List of lights with infinite variable brightness control rings

NickBose

Enlightened
Re: List of lights with infinite brightness control rings

Got the V11R neutral white. Beam is beautiful. But I can't live with its 2 control system (one on tail and one at the front). Some think it's a no brainer since you can turn the light on at a desired level, not me. So off it goes on to CPF market place - brand new.
One interesting note: when the ring is at Min position and you click the tail switch the light goes on with a slight increasing intensity from off (like a dimmer switch). This doesn't happen when the ring is at higher position.

Average Joe

Newly Enlightened

There are a lot of really great lights out there,spec-wise, but in many cases, the UI is an absolute pain. Multiple inputs (up to 10) to change from this level to that? After playing with a "infinite brightness control" flashlight, I was hooked. No more mucking about trying to find the correct level without first blinding myself :). Nothing could be simpler, IMO and owning many lights, I don't have to try and remember the sequence of changing modes as well.

cyclesport

Enlightened

Got the V11R neutral white. Beam is beautiful. But I can't live with its 2 control system (one on tail and one at the front). Some think it's a no brainer since you can turn the light on at a desired level, not me. So off it goes on to CPF market place - brand new.
One interesting note: when the ring is at Min position and you click the tail switch the light goes on with a slight increasing intensity from off (like a dimmer switch). This doesn't happen when the ring is at higher position.

FWIW the V11R has a soft start feature in anything lower than max, and I agree with the KISS principle that one simple rotary control with a detent(s) is much easier to use, eg, RRT-01/EYE 10. Also to the OP: you might want to update your chart...the RRT-01 is now being sold with an XM-L2 update @ 600 lumens.

stang725

Newly Enlightened
Hi, new to forums so please pardon my ignorance if this common knowledge, how do the "magnetic" variant of the infinite brightness rings work. Is is simply a fancy pot. that is manipulated through the body of the light via magnetic force... Thanks for someone taking time to explain, I wasn't even aware they made lights with this feature until today. (prob because most of my lights are <$100 and by the looks of the detailed technical analysis on everything flashlight, I'm a total noob when it comes to this hobby) :).

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did Norm, and it said "NiteCore intends to offer a 1x18650 extension tube for the SR3, and has sent me a prototype model to evaluate. :thumbsup: Note that the final machining and design of the shipping version will be different from what you see below, but overall length should be the same." But I couldn't find anywhere that it actually was ever sold. Non the less, I will put it under the medium category.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

I only read from CPF so not really sure about those issues but when a high-end $200 titanium light "flickers a bit", it doesn't sound right does it? Having said that I still like the RRT-01 very much and may end up getting one!
That depends on whether it's possible to make an infinitely-variable adjustment mechanism that is as responsive without flickering at all. Also, given the choice between a high-end $200 titanium light that flickers a bit (by which I mean the brightness changes up and down very slightly) vs. a high-end $200 titanium light that doesn't exist at all or has other problems which irritate me far more, I'll go with the one that flickers a bit. I have so many more important things to worry about than whether the beam from my flashlight is perfect in every possible way.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I did Norm, and it said "NiteCore intends to offer a 1x18650 extension tube for the SR3, and has sent me a prototype model to evaluate. :thumbsup: Note that the final machining and design of the shipping version will be different from what you see below, but overall length should be the same." But I couldn't find anywhere that it actually was ever sold. Non the less, I will put it under the medium category.

I think you'll find that the production versions of the 18650 tube were very hard to come by, I tried but could never find one :(.

Norm

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you'll find that the production versions of the 18650 tube were very hard to come by, I tried but could never find one :(.

Norm

Maybe we should put it in the small category then?

lightcycle1

Enlightened
I have an infinitely variable tailswitch I bought with a Surefire C2. Pushbutton/hold to bring light up to max brightness, keep holding it down and it will settle at about a 75% output. Press again to bring it back up to
max. Hold down from max and it dims from 100% to 0%. Double click for off. Let off the switch at any time to keep it at desired level.

Pretty neat and its a nice looking tailswitch with scalloped edges, tail standable, and a GITD switch boot.

Uniq variable switch.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Where did you find this? What's it called? Are they still available? Price?

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Its called a Uniq continuously variable switch. I bought it with my C2 from a recent CPFM sale for an extra few bucks. Well worth it and really nicely made.

50 bucks, in stock.

lighthound.com

heres a pic of it on my C2.

sorry bout the lousy pic.

yhaze2ys.jpg

pudasu4u.jpg

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Thank you!

Edit: I just read a few reviews and apparently it doesn't work well with a single Li-ion.. It's not for me but still interesting.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire Saint, Minimus, Minimus Vision, Minimus AA, Maximus all use a UI similar to the T1 Titan,and T1A titan

Also - the new Cryos Function (on indiegogo at the moment) has the ability to vary the output with a dial (not sure if it's infinitely variable though) its also an odd shape, but looks very functional as a headlamp/helmet light/bike light/camera light/ work lamp

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Thank you!

Edit: I just read a few reviews and apparently it doesn't work well with a single Li-ion.. It's not for me but still interesting.

It does with the original P60 incan. However I just put in an M61 with a single 17670 and its not working well at all. Fine with single Lion and the incan module tho.
strange. PO said it worked good with his M61 but he might have been running 2x cr123 so yeah there seems to be some substance to that review. I bought 17670 cells to run because I dont want anything to do with multicell 123 setup. too many scary stories.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
That information was from several reviews and first hand accounts. So this can be used with a P60 incan? Now that sounds interesting..

lightcycle1

Enlightened
yes. it works dandy with a 17670 1 cell and the original P60 SF incan module that came with my C2. I had to put on my Z41 tailcap to try out my new Malkoff dropin in the C2. If anybody wants to trade a minty Z41 with a Mcclicky installed in HA green for this switch Id be game

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire Saint, Minimus, Minimus Vision, Minimus AA, Maximus all use a UI similar to the T1 Titan,and T1A titan

Also - the new Cryos Function (on indiegogo at the moment) has the ability to vary the output with a dial (not sure if it's infinitely variable though) its also an odd shape, but looks very functional as a headlamp/helmet light/bike light/camera light/ work lamp
Okay. Let me have the links to these lights so I can check them out and add them.

Latest posts