LiteFlux LF5XT Manual - Simplified!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Is there a more valuable poster on CPF that has been here a shorter period of time!?!

Orcinus joined in June and has already made himself one of my favorite posters, not only for the value he presents, as evidenced by these charts, but also in his choice of words and politeness to other posters.

Thanks million Orcinus!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we should take him out back and beat him severely...then steal his homework. :nana:

Yes, good work, orcinus -- you crazy Croatian, you. ;)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we should take him out back and beat him severely...then steal his homework. :nana:

He has kind of ruined the curve for the rest of us hasn't he. Let me run up and buy a multicell maglite and I will join you.
:whoopin::twak::xyxgun:

These are very useful charts Orcinus. Thanks. Now head out back.:whistle:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has kind of ruined the curve for the rest of us hasn't he. Let me run up and buy a multicell maglite and I will join you.
:whoopin::twak::xyxgun:

These are very useful charts Orcinus. Thanks. Now head out back.:whistle:
LOL +1

He's making the rest of us look bad... yea I'm in for a beating, or three... :naughty:

Great job Orcinus!! :twothumbs

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent an email to Khoo to notifiy him of Orcinus's work. Very cleanly done, much appreciated.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Is there a more valuable poster on CPF that has been here a shorter period of time!?!

Orcinus joined in June and has already made himself one of my favorite posters, not only for the value he presents, as evidenced by these charts, but also in his choice of words and politeness to other posters.

Thanks million Orcinus!

And he writes absolutely perfect English too - a lot better than some of the native speakers on CPF..

Thanks orcinus :)

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
A well-felt thanks from me as well, orcinus.:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs :clap::clap::clap:These flow charts make programming the LF5XT sooooo much easier than the the original manual. Have you heard anything from Khoo or LiteFlux yet?

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
These flow charts are absolutely beautiful!!! What a job Orcinus did!:thumbsup:

However, never owning a LF5xt and not having one in my hand, these charts appear rather intimidating. Nevertheless, I would imagine they are not at all intimidating to most of you who have already struggled with the manufacturers manual and somehow figured out the light; you would at the very least welcome these charts as a great review and a quick reference.

However, for someone learning the light from scratch it might be a bit more difficult learning its operation from charts alone. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes good step- by-step word instructions help a novice who might not know where to begin with complex pictures or a charts. Having said all this, a good test for these beautiful charts might be to give them to someone, like me, who has never operated a LF5XT and see if he can quickly learn its operation from just the charts. (When I get my Lf5xt, I will do just that. Right now, I am waiting for the fixed firmware before I order.) If the charts are not enough by themselves for the novice to figure out the light, perhaps the next step will be to rewrite the manufacturer's text instructions to better accompany these visuals. Any takers for that job? ;)

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the charts are not enough by themselves for the novice to figure out the light, perhaps the next step will be to rewrite the manufacturer's text instructions to better accompany these visuals. Any takers for that job? ;)

I... might be working on something along those lines... :sssh:

Zenster

Enlightened
These flow charts are absolutely beautiful!!! What a job Orcinus did!:thumbsup:

However, never owning a LF5xt and not having one in my hand, these charts appear rather intimidating.
<snip>
However, for someone learning the light from scratch it might be a bit more difficult learning its operation from charts alone. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes good step- by-step word instructions help a novice who might not know where to begin with complex pictures or a charts.
<snip>
If the charts are not enough by themselves for the novice to figure out the light, perhaps the next step will be to rewrite the manufacturer's text instructions to better accompany these visuals. Any takers for that job? ;)

C'mon, man, you're adding complexity where it isn't needed.

The FlowCharts are way better than ANY text description could be, and writing text "instructions" would be a huge step backwards in understanding.

The only (ONLY) only thing that Orcinus should consider is to perhaps write brief comments separately from the FlowChart that might explain only those areas of the Chart that some might find less than perfectly clear, and there isn't much, but there are a couple of areas.
For example, I can see where someone might get a little lost in the "circle" on the one page, but the remainder of the Charts are totally clear and easily understood.

What you need, is a "light in your hand" while looking through the charts. :thumbsup:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of writing (and actually writing) something more along the lines of an extended manual, split the same way the carts were.

Chapter outline would be as follows:

1. Introduction
2. Manual conventions
3. Basic Use
4. Programming
5. Advanced Use
6. Examples
7. Glossary

Each chapter would be followed by a quick summary of all the commands described (more or less copy/pasted from the original manual).
And all written in a clearer, more descriptive language...

I.e. it would be aimed at people who are intimidated by the charts or find trying to understand them and work through them an unnecessary nuisance.

However, since i'm not really paid to do this and it'd take more time than the charts (now, i've got time, granted, since i'm on vacation, but still...) i'm not making any promises. I'll probably just write a smallish part, post it here and see if anyone's interested in having a manual like that...

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of writing (and actually writing) something more along the lines of an extended manual, split the same way the carts were.

Chapter outline would be as follows:

1. Introduction
2. Manual conventions
3. Basic Use
4. Programming
5. Advanced Use
6. Examples
7. Glossary

Each chapter would be followed by a quick summary of all the commands described (more or less copy/pasted from the original manual).
And all written in a clearer, more descriptive language...

I.e. it would be aimed at people who are intimidated by the charts or find trying to understand them and work through them an unnecessary nuisance.

However, since i'm not really paid to do this and it'd take more time than the charts (now, i've got time, granted, since i'm on vacation, but still...) i'm not making any promises. I'll probably just write a smallish part, post it here and see if anyone's interested in having a manual like that...

Everyone learns differently. I think a manual that describes the pictures (your charts) would be great. Personally, I need both a pictorial and text description. The text gets you started and teaches you elements. The chart puts the elements together into a big picture. While I am sure people could eventually figure out the light from the charts without such text, I would bet they would do it much quicker with the right text. The perception of complexity is not necessarily that you have a lot to learn, but that it takes you so long to learn it. Anything that will speed up the learning process will make the operation of the light seem less complex.