH on 100% and I get longer run time. I have an NiMH around for backup.

I did turn on the over discharge protection as well.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm using an AW LiIon. I originally used a NiMH and was pretty happy with that. With the LiIon, I have high set to 50% which is pretty much the same as NiMH on 100% and I get longer run time. I have an NiMH around for backup.

I did turn on the over discharge protection as well.

Yep, exactly the same for me.

BTW, that's a very nice looking mod!