• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lights You Want Me To Mod

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Ever think about modding the new 47s Quark MKIII? The driver and emitter is easily removed by design. No glue, epoxy, or locktite. There's a AA version and a 16650 version. You could maybe even offer driver/emitter mods without a light for those who already own a light, but want options...

I havnt seen one. I will look it up.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
9,500 lumens, 1.47 inch head diameter, 218grams, 7.69 oz: Omg, How? What?

Nitecore TM9K 9 x XP-L single 21700.

Thoughts about modding?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
9,500 lumens, 1.47 inch head diameter, 218grams, 7.69 oz: Omg, How? What?

Nitecore TM9K 9 x XP-L single 21700.

Thoughts about modding?

Does look interesting! Ordered 2 to try!

Y6sZIvy.jpg

NNE1rVC.jpg

W916gKk.jpg

O66sGhi.jpg

NcVoIuo.png

Uyz8sVs.png

4OKO198.png

5iIg5Am.jpg

ZFyllfD.jpg

Xes8tZQ.jpg

ov9ei1T.jpg

5t3gig2.jpg

yz3BGtE.jpg

RC4E49k.jpg

xLJcuKp.jpg

9Dr82j3.jpg

FRDCBMs.jpg

Pnw9WUe.jpg

puWdwbZ.jpg

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take one, when you are ready to let one go. :)

Lumens to size, and lumens to weight ratio make this little screamer too irresistible to pass up.

----------------
1 Kings 19:4

Patriot

Flashaholic
For a factory, single cell light from one of the larger companies, it's surprising to see this kind of performance specification. I'm definitely interested to hear more.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I am always a fan of reflector lights. Especially when the LEDs are in their own reflector wells!!!!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always a fan of reflector lights. Especially when the LEDs are in their own reflector wells!!!!
So many small reflector wells, non-overlapping: Actually looks cute!

This light has both things that I like: Firstly: The ability to near instantly disgorge its entire fuel supply in a brief, blinding flash of max lumen spec goodliness, and secondarily, it also is factory equipped with the ability to select a normal mode setting, to provide for normal power for its size and normal runtime. Yay!

Since this light is capable of USB-C QC Fast Charging, but does not include any charger in the box, maybe someone who knows the difference between an amp and a volt can chime in with a brief primer on Fast Charging and options available when selecting a charging adapter, and maybe some brief pointers on if slow charging would be better for battery life, etc.

----------------
"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine flashlight.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This in from Nitcore, 24 hours ago: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...n-Flashlight&p=5353949&viewfull=1#post5353949

Yes, of course when the specifications first came to us in the marketing department, naturally our first question was, why did they not make the battery replaceable/removable for alternative charging methods? The reasoning behind it was that after lots of test, the only way to achieve the >9000 lumen mark with a single 21700 is to basically solder the battery ends to the leads of the flashlight. (No flimsy spring connectors in the TM9K) This way you have a thick enough/strong enough connection that can basically handle the high current draw required to power the >9000 turbo.

Agpp

Enlightened
This has been debunked on the other forum already when TM10K came out. I would link to that place if it was allowed. But it's not so I won't.

Good springs would work well. But soldering is cheaper, there's no risk of user putting sub-par cell inside. And when the cell dies user needs a new light. All great for the company, just now the marketing department must BS users a bit.

Vinh, does MT07MiniVn come with spring bypasses or are the stock springs enough for 10k lm with XP-L2?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
This has been debunked on the other forum already when TM10K came out. I would link to that place if it was allowed. But it's not so I won't.

Good springs would work well. But soldering is cheaper, there's no risk of user putting sub-par cell inside. And when the cell dies user needs a new light. All great for the company, just now the marketing department must BS users a bit.

That's disappointing and it's one of the reasons I never got a TM10K, even though I thought it was a nifty little brick of a light. The same goes for the Concept C2... another light that I really liked but didn't purchase because of the battery situation.
[h=1][/h]

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still, it looks like an interesting light and I'm eager for Vinh to get his hands on one.
Me too.

I thought the "contact resistance" excuse was a good excuse for many cells and many contact points, such as 8 x cell lights. But here we have Nitecore, who markets to law enforcement, saying that very high amp draw is another reason.

Random thought a: X65, eight soldered cells, but where the battery pack spring contacts the head, there is that tiny point that richbuff wonders silently for years about without asking about, that all those amps have to flow through.

Random thought b: Captive batteries: Maybe if we ask nicely, that special someone can jailbreak them for us. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Random thought a: X65, eight soldered cells, but where the battery pack spring contacts the head, there is that tiny point that richbuff wonders silently for years about without asking about, that all those amps have to flow through.

That is pretty funny when you think about it like that. It certainly (seems) like there would be a bottleneck but who really knows? I know that Vinh reports output differences with spring bypass mods but he does other things too, so it's kind of hard to attribute performance gains to one area unless someone specifically tests for it.

Agpp

Enlightened
Me too.

I thought the "contact resistance" excuse was a good excuse for many cells and many contact points, such as 8 x cell lights. But here we have Nitecore, who markets to law enforcement, saying that very high amp draw is another reason.

Random thought b: Captive batteries: Maybe if we ask nicely, that special someone can jailbreak them for us. :)

Number of cells (and contact points) doesn't really matter. Given the same current/cell, regardless of how many you have it's the same voltage drop per cell. And actually multi-cell lights typically have lower current/cell and therefore lower voltage drop.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just realized that this light reminds me of a mini X80GT, which is a light that I love. Basically a micro-reflectored, Multi-LED, super "mule."

Congrats Rich! I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

SKV89

Enlightened
Olight Perun has the most efficient driver Ive ever seen. This light can sustain 500 steady lumens for 4hrs! 500 Olight lumens is about 600 or more Zebralight lumens. Olights always measure a good amount higher than spec. Maybe put a nice tinted 90CRI NW XHP50.2 in there or even better put a 4xE21A 9080 in there.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This just in: Nitecore E4K

4,400 lumens from Nitecore, single cell user accessible 21700, 4.4 ounces with battery, 4 x XPL, 211 meters; USB-C rechargeable.

I am interested in what Vinh thanks about this!

Latest posts