Lighting up the backyard (or why not a whole forrest)

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I'm confused. I read Swiss's question to mean he needed flood to light the whole yard. Most of the responses seem to point to throw to light up something across the yard.

For across the yard throw many lights would do (and the N30 might be the best "bang for the buck". Erh, mark?)

Flood would be harder I think. For economical portable flood lighting, I'd look at lanterns. I think propane or gas models provide the most brightness outdoors.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
why is it unsuited for smaller areas? will it not light up the whole yard but rather throw a small beam?

Lights designed for long range throw have narrow beams--much like the 2L3W you already have--and won't illuminate a wide area. Beam width and throw are a tradeoff. Wider beam width (flood) comes at a cost in peak intensity (throw) and vice versa.

If you want the option of either flood or throw, you could get a light with a removable diffuser. Drop the diffuser in place for flood; remove it for throw. The best choice in this area is probably a Malkoff M60 (not M60F) in a Surefire C2 with a FM34 beamshaper. Combined price will over your budget, however.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Most of the lights suggested here are severe overkill for a yard that size. The HID and hotwire options others have proposed are intended for 100m++ distances.

Very true. I definitely agree that we got a bit carried away considering the range he'd be using it at. I just remember the OP saying "light up my backyard or a large piece of forrest" so I was fixated on that.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the yard, why not just put up a couple flood lights on the house instead?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a couple of instances when our dog was barking at the backyard and it was kind of a hassle pointing my Streamlight at every 10 inch point in the yard... :-(
HID lights produce a spot beam. While much brighter you still have to point it every 10 inches across the yard.
Electrolumens lights just light up the whole yard.
See the outdoor pictures at the bottom of Ernsanada's review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194716
At $129.99 for a 3D it is within your budget.
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

For comparison most of Ernsanada's more recent reviews are clustered together over at Illumination forums. (They are all over the place on CPF)
http://www.illuminationforums.com/IlluminationForums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Word has it that SF has halted L4/KL4 production pending an upgrade. Probably not a good time to fork over money for an L4 given the radical advancements in LED technology since the L4 came on the market--whatever revision SF comes out with will likely be far better than the current model.

To be better it would have to maybe be brighter, but have the same flood type beam. It would not be a KL4 if it did not have that flood pattern. People do not seem to get this. You do not improve the KL4 by turning it into a "spot light". Surefire has already messed up the L5, which had a fairly wide brighter spot, less spill than KL4, but was in the same league as the KL4, beam pattern wise. The KL4 and previous model KL5 are my favorite work lights.

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi Bullzeyebill

The floody beam of the L4/L5 series heads was a result of the large emitter surface area (quad-luxI emitter luxV) (I realize you are probably quite aware of this), so I think it's far more accurate to say that the floody behavior of such lights was just a result of using what was at the time, the most powerful "emitter" available, and taking the result and running with it.

Their original intent may not have been such a wide flood beam, so with new emitters available that can still push more overall lumens from a die surface area 1/4 the size and generate some throw in a small reflector, they may finally be able to design the KL4 they had originally intended. You are laying down opinions about a product stated as fact...
It would not be a KL4 if it did not have that flood pattern. People do not seem to get this.

The only factual thing we can say about a KL4 is is that it is a floody beam that many people happen to like, we can not say that a KL4 with a throwy beam doesn't deserve "KL4 status." It's surefire's design and up to them what to call it and how to market it. Regardless of what the new version brings.

---------------------------------

In response to the original question, my thoughts are as follows:
The user is responding to a dog barking by lighting up the back-yard, wanting to know what out there is concerning the dog. I would personally take this type of illumination pretty seriously as you may be illuminating anything from bunny rabbit to a neighborhood kitty to a trespasser hyped up on amphetamines hellbent on back-yard domination (amongst other things, you know, like, steeling all the stuff in your house, or worse)...

With that in mind, whenever I'm investigating a "sound" that makes our 3 little excuses for dogs shout out in the middle of the night, I grab something big and something bright. Sometimes it's a 6D maglight modified to the tune of 100+watts, a total wall of brilliant incandescent bliss, other times I just grab a 35W HID, (the old amondotech version of the power on board with the better bulb).. (sort of like an N30 but a bit bulkier).

