Longbow vs. Nuwai Q111

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Hi,
Can somebody compare the longbow to the Q3? Size, throw, lumens overall quality? Pictures would be nice. I am especiallly interested with the length of the two.
Thanks,
Mike Morris

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As you can see from another similar post just two days ago, they're about the same size but the throw's almost equal despite the optics because the Micra uses a LuxI part driven at a lower intensity. The Micra has a tighter hotspot, while the Q-III has a lot more spill. Both are under 4" long, last I looked.

I'd also suggest checking out the reviews for the Quantum at Craig's (LED Museum) or the Flashlightreviews.com site - you're comparing two different technologies there (LuxI versus LuxIII, Optics versus Reflectors), which isn't the best idea. The Q-III throws about 175-200 feet on a dark night with a lot of spill, but the Longbow will give you a more usable hotspot at that range.

The build quality on the Longbow is somewhat better, but the Q-III isn't bad. The lumens vary on both products, depending on the batch of LEDs they had that day.

redone

Newly Enlightened
Hi Haesslich,
Sorry, but I'm a beginning flashaholic and I too am trying to decide between these two lights. Which is the better technology or idea, LuxI versus LuxIII, Optics versus Reflectors. Any and all explainations are helpful.
Thanks
Ron

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
S'alright, redone - here's the quick, Cliff's Notes summary of the situation... and I'm repeating myself from a few months back, but that's how everyone learns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LuxI versus LuxIII: Essentially the same technology, a single-die LED provides all the light for the flashlight. The LuxIII has slightly improved thermal management, and the quality is consistently better across the board as far as tints go. It can be driven a bit harder than the LuxI can be, which means it can provide more illumination as a result. LuxI's, however, because they're driven at a lower power level can have better runtimes on the same batteries... at the cost of illumination.

Optics versus reflectors: Optics tend to collimate the light they receive and project it forward in a fairly tight beam, at least in most flashlights we see here - the advantage is that they don't take up a lot of space, and you get a good hotspot when you use the collimating optics. Reflectors take the light from a light source and then bounce it forward to form a hotspot... but they usually end up spilling a lot of light too. This means you get a 'wall' of light, or at least a wider angle of illumination, but the reflector takes up more space and won't throw as far as a smaller optic will unless it's properly designed. HOWEVER, it will provide you with a lot of usable light all over, so you don't have to wave the beam about to illuminate the whole object... at the cost of a really bright hotspot.

The Longbow is a modular light system, and its body uses HA-III to ensure that the light won't scratch easily. Modules can be easily replaced, and this will ensure the light can be upgraded or modified to suit a person's needs - switches, bodies, and optics can all be changed out. You can take a Longbow Micra and run it off 2-AA batteries if you want to, or switch the optics for a reflector. You can even put a new head or a LuxIII in one... but it'll cost you to get the McCapsule and PR-T head.

The Quantum III is a cheap light - it's finish is good for the price, but it's just HA-II, so it scratches fairly easily. It does, however, throw fairly well and provide a lot of usable light with a small but usable hotspot. Depending on the LuxIII in your Q-III, it can be a lot brighter... or just marginally brighter than the Micra, but the hotspot's going to be less, as it doesn't use optics to concentrate all the light forward. It too can be modified, but not as easily as the Longbow.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Learning something as well as a newbie flashaholic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing to note - the Q-III is a little smaller, and comes with a good sheath. The Longbow, in order to give it a lot of punch, will need $95 for the McCapsule and LuxIII. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Different strokes for different folks - the Longbow does have different-colored LED modules available already, a SOX17A reflector can be dropped inside, and the lens itself can be easily replaced with an ultra-clear lens for better light transmission. It also has the ECO tube for AA use, as noted earlier, and you can get a clickie-switch or a twisty-switch for it. Many expansion options open on the Longbow, and most of them can be done without major servicing.

The Q-III, however, you can switch the LED or circuit board out, but that involves a bit of effort on your side. You can ship them off to certain modders who can add two-stage functionality to the switch or otherwise modify it, though the exact costs depend on what you want done.

