Light diffuse options?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

I would just like to hear what some of your favorite light diffuse options are. Some time ago I picked up some diffuse film from a seller on the MP. It is a small square sheet of an adhesive back film (like contact paper), but has a rough surface on one side. "WriteRight" is the name of it. This was not clear stuff I have seen, but has a diffuser type surface. It works ok, its better on small lights, but you can see lines like a tiny checker board running through it unless you apply 2 layers.

I have also seen the flashlightlens lexan diffuser, but buying a new lens every time I want to do this is not ideal.

Another thing I have done is to put glass etching on the lens to sort of "frost" it, the result from this was not so much to my liking, it does work well for frosting incan bulbs, but I mostly want to use this for led applications.

Has anyone else found the WriteRight film with the diffuse pattern on it?
If yes where did you get it?

What other types of diffuse film have you guys tried ( I would prefer something smooth with fairly good transparency)?

Thanks

gillestugan

Enlightened
I and Tobias Bossed made extensive testing of the efficieancy and diffusing effect of various diffusing materials.
You can find the results in this thread

unfortunately we couldn't find any material that was both good and reasonably priced.
I spent over 100+ houres searching and testing only to find out normal frosted glass was was thebest option when it came to price/performance ratio.
Best of all was the holografic diffusers, but they were like $450 for a 4X4 inch sheet.