Everyone here is saying that an N30 is "too much" "overkill" etc, while it might be more than necessary, I don't think it would be inappropriate. At close range the HID lights have a very powerful spill beam around the center spot that would undoubtedly fill that back-yard quite impressively with useful light, while still having that central spot to move about with as desired, if you find someONE in the yard, having that nice bright spot might not be a bad thing.

Having said all that, I'm in agreement overall that a P7 based light, or multi-cree emitter light (3 emitters or more) would be a good light for this task as well.

Try to get around or above that "500" lumen territory for a light that is intended as being used for investigation of "noises" outdoors."

Research a mag modification called the "ROP" around here. It would also be a prime candidate, and with an orange peel reflector, and focusing ability of a mag, I'm sure you could really have an appreciable setup for back-yard investigations.

Eric

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
HID lights produce a spot beam. While much brighter you still have to point it every 10 inches across the yard.
Electrolumens lights just light up the whole yard.
See the outdoor pictures at the bottom of Ernsanada's review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194716
At $129.99 for a 3D it is within your budget.
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

For comparison most of Ernsanada's more recent reviews are clustered together over at Illumination forums. (They are all over the place on CPF)
http://www.illuminationforums.com/IlluminationForums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Thanks a lot for this good advice. I had a look at the url's you provided. so you recommend a Elektro Lumens P7 2D 3C? What's the difference to the 3D? It was really nice to see how it was able to light up the whole yard! exactly what i need.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
For the yard, why not just put up a couple flood lights on the house instead?

I was thinking about that as well, but prefer something portable. But in fact, something like a portable flood light is exactly what i'm looking for!

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
I would personally take this type of illumination pretty seriously as you may be illuminating anything from bunny rabbit to a neighborhood kitty to a trespasser hyped up on amphetamines hellbent on back-yard domination (amongst other things, you know, like, steeling all the stuff in your house, or worse)...

Thanks a lot, Eric. That's exactly what i was thinking... I want to know instantly what's out there to decide on the appropriate action. No time waving a tiny light back and forth until i maybe see something...

From all the recommendations I have received so far, I think either the N30 or the Elektro Lumens P7 2D 3C seem like a good choice.

Again, I appreciate all your guys' feedback. It is really helpful!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be better it would have to maybe be brighter, but have the same flood type beam. It would not be a KL4 if it did not have that flood pattern. People do not seem to get this. You do not improve the KL4 by turning it into a "spot light". Surefire has already messed up the L5, which had a fairly wide brighter spot, less spill than KL4, but was in the same league as the KL4, beam pattern wise. The KL4 and previous model KL5 are my favorite work lights.

Bill

I'm guessing that the Invictus is going to be the next go-to flood-light. Just a guess because of the emitter/reflector size ratio. It will likely be very good for indoor search/policing work. I wonder if strobe is at the full 400lm....:thinking:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that as long as you don't have a large amount of heat you can use various household products as a diffusion film. Not sure about HID lights but with any LED you can use a product called "glad press'n seal" cut to the size of the lens. It just sticks right on and peels off easily, not to be confused with regular clear cling wrap. That will instantly convert even a tight spotlight into a floodlight. Scotch satin/magic tape works great but unless you can find some really wide stuff it works best on smaller flashlights.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Decided to go with an AmondoTech N30 :) ordered it through BatteryJunction and was very pleased with the fast shipping - and I even got a free little key chain light with it :)

The N30 is really cool and extremely bright! I always thought my Streamlight Tasklight was bright already, but the N30 makes is look like a candle next to the headlights of my car... I also like the very convenient LED light in the handle bar. We were out on a camp ground near Yosemite the other day and were able to use the LED to read the map in the car and the main beam to light up tree tops 100 yards away. Why did I need to light them up, you might ask yourself... well, it's just fun! :)

Happy weekend to everyone!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 yards? You should be able to throw the N30 at least twice that far with relative ease :) .