Geode

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
redone said:
Hi Haesslich,
Sorry, but I'm a beginning flashaholic and I too am trying to decide between these two lights. Which is the better technology or idea, LuxI versus LuxIII, Optics versus Reflectors. Any and all explainations are helpful.
Thanks
Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron, welcome to the forum. You will probably hear this said when deciding between two lights - "buy both". This might be an idea for you. The one you don't want can be sold on our active trade section, though usually at a discount.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
The Q-III, however, you can switch the LED or circuit board out, but that involves a bit of effort on your side. You can ship them off to certain modders who can add two-stage functionality to the switch or otherwise modify it, though the exact costs depend on what you want done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an example:

Milkyspit's Pimped-Out Nuwai Quantum III Mod

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Here's some photos comparing the Q-III, Micra and TW4 (E1e/KL4 combo).

I apologize for the crappiness of the photos; my camera sucks.

lbowcomp011zl.jpg

lbowcomp022bm.jpg

kessler

Newly Enlightened
So, how do these two compare to the e1e you show?

sorry to throw a wrentvh in the thread.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean with the KL1 head, the new KL1 throws farther than the Micra or the Q-III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, the Q-III has better flood than either the Micra or the new KL1.

But since you're talking about his E1e/KL4 combo... well, that blows them both out of the water for brightness, but the Q-III throws farther than the LuxV in that one. But the KL4 is a better flood-light... which means that in brightness and flood, the KL4/E1e combo outdoes the Micra.

kessler

Newly Enlightened
I noticed Surefire doesn't mention that the KL4 fits the e1e. Did you have to mod this to make it work?
Any idea what the output and runtime are?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
kessler - the main problem is that the E1e is a one-cell body. While you CAN put the KL4 onto it... it won't be driven nearly as brightly as it would be on a E2e/d or similar two CR123 cell body. That's why they don't mention it - but it is possible.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
R123's supply out 3.7 or 4.2Vs. The KL4 was designed to be used on two-cell bodies, which allow for 6V; they do get pretty bright, but not to the full potential of the KL4 head. Depending on the Vf of the LuxV in question, you might get maybe half the brightness the thing's rated for, if it lights up, and that won't last for too long.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Yeah, what Haesslich said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My Micra with reflector has very good flood but has a more powerful hotspot than the Q-III. I think it actually throws more than my Q-III, even with the reflector.

The E1e/KL4 has massive flood, but the throw is pretty limited. It throws the least of any of the 1 cell lights I own.

I get about 90 minutes of runtime from the Q-III. I have no moon mode on mine; after 90 mins of constant brightness it flickers and dies.

My Micra runtime is undetermined, but it's at least as long as the Q-III.

My TW4 runtime is also undetermined. I just got the KL4, you see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but the main thing here is this:

The Q-III quality varies widely - this mostly has to do with the rather inefficient circuit board they use, along with the Luxeon bin used in the light at manufacture. If you replace those two parts, you can get one which will generally beat out the Micra in many applications. The TW4's runtime won't be too hot, however - the LuxV is a lot more power-hungry than the LuxIII is, voltage-wise, and really isn't optimized for one-cell use.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Great photos WallaceD. They are exactly what I wanted. I am looking for a small light that can do most everything. Can anybody answer which light has more throw? The Longbow has lux1 technology, but better optics for distance. Tha Nuwai has lux111 technology, but has a reflector. Then again lux111 technology is usually whiter and brighter. All this I have just learned! I don't care to mod the lights. I just want to buy and carry. I want small size and decent throw. I have an Inova X5 and a Streamlight TL2. I am trying to justify the cost (considerable for the Longbow) of buying another LED light. I'm looking for sort of a marriage of the two lights that I have already. The post of a couple days ago didn't answer my question.
Haesslich, thank you for the information. I learned a lot.
Mike Morris

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly? I think the Carolco optics are wasted by the LuxI - the LuxIII in a reflector which is NOT optimized for distance in a Q-III throw about as far as the Longbow's optics, and is about as bright, IMO.

If you want to stick with a Longbow, I'd suggest getting a McCapsule... for $95, that'll give you all the throw you need, and if you want more, put in a PR-T head. Otherwise, if you want 'decent' throw (150 feet or therabouts), the Q-III will do just fine. If you want a bit more throw, get someone to polish the reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif