LiteFlux LF5XT Manual - Simplified!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my LF5xt from EliteLED.COM. I can't believe that it took only 2 days for me to get the order. Great job, guys at EliteLED! Mine has the tap/off problem fixed.

As critical as I am about beam, tint, artifacts, all I can say about this light is WOW! Its beam rivals the Novac and its tint is much more pleasing even at low levels, since my Novatac takes on a slight blue tint at low levels. The LiteFlux is neutral to just slightly warm. It could be that I am just too old to appreciate the high frequency noise that others hear with 14500 cell, I can't hear it or can my grand daughter, even with flashlight up to the er. Either this problem has been fixed with the new LF5XTs, or I lucked out.

Perhaps because I did own a Novatac p120, figuring out the LF5xt was not as difficult as I imagined it would be. I attempted to just pick up the light and use it, and although I figured out how to switch levels with the double Click, (similar to the Novatac), that's about all I could figure out without reading the directions. I first attempted to use Orcinus's charts, and as beautiful as they are, I could not figure out the operation without referring to the manufacturers user manual. Actually, I didn't go back to the charts until I DID figure the light out from the manual. It then was useful as a review and reference.

Only a few things were a bit confusing to me from the manual. Entering into each of the selected functions modes from the main list of adjustable functions with a 3C+P wasn't particularly intuitive since that is the same command to exit and save a setting. Then exiting the particular function and finding yourself still in the Function Setting List was confusing only because you needed to issue a 3C command to exit the list, which for everything else means exit without saving. You wondered at first whether what you had previously done in the function subset was actually saved. Fortunately it was.

Another confusing command, even after reading the manual and the charts, was the 4C command when you are in the mode programing menu. It was stated that this command only operates to toggle the different strobe and beacon speed/brightness settings. It does not state in the manual or in the charts that you need to use the same 1C or 2C commands to toggle through the different options. The manual makes it sound like hitting 4C repeatedly will toggle these for you.
As I review Orcinus's Advanced operation charts I see this 4C command for the strobe/beacon alternatives listed as "change parameter" with small print below, but no mention how to change the parameter for that option. The chart could be clearer there, I think. In his Basic Operation charts, he doesn't show this command at all under program mode. While this may be an intentional omission for the sake of simplicity, I think it should have been included even here, since the only other simplification with the basic operation chart is the omission of the function mode subsets and their operations, leaving those for the advance settings chart. In other words, IMO, the BASIC operations should include how you program each of the 5 modes, as well as changing modes, voltage check and off/off operations. The Advanced operations should tell you how to change the changable functions (momentary toggle, battery protection toggle, number of modes available, reset, and memory toggle). They are advanced because you are not as likely to access these functions repeatedly like you might with the Basic Operations. A third chart might show, in simplified form, how all these elements connect, with very little detail other than the commands that get you back from the Programming Modes Menu and the Function Setting Menu to the basic on/off, switching modes, checking voltage main operation.

Finally, I discovered a few tricks making it easier to program my light.
The first thing was I turned memory off before programming the modes. By doing so, you can easily identify the number of the mode you are working in, since the light always turns on mode in 1, rather than the last mode used. Once I adjusted mode 1 the way I wanted it, I could then turn the light off and on and be sure that level WAS mode 1, before double clicking to get to mode 2. Then in mode 2, I went into mode program mode (3C+PH) and adjusted mode 2, etc. Once I had all my modes the way I wanted them, I turned memory back on (I wanted to do so, but you don't have to).

Another thing I appreciated after a while is that ramping is a way of fine tuning your light output setting. When in program mode use 1C and 2C to get you to a rough level of the output you want. Hit 5C at the point to see what the output number actually is. Say it is showing 47 Percent output. You then go to 1C+PH and hold it down for a brief second; then recheck with 5C and you now have 51 percent output. You can hit 2C+PH and ramp down just a split second; recheck and you have 50 percent output. Only after you have the level exactly where you want it do you hit 3C+PH to save it. While you don't have to do this fine adjusting (you can just eyeball it), if you are anal like me, it does allow you unblievable reproducible level control becaue ramping is EXTREMELY slow. (I have my light set: Mode 1: 2 percent; Mode 2: 15 percent; Mode 3: 33 percent; Mode 4: 50 percent; Mode 5: 66 percent). Of course with a PH and I have 100 percent. )

I am sorry this is such a long post. It is just that I am so excited about my new light.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Always nice to hear from a satisfied LF5XT user! I agree that the manual that comes with the light really lets it down, but that's why it's great to have Orcinus on board!

