List of lights with infinite variable brightness control rings

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
QTC lights use a (rubberized?) material that transmits more electricity the more it's compressed. So they have the variability of control ring lights, but by tightening a bezel of a twisty instead.

• Mobile post

aau007

Enlightened
I think OP is really only interested in lights (at least in this round) with infinitely variable "ring" type of control. QTC from Peak uses a push button at the tail. Although variable, not "ring" controlled.

"Ring", the way I understand it, should be a separate component on the light. If you turn the head or the tail to adjust the brightness, those are called twisties, not ring. There is no ring, you are turning the head bazel or the tail cap.

So far, magnetic ring is the only ring controlled light I have seen. I have not seen any light with mechanical ring control whereas the ring has any physical attachment to the inside of the light to adjust brightness.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
QTC lights use a (rubberized?) material that transmits more electricity the more it's compressed. So they have the variability of control ring lights, but by tightening a bezel of a twisty instead.
Got it, thanks. If someone can get me the information, or at least give me a site that has it, I can work on getting them added.

I think OP is really only interested in lights (at least in this round) with infinitely variable "ring" type of control. QTC from Peak uses a push button at the tail. Although variable, not "ring" controlled.

"Ring", the way I understand it, should be a separate component on the light. If you turn the head or the tail to adjust the brightness, those are called twisties, not ring. There is no ring, you are turning the head bazel or the tail cap.

So far, magnetic ring is the only ring controlled light I have seen. I have not seen any light with mechanical ring control whereas the ring has any physical attachment to the inside of the light to adjust brightness.
Thanks for looking out for me! :D You are right, I was only looking for lights with the ring. However, to be honest, I didn't even know they had lights that were infinitly variable brightness controlled by twisting the head haha. To me, they seem to serve the same purpose as they use a twisting motion to instantly get to the level of light you are looking for, and it is variable verses preset modes. Being that a CPFer might find this in the same catagory when looking for a light, I've decided to add these in there own catagory. Most of the ring lights so far do use a push button as well for an on/off switch, which certainly have their pros and cons; just depends on what the user wants. The ones I definitly do not want, are the lights that use a button to ramp up or down to get to the desired brightness. While these lights offer infinite variable brightness, often it is just used to then set it a preset mode, but even when not, I find the ring or twisty action for these a much better salution. I suspect you know all this haha, so that is really more for those reading the thread to understand. Again though, thanks for looking out for me.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say this thread has definitly passed the "getting started" phase haha. Do you all think I should re-write the first post to show exactly what it is that should be in this thread and what should not?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Peaks with push button tails also 'dial' in levels with the head. This is not, however, a dedicated ring.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Some Peaks where also available with a varible pot on the head. Peak FR 400 show.

side1q.jpg

Norm

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then, VaraPowers are eligible or not?

Cheers
These seem to more of a custom made/made to order light. It also takes a second hand to change the output, whereas the ring/twisty is done with the same hand holding the light already. I would say no, but if a lot of members want them on I can add them.

stp

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for Sunwayman to make a V40A:poke: For my uses it will be my best light.

I hear you and would love 4AA side by side with variable control. But between waiting for updated M40A from Sunwayman and Q50 from ZebraLight I already lost my hope.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Re: List of lights with infinite brightness control rings

The second V10R Ti in the table (the one with the XML) should be a V10R Ti+

Please fix the inconsistency in supported batteries for all versions of V10R and V11R -- they all take CR123/16340, and AA/14500 with an extension.

QTC should probably be added to this thread in a separate table. The only ones I've seen in production are Peak and Steve Ku's DD series. Home-made mods of Tank007 probably shouldn't count :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great work there, keep it up! :popcorn:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Medium- Double CR123/16340/AA or Single 18650
Model
Manufacturer
Release
Date

LED
AA
CR123
RCR123
IMR16340
IMR18350
Lowest
Output

Highest
Output

Switch
Type

NWK 600N1
Niwalker
Soon
XM-L U2
700+
Mechanical

Working on this review and should have it up over the weekend.

=======

This one's eligibility is dubious given it's not truly infinitely variable but rather 15 distinct but subtle steps via a control dial in the tail so I'll leave it up to you whether it belong in the list or not:

Medium- Double CR123/16340/AA or Single 18650
Model
Manufacturer
Release
Date

LED
AA
CR123
RCR123
IMR16340
IMR18350
Lowest
Output

Highest
Output

Switch
Type

Elite M1A
Lighten7
1/20/2012
XM-L T6
5%
800+
?

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Turbo. Sorry it took me so long to get the info up.

magpullin

Newly Enlightened

Does Sunwayman still make the V10R in Titanium???
Did not see them listed anymore on the Battery Junction site....

Triac

Newly Enlightened

The Sunwayman V10R and V20A were also released with in an Anniversary Edition which utilized XM-L T5 neutral emitters.
Also, the ShiningBeam I-mini might qualify in the last category. It has digital infinite brightness adjustment from 7 to 245 lumens which ramps by loosening the head. To select a level, you tighten the head. Both XP-G R4 NW and XP-G R5 CW versions are available.

borealis

Newly Enlightened

Does Sunwayman still make the V10R in Titanium???
Did not see them listed anymore on the Battery Junction site....
V10R Ti was replaced by Ti+. There's plenty on ebay.

eightballrj

Newly Enlightened

Eye10 TIC goes much lower than 1 lumen.