LiteFlux LF5XT Manual - Simplified!

Snow

Enlightened
Awesome post. I just received my LF5XT today and just logged on to see some good instructions for programming it. Thanks!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good Work !

Thank you for your efforts.

:twothumbs

This is a wonderful flashlight. :thumbsup:

_

h.g.trunnion

Newly Enlightened
@clintb:
If anyone has a suggestion on a better description for "Number of Modes", please let me know. That description just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

What about this one:
Number of modes:

Set to 1 mode = 1 x flash, 1 second blank

Set to 2 modes = 2 x flash, 1 second blank

Set to 3 modes = 3 x flash, 1 second blank

Set to 4 modes = 4 x flash, 1 second blank

Set to 5 modes = 5 x flash, 1 second blank

And you might add this one:

Base function mode navigation:

1xC = next mode

2xC = previous mode

3xC = exit without saving

3xC + PH = enter mode and get report of the actual setting

BTW: I wrote a complete manual in German a couple of days ago. If anyone is interested, he/she may contact me by PM.

Regards,

Norbert

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
clintb,

My original post is not very clear. I'll have to edit it. :)

What I was referring to is, for example, you want to change your LF5 XT from a 5 mode light to a 3 mode light.

You turn it on (to any mode), do a 4xC+PH. You are now in "Function Mode". The light is flashing once every 2 seconds, indicating you are at the point where you can enter the setting program for "Momentary". Since we're wanting to change the number of modes, we want to skip this and go to the "Number of Modes" setting program.

To do this, we simply click twice (waiting more than 0.4 sec between the 2 clicks), and now the LF5 XT will be flashing 3 times every 2 seconds. This is the indication we are ready to enter the "Number of Modes" setting.

To do this, do 3xC+PH. Now the light will be flashing a number of times, the number indicating how many modes the light is presently set up for. Let's say it's flashing 5 times every 2 seconds. This indicates the light is presently set to 5 modes available. We want to change that to three modes so, we do 2xC (Decrease the number of modes) twice, waiting more than 0.4 second between the two 2xC's. Once this is done, the light will be flashing 3 times every 2 seconds. This indicates that the light is now set to have 3 modes available.

To "Save" this instruction, do 3xC+PH. The instruction is now saved, and the light is now flashing 3 times every 2 seconds.

This is where it got a bit confusing, to me anyway. The three flashes every 2 seconds is now indicating that the light is back to where you can access the "Number of Modes" setting (You are back in "Function Mode"), NOT that there are 3 modes available. :)

To Exit "Function Mode", we need to do 3xC. If you try doing 3xC+PH to exit, you will just re-enter the "Number of Modes" setting program, and be back where you were a minute ago! Unless I'm missing something, this is the only way to exit "Function Mode" at this point.

Hope this helps. Don't get too carried away with the manual, unless you're prepared to do some real work. I know a bit about it, because I wrote the PDF manual for the Extreme III!

Dave
Thanks very much. This was driving me crazy, I couldn't figure out how to set the light to 3 modes. It was pissing me off. I read your instructions and finally got this done!!!

This light can drive you mad otherwise!! :thinking:

clintb

Enlightened
Hello all! Just thought I'd let you know I've been checking the thread and the recommendations. This past weekend was particularly kid busy so no messing with light related stuff. No fear though, I'll be working on the manual in my spare time. I really want to get to two manuals; a wallet sized quick reference and the full featured programming manual. I think that's doable.

Till next time!

Hyperborea

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot, this is great!
I've put it as a note on my ipod to have it available always, it will be needed :D

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work :thumbsup: The manual was bugging me too, but I didn't go all the way through with fixing it.

You might want to add a basic operation segment at the beginning, so that it doesn't scare off people scared of complicated lights. The basic operation part would simply say: click on, click off, and at any time hold for momentary max. If you want you could also include the random strobe and mode change, but that's it. I think that this introductory paragraph will make many people realize what liteflux's manual does not - the light is really simple to operate, just hard to program.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This definitely needs a FLOWCHART like the earlier Liteflux manuals. As much as I like complex UI lights this is one I still haven't gotten a handle on yet but I've only had a few minutes to work with it. I know I'll get it down but the manual that came with it isn't real clear. If I wasn't in the middle of a big project I'd probably write a detailed manual for it that would be clear to anyone. Thanks to clintb and others that have contributed here as that has helped a lot but it still could use more detail I think and a flowchart would help a lot.

I really DO like a light that is a bit of a challenge to program - thanks Liteflux and Khoo for getting this light to us!

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This definitely needs a FLOWCHART like the earlier Liteflux manuals.

Working on one...
I'll post it as soon as i have something.

(BTW, i don't find LF5XT's UI hard to remember at all... i've learned it by heart in a few minutes of use)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob ;)

Anyways, here's an initial, basic ops flowchart. I'll make one for advanced ops (strobe and beacon frequency, linear ramping, function mode) later, as well as a separate basic ops version for momentary mode.

click for full size

Hope this helps someone... :)
Edit: Argh! I've missed an arrowhead from OFF to ON, footnote explaining "C" and "PH" and some other stuff. Oh well, that's what version 1.1 is for :)

Last edited:

clintb

Enlightened
+1 to orcinus! Really good execution of what I was looking to do. Oh, any chance you could save to .png?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Thanks orcinus - very nice work. If anyone is interested I took clintb's test and put it into 3 columns - not hard to do if you have Word or most word processors. It would be easier to make a printout reference card this way.

Looking forward to v1.1 orcinus :)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty intuitively...

First digit, then pause, then second digit. Digits being determined by the number of flashes (1 flash = 1, 2 flashes = 2, etc.; two quick sequential blinks for zero).

So, for example, if the output's set to 25%, 5C would result in the following sequence:

FLASH FLASH pause FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH

100% is an exception and results in a sequence as follows:

BLINK-BLINK pause BLINK-BLINK

... in other words, it reads as 00% instead of 100%.

Last edited:

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I think you should check your manual and your LF5XT again. For 100% the brightness report as noted in the manual and on my light correctly displays FLASH, pause, BLINK-BLINK, pause, BLINK-BLINK, which is 1,0,0 or 100%. See pg 17 of the included LF5XT manual in your box.

Zenster

Enlightened
Pretty intuitively...

orcinus, I've done a small amount of "professional" technical writing myself, so I appreciate how well you've taken the UI instructions that came with the light (terribly written) and tweaked them into a simple and easy to understand FlowChart.

I know it isn't complete yet, but it's already good enough to get anyone up and running in just a couple of minutes.
You really need to finish it so that people who buy this fantastic light can throw away the included "instructions" and replace them with your FlowChart.

Of course, I'm a little biased because I've always liked FlowCharts.
When they're well done, they're just so... logical. :twothumbs

Last edited: