Looking for a single or 2x AA light

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $200.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

No Surefire lights.
Not interested in any modding suggestions at all.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

I use AA Eneloops only. Preferably single AA, but 2xAA may be acceptable.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime:

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

Tail switch is essential.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

Looking for range from 'moonlight' (low reading} to bright max/turbo)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras:

____Pocket/belt clip (reversible would also be nice, but not a requirement)

Require 'warm'/'natural' tint. Greenish/bluish or overly yellowish tints are not acceptable.

------------------------------------------------

Any recommendations/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

LEDphile

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC with the neutral LED? The single AA version is a bit lower output than you are after, but there's also a 2x AA version with more output in exchange for longer length.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MDC with the neutral LED? The single AA version is a bit lower output than you are after, but there's also a 2x AA version with more output in exchange for longer length.
Thank you for the suggestion! The 2 AA version (while a bit longer than what I ideally want, as you stated) seems to be pretty close to exactly what I am looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
See also Fenix E20 V2.0.
Very compact and well crafted, its price has dropped a lot since it was released.
The tint is quite good.
Edit:
There is a good review on this forum but the lumens are 350 and not 250 as indicated in the title of the review

Thank you for the suggestion! The 2 AA version (while a bit longer than what I ideally want, as you stated) seems to be pretty close to exactly what I am looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
I've got a Malkoff 2AA I'll be putting up for sale soon. PM incoming.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
See also Fenix E20 V2.0.
Very compact and well crafted, its price has dropped a lot since it was released.
The tint is quite good.
Edit:
There is a good review on this forum but the lumens are 350 and not 250 as indicated in the title of the review
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm looking over the Fenix models now. The E20 v2 is definitely close to what I'm looking for. The E12 v2 may be what I'll try first though. The output may not be as high as I might want, but the length and clip style are swaying me as it is short enough and the clip is designed to fit both a pocket and a hat bill for handless usage. Still deciding though as tint is also important to me.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an E12 V2.0 on Amazon it is built very well, it looks solid and it is really compact but after trying it at home I returned it.
I had the old E11 and also E12 (E12 XP-E2 led 130 lumens) but the beam of the new E12 V2.0 did not satisfy me, it is not as wide as that of the previous models.
Maybe I should have tried it longer?
It has the same lens as the E20 V2.0 but I haven't seen the same beam type as the E20.
I don't remember anything about the tint but I think the E20 V2.0 has the best tint of the E12 V2.0
E12 = colder tint (6000 K?)
E20 = slightly warmer tint (about 5500K)
Both really compact lights, the E20 for being a 2xAA I think has a record size.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always recommend Malkoff…however, If you don't go Malkoff then only go Convoy. Order both a T3 and T4 direct from Convoy.
There's zero reasons to buy any other chinese import unless you want a short-lived 3,000 lumens triple or quad, or you want a 14500 with reverse polarity.

Now Lumintop does make a great Tool AA, but the clip needs improving for my use. Convoy is perfect if you're ok with the colors.

T3 is 1xAA, T4 is 2xAA.

T3:
US $15.56 | Convoy T3 flashlight ,high CRI, AA 14500 flashlight,XPG2 219B 219C LH351D 519A 13groups

T4:
US $19.86 | Convoy T4 flashlight, 2*AA 2*14500 13 groups

Pocket clip that fits both:
US $2.08 | flashlight waist clip ,stainless steel clip ,for new C8,M2,S3

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail switch is essential.
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

Me too, and this seriously limits our options - but they are out there, even if they are the minority in the market. It's a high enough priority that I'll compromise on some other things to get it. All about priorities and tradeoffs.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm looking over the Fenix models now. The E20 v2 is definitely close to what I'm looking for.
I'm thinking another option could be the Fenix LD22 (2015 version)
It is a model from a few years ago but still in the catalog, generally it is very expensive (here in Italy it costs more than the E20 V2.0)
I bought a copy on Amazon because it was on sale for only 34 euros.
I was impressed by the tint, perfectly white, I do not know if they are all like this or I was lucky.
It is a bit longer and heavier than the E20 V2.0 but has a different user interface and also has a strobe.
I took this photo for you to show the difference in size.

Edit:
The one on the left is an old Fenix E11 (1xAA)
For those curious, the one on the right above the powerbank is an old Zebralight H502 (XM-L)

Attachments

• IMG_0752bis.JPG
    IMG_0752bis.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 100

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like this LH351D 2700 K version light as a bedside light but I don't understand why they don't have reverse polarity protection yet.

Reverse polarity takes juice from the battery.
I'd rather not have it, especially on an AA light.

519a 2700k is a better color than the 351 2700k. Same lumen output, too. Same beam profile.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too, and this seriously limits our options - but they are out there, even if they are the minority in the market. It's a high enough priority that I'll compromise on some other things to get it. All about priorities and tradeoffs.
Correction: I mistakenly thought you'd indicated that you needed a momentary-on tailswitch specifically, but apparently I was mistaken. If you don't need that, you have lots of options.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Yep. I have a Zebralight SC5Fc which I really like, except that it lacks a tail switch. I also have an Olight S1A Baton that I have relegated to a 'use only if every other lighting option fails or is unavailable' role because I really just don't like it very much. I've finally decided to try and find a make/model that fits what I want as close as possible.

The Malkoffs seem fairly close, but I'm hoping to find something closer. The Fexix E12/E20 are almost there (depending on tint). I'm just tired of compromising on the tail-cap switch though as I most frequently use/hold flashlights with the tail nearest my thumb. Otherwise, Zebralights have been the best matches for my preferences so far.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD36 was the first more expensive light I've purchased.
I still have the light and box. .
I had a hard time finding the eswitch on the side to change modes.
The light rolled off a desk and quit working after 1 week of owning.

That set off a firestorm...now I make my own flashlights.
If I do buy a pricier production light I make sure it's a Malkoff/Peak/Elzetta

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I have a Zebralight SC5Fc which I really like, except that it lacks a tail switch. I also have an Olight S1A Baton that I have relegated to a 'use only if every other lighting option fails or is unavailable' role because I really just don't like it very much. I've finally decided to try and find a make/model that fits what I want as close as possible.

The Malkoffs seem fairly close, but I'm hoping to find something closer. The Fexix E12/E20 are almost there (depending on tint). I'm just tired of compromising on the tail-cap switch though as I most frequently use/hold flashlights with the tail nearest my thumb. Otherwise, Zebralights have been the best matches for my preferences so far.
Oh, absolutely on the 'tail switch' - I had that part right. I thought you required one with 'momentary-on' feature (2-stage, progressive, momentary-on / maintained-on), which I do, and that's what is far more difficult to find on the market. If you're OK with what most here call a 'reverse' switch (which is a lot of the market, particularly the imports), there are far more to look at. I require 'momentary-on' (what many call a 'forward' switch), so my options are more limited. If you do want a 'momentary-on' capability, I believe the Malkoff(s) being suggested offers that, but, for example the Fenix E12 V2 and some of the others being suggested do not. You're getting a mixture of suggestions, which is why I brought this point out.

My favorite 1xAA tailswitch light w/ momentary function is the Streamlight 1L-1AA, but being born in AL, I wouldn't knock a Malkoff either:). It gives up a little in dimensions to some others, but since it (the SL) is also CR123A compatible, I can live with the size required for that additional flexibility.

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
Streamlight ProTac 2AA ?

Hold on - that doesn't fit the "warm tint" requirement - SL's still have fairly cool white LEDs.

Has anyone suggested an Olight i5T Plus yet ?

(AFAICS the Plus is 2AA while the EOS is 1AA)

It seems to be a pretty good fit. I like it because it does not have a tailcap shroud keeping my thumb away from the switch; you may dislike it for the same reason. My experience has been that with anything narrower than a 21700-sized light the annoyance of shroud/thumb interference outweighs the advantage of being able to tail-stand.

Last edited:

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD36 was the first more expensive light I've purchased.
I still have the light and box. .
I had a hard time finding the eswitch on the side to change modes.
The light rolled off a desk and quit working after 1 week of owning.

That set off a firestorm...now I make my own flashlights.
If I do buy a pricier production light I make sure it's a Malkoff/Peak/Elzetta
Thank you for all the suggestions and info! The Malkoffs are close, but a bit too long for my preferences and I'm willing to compromise on light output in favor of just having a single AA. Peak doesn't currently make a true tail-cap clicky that I could find on their site, so I had to exclude them. Elzetta's are very nice, but limited in modes and don't seem to have anything close to a 'moonlight'/low mode (1-5 Lm), which is something I really want in a light.

So far, in terms of design/features/operations/UI, the one that's suited my tastes best is a Zebralight SC5Fc, except that it doesn't have a tail-cap switch or reversible clip (I like to clip a light to the bill of a baseball cap for hands-free operation at times). The clip aspect isn't a real deal-breaker for me, but I really want/need a tail-cap switch and a true low mode. Momentary On would be nice, but also not a requirement.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and provide information/options/suggestions!