I love the LF5XT, I'm currently waiting on my 3rd one to arrive.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I review Orcinus's Advanced operation charts I see this 4C command for the strobe/beacon alternatives listed as "change parameter" with small print below, but no mention how to change the parameter for that option. The chart could be clearer there, I think.

If you take a closer look at the Advanced Ops chart, above the "change parameter" box there are two boxes labeled "UP parameter" and "DOWN parameter". Signifying that corresponding commands (C, 2C) increase and decrease whichever parameter you've selected via 4C.

I know it's not perfect, but i thought it would be clear enough. :shrug:

In his Basic Operation charts, he doesn't show this command at all under program mode. While this may be an intentional omission for the sake of simplicity, I think it should have been included even here, since the only other simplification with the basic operation chart is the omission of the function mode subsets and their operations, leaving those for the advance settings chart.

You're right, the 4C command and the fact C and 2C change both, brightness AND frequency, were omitted from the basic ops to keep things as simple as possible. The idea was that the basic chart would be enough to give you a start with the most often used functions (and i didn't think programming strobe or beacon frequency would be the first thing someone would do :)).

BTW, the way you've used the charts is exactly the way they were meant to be used - as reference in addition to the original manual, not supplanting it. Glad to hear you've found your way using both :)

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take a closer look at the Advanced Ops chart, above the "change parameter" box there are two boxes labeled "UP parameter" and "DOWN parameter". Signifying that corresponding commands (C, 2C) increase and decrease whichever parameter you've selected via 4C.

I know it's not perfect, but i thought it would be clear enough. :shrug:

:)

What was confusing to me, at least in the manual, was that it stated that 4-C command was for toggling strobe/beacon settings. It never made the statement as it did with brightness that the C, and 2C commands worked with the strobe/beacon settings. I was hoping your chart would be more clear about it, since I got lost there. It wouldn't take much to clear that up, but if I am the only one lost, forget about it. (I'll just fix my copy.) Another suggestion and not to nitpick, because I love your charts, wouldn't that box, change parameter, be more clearly labeled as Stobe/Beacon adjustments.?. IMO, Change parameteris is too easily confused with Output Style, until you look at the chart very closely, and see the tiny print beneath the boxes.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't want it to look as 4C had anything to do with strobe or beacon, as it really has to do with shifting from changing brightness to changing frequency and back. And since frequency only has a meaning for those two output styles, i've marked it with "applies to strobe and beacon only".

The idea wasn't that the small print beneath some of the boxes is an "optional" footnote, but an integral part of a box's description. Maybe i should've made the text a wee bit bigger...

The problem here is this: if i label the "change parameter" box as, for example, "strobe/beacon frequency", i have to create two sets of UP and DOWN boxes, one for brightness, one for frequency, and somehow differentiate which is active when, further obfuscating and cluttering things.

If i label it "strobe/beacon settings", i end up with the same problem, as - suddenly - UP and DOWN don't relate to all the output types, but have to either be split into UP and DOWN for strobe and beacon and UP and DOWN for the constant and SOS, or get more "footnotes". Again cluttering and obfuscating things up.

I'll try to think of an alternative way to label things...

PS: I think everything would be much clearer with a rewritten manual in addition to the charts. The thing is, in the charts i had to stomp on some of the conventions of the original manual, because they just didn't make sense and made things inconsistent. Take the term "mode" for example. First it's a mode in traditional sense (output mode), then it's a mode of operation (function setting mode, setting mode), then it's back to being a traditional mode. Calling traditional modes "settings" makes much more sense in this context, IMHO. Then there are nonsensical collisions of terms, such as the "setting mode", etc.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much. These flowcharts are very helpful. After a couple of hours trying to get it to work with the original manual, I was just about ready to sell it, I had even already put it back in the box.

Great flowcharts & simplified manual!

:twothumbs

Last edited:

AlexLED

Enlightened
clintb,
To Exit "Function Mode", we need to do 3xC. If you try doing 3xC+PH to exit, you will just re-enter the "Number of Modes" setting program, and be back where you were a minute ago! Unless I'm missing something, this is the only way to exit "Function Mode" at this point.

Dave

Yes, correct, and this note seems to be missing in the official manual and this (was the only aspect that) confused me a bit.

AlexLED

Enlightened
This will probably look a bit scary at a first glance, but i couldn't figure out a way to do it any simpler / neater than this. I may change the layout in the future.

Advanced ops guide 1.0...

click for full size

Great job !!! Thanks !!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
After all the hard work you guys put in I can't figure out how to turn off 'Memory' function so that it will always start on low.

If anyone can get me set straight on this it'd be a big help! :eek:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
From off:
1. 1C to switch on
2. 4C+PH and you're in function mode
3. 2C, check if the light is flashing 5 times (i.e. ***** pause ***** pause)
4. 3C+PH to enter the memory function option
5. the light will blink fast (2 times / sec)
6. C, check if it's blinking slower now (once / sec)
7. 3C+PH to save
8. 3C to exit function mode

That should be it.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
These diagrams also work well with the LF3XT's FUI, full user interface.

The only difference with the LF3XT programming is with regard to toggling the momentary on. Just issue a 4CC command and it toggles momentary on and off. You do not need to go into Function mode and turn on function 1 as you do with the LF5XT. (Function 1 with the LF3XT is undefined or left for possible future usage.)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
this (was the only aspect that) confused me a bit.

Ya, well, I don't know if I'd summarize it quite that well. :)

I haven't been following this thread for quite a while. orcinus has indeed, done a fine job with the flow charts. :thumbsup:

The way I look at the programming of these types of UI's, is that people have to step back from all the minute details and look at the big picture. They really aren't that complicated. Sophisticated, yes. You just need to look at how, in general, the UI is navigated. It's all done the same way, you just have to get a feel of how the "tree" works. OK, flow chart. :) Once you understand that and the basic commands (which again, are really all the same) it's really pretty simple.

Dave

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i think the key problem with people who can't grasp or refuse to grasp LF5XT (or any similar UI) is that they keep perceiving things as series of clicks. A sequence A they have to execute to do operation B.

Instead of perceiving it as a menu system, which is what it really is. Once you start looking at it as a menu tree, with common commands for exiting, entering, moving to previous or next option etc., everything just... well, clicks (pardon the pun).

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
First, thank you so much for you hard work. I would be pulling my hair out without your charts.

I have just a couple questions and I think things may fall into place for me.

The LF5XT comes with five modes. Can you tell me what those modes are as the light comes from the factory. On my light, all five modes are active but here's all I can find:

1. Turn the light on and PH for max brightness.
2. 2XC to access the flashing lights.

Are these two modes? If so, what are the other three modes and how do I get to them or change them? I guess I just don't know what is meant by "Mode."

When in Program Mode and ramping brightness up or down, and saving the settings, where are these changes reflected?

Thanks so much.

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
Hi Willieboy

I struggled with the LF5XT a bit when I first got mine, I think the problem I had was that the manual uses the words 'function' and 'mode' to describe several different things. When you understand how the light works it's actually a pretty easy thing to set up and play about with.

To help me I had a go at condensing and re-wording the manual based on my experience with the light:-

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...jItMjFlYy00ZjJjLTk1MmUtNjNhYTQzY2EwNDcw&hl=en

This is by no means intended as a replacement for the excellent reference works and charts already provided by clintb and orcinus, more a different way of providing the information. I hope someone here will find it useful so please feel free to copy / amend / print as you see fit. It's a work in progress (standard disclaimer applied ;)) so comments, errors and suggestions from anyone here would be appreciated.

I understand that this doesn't address your points directly but maybe you'll find in it what you need to answer your questions.

Last edited:

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks AbleArcher. That was helpful.

What kind of archery do you enjoy. I was a bow guy for many years...though no more.