Longest Throw LED flashlight

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
zespectre said:
200 ft huh, that would depend on what you were trying to light up and how bright you were trying to light it. A man-sized, light colored object, yeah I think so. A small brown mailbox? Probably not.

See my comments in the "three way shootout".

:goodjob: Interesting reading, zespectre.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILA BRAZILIA said:
zespectre; at Flashlightreviews they write MANY nice words about the striker VG, do you know if this light is capable of lighting up objects 200 feet away?

Hello Fila Brazilia:)

To illuminate an object, 200 feet away, is no problem for the mentioned single Led-lights. With a Mag-led i.e., best focussed, the object is relatively small illuminate.

But with really brightness illumination, you should take a look to a multiple setup. I.e. this one:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1438337#post1438337

Best regards

____
Tom

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello Fila Brazilia:)

To illuminate an object, 200 feet away, is no problem for the mentioned single Led-lights. With a Mag-led i.e., best focussed, the object is relatively small illuminate.

But with really brightness illumination, you should take a look to a multiple setup. I.e. this one:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1438337#post1438337

Best regards

____
Tom

Thanks, Long John, :popcorn: it is something with these Custom Mags, I love them :naughty:

cy

Flashaholic
have never measured in feet for throw. this one of those topics, where distance is deceiving. a laser shines pretty far but spot is so small it's next to useless for lighting.

some of these 3watt torches is in same boat. will throw far, but hot spot is so small it's next to useless.

besides throw, raw power is needed to be of any use.

FILA BRAZILIA said:
How many feet (roughly) do you think this light can throw? What about 1000 feet, possible?

Torque1st

Enlightened
The lensed 2AA River Rock was able to illuminate a light brown and tan trailer last night at ~150' with no reflectors on it. The white Jeep next to it was lit up strongly and the reflectors were very bright. For $20-$10 on sale it is quite handy. It has very little spill from the beam pattern and is not adjustable. The light is slightly blue violet. It is very definitely not a "high end" or "gee-whiz" light but the price is right.

For real distance I get out the 12V rechargeable 500,000CP light...

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
My streamlight Supertac tears up everything I have ever seen in person.

My LED Mag-lite
My M60 Malkoff

Everything.

VERY long throw!!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Over 2 year old thread, I think I remember reading this. Well, back then, The Cree XR-Es just came out so no LEDs with double the output yet, hence not that much throw back then. There were a few examples but most LED lights back then were more close range then long range.

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Interesting read just to see what it was like in the 'old days':crackup: ...crazy how far things have come along just from 2 years ago. I wonder how many active users there are now vs. then (whatever an 'active' user is)??

N/Apower

Enlightened
Well the OP made no such distinction. Curious, why did you revive this old thread when there are a million others with almost the exact same theme?

My fault. I probably discovered it during a search and did not check the post date. Sorry.

jblackwood

Enlightened
+1 on the Dereelight DBS with the R2 pill. I had a 1S Q5 pill and got an R2 pill to compare, there was none. The R2 really did give a sizable upgrade, at least in my everyday (night?) applications. Well worth the extra money.