light for a motorcycle

goose

Newly Enlightened
Long time reading first time poster. I ride a motorcycle at night time very offten with a group of other riders. We like to ride in the hills and some canyons around Los Angeles area. I been thinking about adding LED's lights to the side of the bike so when i lean into the turn it would light the corner. If you ride a motorcycle you know that when you go into a corner and you lean your bike you lose the light. You end up riding into a dark turn with realy not seeing the road. So here goes my Q I would like to install 3w or 5w led's. Where can i buy the LED's for a good price and how can i wire then into the bike electrical system?? I were thinking about 4-5 LED's on each side. I would love to get some help. Thanks in advence.

Sasha

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
goose said:
Long time reading first time poster. I ride a motorcycle at night time very offten with a group of other riders. We like to ride in the hills and some canyons around Los Angeles area. I been thinking about adding LED's lights to the side of the bike so when i lean into the turn it would light the corner. If you ride a motorcycle you know that when you go into a corner and you lean your bike you lose the light. You end up riding into a dark turn with realy not seeing the road. So here goes my Q I would like to install 3w or 5w led's. Where can i buy the LED's for a good price and how can i wire then into the bike electrical system?? I were thinking about 4-5 LED's on each side. I would love to get some help. Thanks in advence.

Sasha
Easy - Since you can run the LEDs off the 12V electricals, all you need is a resistor of the appropriate value. Pick up some SSC P4 emitters here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445
and wire up it up in series with a resistor. Assume your bike's going to output 13.2V or so and find the appropriate resistance for, say 700mA. Slap it all together with a reflector/optic and you're done.

What do you ride? My '93 CBR600 is over the hill but works well.

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
I hate to say it but LED's would not be my first choice or even my second for multiple reasons. Simply a higher watt stock bulb can do wonders if your wiring is up to it. For some bikes a HID would also be a good option in place of the normal bulb. Also note that bike's often let their volts go 10-14 in normal opperation so a simple resistor is not the best option if you go that rout.

OK first what bike- for most you can adjust the headlights to see better in curves.
Second remember for night vision you do not want to look directly at the object side vision is more sensitive in the dark. Look in the distance- even ahead of you where you can actualy make changes. If you look close to you and the bike the light from the headlight is too bright so you loose night vison.On top of that if you are looking too close you dont have time to react anyway.

If you have the added lights from LED's focused too close you will loose night vision for no gain and easaly loose ability to see.

The biggest thing though is blinding oncomming trafic and riders in fromt of you if you dont have a focused beam like in a headlight it is seriously dangerous in a curve! Even the high beams dont have as much spill as most flashlights.

LED's also have a diffrent tint that may hide sand etc than normal lights.

I usualy lead but I pretty much refuse to let anyone with aftermarket lights get close behind me.

The only good option would be to have the lights pointed forward with extra dise spill and make sure they are mounted with the main lights or you can get some serious gosting.

Not trying to be harsh but I and my frends have tried this many times before often with it being so dangerous they took it of on the side of the road.

BTW if you get on the gas gently all through the turn it will help you maintain better lighting brake or get off the gas and the front end will dive.

If you have any detaild questions on bies you can always PM me I race or do untill I run out of cash.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above. I have been riding bikes for 20 years and I'm a BIG fan of LED lights but I wouldn't do it. Change the stock 55-65 watt bulb to a 55-100 or 80-100. Makes a huge difference. I did this on every bike since my small 500cc and they could all handle it OK.

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
I like to run 85-100W in my bikes. I have not seen many problems with using high watts It is a rare bike that wont do it. Simply feel the outside of the wire after riding the bike. Yamaha and Kawasaki never have had a problem but they use relays. Honda and Suzuky can rarly ahve a problem but it is usualy easy to spot. If there is anyting you dont want to suddenly loose it is the lights.

Sorry for that disjointed post I will try to fix the grammer when I get off work.

goose

Newly Enlightened
Hi Zeeexsixare, i ride an 05 suzuki SV650 . I have two extra lights installed on the bike each is 55w they realy light up the road. I like the idea of two extra lights as i can adj both to comliment the main light. I have noticed that at idle the light might go dimmer as its putting extra strain on the system. The bike is rated at 300w electrical charging. Its also fuel injected. I just thought that the LED's would put little strain on the electrical and give me more light in the turns. What i would realy like to do is find the head lights off a BMW or MBZ and install them on the bike. Im trying to find something not expansive so i call the junk yards everyonce in a while. so from what i read LED's might not be the right color.

Sasha

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
I just coverted my H4 lighting to a HID, makes a killer difference. Here's a pics on my '06 M109R
09d666a0ae2efcfc42d5e1b81a021d8b0_large.jpg

goose

Newly Enlightened
Hi BlackZ28 If i may ask where did you get the HID system from?? how much did you pay for it?? How is the light throw on it?? Does it go all over the place or does is have the same cut off point as with the H4?? I have heard that on some systems it ends up throwing the light all over the place with no cut off points with half the light going up.

sasha

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
I got the HID setup from http://www.xenonrider.com/
I got the 6000K Hi-Lo H-4 system from them when it was on sale for $129.00. The cut-off point is very distinct because of the stock reflector, but extending the side spill lighting about 5 ft wider on each side. Before, freeway ramps only lights the center of the ramp, now both shoulders are well lit also.
Here's a pic during early evening
bd407843d38b5f78d41f0a23167998340_large.jpg

and the M109R itself
a8b7e8034230f9fb8d7a87112ebee3650_large.jpg

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
i was wondering the same thing.
how will the LEDs hold up ok in the hot afternoon temperatures in the car park for about 8 hours a day?
Probably not a problem in cooler climates, but tropical n warmer areas where the temp averages at 32°C at mid day, surface temp on the bike is even higher

goose

Newly Enlightened
Black thats a nice looking bike very nice and flowing lines. Thanks for the link this place is not very far from me, cool.

X2X3X2 I dont think it would make any diffrence as im sure you keep your flashlights in the car. Unless you keep the windows open it would get much hotter inside the car then a bike sitting outside.

sasha

goose

Newly Enlightened
Black if i may ask you why did you choose the 6,000k lights ??? The 4,300 should be much brighter.

sasha

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I'm not 100% sure but aren't there motorcycle manufacturers who have a headlight that stays level in a lean/turn situation? This keeps your beam oriented correctly in a turn instead of being turned up and away from your turn. This is an expensive addition so I'm pretty sure it was a BMW that I saw this on, or one of the Italian manufacturers.

I adjusted the aim of my low beam up a few degrees from stock, this helped with my distance or "throw" but I still lose visibility in corners at night. Usually it is not too much of a problem because there are street lights and other vehicles/cages around to help out with lighting. For those times when there is no additional lights I have resorted to just slowing down before I hit the turn.

I thought about going HID for a little bit, but after doing research I found this to be more of a band aid than a real solution. The problem is that, on my bike anyway, the projection beam optics in my headlight housing are in no way designed to properly focus and or project light from an HID bulb. With an improperly installed HID bulb in a housing designed for a regular incandesent (sp?) bulb you may be doing more damage to your visibility. If your light is aimed wrong, you can blind oncoming traffic, maybe not so bad at first thought, but it could potentially cause a collision. That is what we are trying to avoid. Also there are concerns about side spill and glare reducing our own ability to see. They may look cool, but if not done correctly that's all they are.

If you go over to hidplanet.com you can see some beam shots of car conversions. Basically they are taking a sealed automotive housing, heating it up and taking off the front window from the rear housing. Then they install a scavenged or new set of optics/holders designed for HID and then glue the window back on. There are some very impressive beam shots, especially when you compare them to a shot of someone who justs installs one of these replacement HID kits that basically just goes in where your old incandesent bulb was with no modifications to reflectors/optics.

The best way to go HID imo is to remove your housing and seperate the front window from the rear housing and replace the stock incandesent optics/reflector like they do with the auto's. I don't know if this would help with cornering visibility/light distribution but it may. From the HID beam shots I've seen they have more side"spill" ( I don't like to say spill in this case as it is intentional and to me spill implies something that was an afterthought).

I would have gone this route myself but there were several attempts by people to take apart the housing on the same model/year bike as mine and they all either failed and ruined the headlight housing or were just unsuccessful. I have read good reports on almost all Japanese manufacturers with people having success on taking apart their housings.

Good luck in your search for better visibility!

PS: one surefire solition I've found is to have one of the guys with a cruiser that is decked out with lights/cupholders/radio lead the way at night. We just have to make sure he maintains speed to keep his battery charged!

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
Smoken Joe said:
I like to run 85-100W in my bikes. I have not seen many problems with using high watts It is a rare bike that wont do it. Simply feel the outside of the wire after riding the bike. Yamaha and Kawasaki never have had a problem but they use relays. Honda and Suzuky can rarly ahve a problem but it is usualy easy to spot. If there is anyting you dont want to suddenly loose it is the lights.

I agree. I have always changed out my stock 55/65 watt bulbs for the 80/100 bulbs on the Viragos and 'Wings I have owned. Definitely made a difference.

As for using LEDS to light up corners, not really a good idea because LEDs are fairly low contrast and you would not be able to see any sand in the curves or corners. I have known a couple friends that wiped out going around a turn because they couldn't see the sand due to thier high temp colour headlamps.

Smoken Joe's post is right on.

BTW, nice bike, blackz28. My kind of bike.
smile.gif

goose

Newly Enlightened
HID lights are great and even if you put a 80\100w lights (which you cant realy use on the street) none helps you in the corners cause of the lean. Doing the rides in the full moon helps alot. As for me i adj the two extra light i have mounted. I set both lights up and out on the bike so if i stop. It ends up shining toward the top of the trees and to the side of the road. Im still doing some brain storming. The road i realy like to ride is the Angeles crest highway. Yes we ride it sort of fast *L^ .

Sasha

mboni

Newly Enlightened
3rd vote for motolights.

They come with standard 35w halogen bulbs, 8 degree spot but plenty of flood. The flood is enough to light up the side of the road, but isn't so bright that it blinds oncoming drivers.

It's possible to get LED bulbs that replace the 35w halogens, you are looking for a MR16 replacement bulb. They probably won't be as bright, but will put less load on the motorcycle's electrical system, and might be bright enough for your needs. I'd love to see a really high quality MR16 LED bulb, maybe a 3xCree XR-E setup, but I want to keep the very narrow beam spread and just use the flood to light the side of the road.

Motolights are somewhat expensive, but you can find cheaper things that do essentially the same job, including ones based on the MR16 halogen bulb (which means you can still get a LED replacement bulb).

I'd suggest using additional driving lights rather than just replacing your main headlight with something brighter. Motolights (or other fork-mounted lights) produce a very unique triangular light pattern that can't be mistaken for a car. That triangle also helps drivers judge your distance and rate of approach, which is hard to do with a single point source of light.

Last edited: