Lokking for a Good "First Flashlight"

emr

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for a Good "First Flashlight"

This programmable light looks interesting and does not cost so much. Read the user reviews on this web page. I don't own it, but am still shopping.

Akoray Cree Q5-WC 3-Mode Memory 200-Lumen LED Flashlight
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607

Probably not quite 200 lumen, but 150 lumen would be good.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again, I'd like to start by thanking you all for the number of possibilities, and choices. I would also like to thank 1dash1 for the information on batteries.
At this point in time, I agree that an easier to find battery format would be best for my projected uses, and that a major investment in rechargeable RCR123 would be too much. As much as I like the many flashlights that currently use CR123 batteries would be too expensive to currently purchase.
Seeing the many choices, I have to ask, the nitecore that was sold on TAD Gear, (sorry I forget the name), the lumen level was changed by twisting the head in a combination, letting it adjust to the required light level, and re-twist. Now, for this flashlight, did you have to do that each time a different level was required , or was it multi level, and adjustable for each level? If it's the latter, I think that would be alight I would like. If not, I would probably go to the Fenix LD20, and some eneloops.

Again, thankyou for all of the information, and all of the different suggestions.

That sounds like the Nitecore Extreme wich is a CR123 light.You can set the light to the level you want then get max output by tightening the bezel.Basically works as a two level light and has strobe if you so desire.
Since it seems like AAs are going to be your battery of choice I would choose the LD20 as others have suggested.Fenix seems to get the most out of batteries and they are very good lights.The LD20 won't break the bank and should provide everything you want.If the LD20 is larger than you would like the LD10 would be my next choice though you will give up performance.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
This one looks very promising.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=96-152-153-6605

EagleTAC has really impressed most here with there P10 and T10 line of lights. I have a T10LC2 and it is amazing. These look like an unbelievable bargain. 195 lumens out of a 2xAA light for $40!! Are you kidding?

If this light isn't the right one for you here are some others. I would stick with a 2xAA for your first light. They are much more convenient and are nearly as bright as lights with expensive CR123 .

Here are some AA suggestions to look at in order of personal preference.

EagleTac P10A2. Great light and its 220 lumens! But it is only a low and a high setting, which is OK with me but others would like more. Especially because the "low" setting is very bright.

Fenix LD20 or older L2D. The L2D can be had for mid $50 because it is being replaced by the LD20. Other than a redesigned body, they are very similar. I think this may fit the bill best for you. There is a reason that it is the light most other AA's are compared to. It may not destroy the competition in any one area, but it does all things great. :thumbsup:

Olight T25. Great light, great build quality, great throw for a AA light.

Nitecore D20. Very nice and continually variable output.

Fenix L2T: Cheap (mid $40) with two settings, high and low, and low is actually a low setting.

Last edited:

emr

Newly Enlightened

I own the ET P10A2 and it is well built and very bright on high mode with a bright spill. I use low mode most often.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at all of the choices, I think I'll purchase the Fenix LD20 (thanks for the coupon code BTW). Overall, it seems that these lights are widely regarded here on CPF, so I don't think I'll have any problems. I took a look at the Eagletac 100A2 that was mentioned several times. I love the high output, but I feel that the LD20, with it's multimode capabilities, would be a better choice.
I'll probably be purchasing it from 4Sevens (great site BTW) within the next week or two.
Thank you all for the suggestions.
lovecpf

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
i'd like to bump this thread and possibly get one or two more opinions on the 100a2 and the ld20.

i love the value and power of the 100a2, but i think the strobe mode and ergonomics of the ld20 are very attractive as well.

like the op, this would be my first light, and would like to make an educated purchase with the great help i have been finding in this great forum.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I highly recommend any of the fenix lights. I have the P3D and honestly what I like most about it is its holster. The 225 lumen max is great and all the settings are awesome too but when it comes down to it, I could carry it all day everyday and be comfortable with it on my belt.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd like to bump this thread and possibly get one or two more opinions on the 100a2 and the ld20.

i love the value and power of the 100a2, but i think the strobe mode and ergonomics of the ld20 are very attractive as well.

like the op, this would be my first light, and would like to make an educated purchase with the great help i have been finding in this great forum.
Howdy EPVQ30 and welcome to CPF,
I think it depends on what you are going to be using the light for. For instance, If you are wanting to use it mostly for a bike light I might suggest going for the P100A2. Great value with a very bright high for riding and a useful low level for everything else.

If on the other hand this is going to be more of a general purpose light, hiking, camping, etc., I would probably recommend that you go for the Fenix LD20 because I think you would find the extra middle and lower levels quite useful (low is perfect for inside the tent at night, especially when you know it will last a long time).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
everyone here's pretty much covered it but i'd just like to tell you why i would recommend getting a Fenix LD20.

1. Tough, Fenixes are pretty durable but of course no where near Surefire from everthing that i have read but you can see some torture tests being done on Fenixes by searching on youtube.

2. Easily available cells, i'd recommend getting two 4 packs of Sanyo eneloops and you would have 4 loads of cells which should last amply for camping trips (unless you're using the LD20 on high most of the time).

3. multimode, helps you to conserve battery life thus increasing runtime while still having the ability to have higher output if necessary. you would be surprised how little light you need when its dark, my Fenix E01 is more than ample in a darkened room even with some ambient lighting from the street etc.

4. Form factor, 2 x AA is a great size to hold in your hand and is less likely to get lost, you could stick some GITD O-rings or even a tritium locator vial (available for about $10+ off DX) on it so if you drop it in the dark, you could locate it. When i go fishing, my lights are usually on a retractable lanyard thing that is clipped securely to my waistband (usually a small light like an LD01 or one my 1xAA / 1xCR123 lights with the bigger lights safely in the bag) or on a neck lanyard.

So,

1 x LD20 = $62.95 (before CPF discount)
1 x Sanyo eneloop (4 pack) = $11.95 (excluding shipping cos i dont know where you live) get these from batteryjunction
1 x charger (your choice from batteryjunction, most costly smart charger i saw there was about $27.95

62.95 + 11.95 + 27.95 = $102.95, you may have enough after factoring in the CPF discount and the shipping charges to get an E01 from 4sevens too.