Looking for good all around single 18650 light. Ideas?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Fenix TK15, it has 4 brightness modes and great runtimes and built like a tank. The TK15 has great throw for it's size due to a XPG LED driven at 337 lumens.

Deal4

Enlightened
I like the Fenix TK15, it has 4 brightness modes and great runtimes and built like a tank. The TK15 has great throw for it's size due to a XPG LED driven at 337 lumens.

Hi LightWalker, nice sig by the way ;-)
Ok, got a question. I am familiar with Fenix as I have their TK40, and their build quality is very nice!
What I am up against is how to convince my friend that 337 lumens is enough when you compare it to the ET P20C2 or the Klarus XT10?
How would you convince your friend that the Fenix is the way to go?
Appreciate your time!

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I just got an EagleTac P20C2 (size/brightness ratio= insane) but if I were going to buy another light today it would for sure be the Klarus XT10 hands down (which has the battery option you're looking for.) The dual switch on the back is PERFECT for self defense/night stand duties, if you're going to have strobe on a light, having one click access is awesome. The light seems to have a good balance between throw and spill and it's pretty bright.
For LEO/Duty use, the Klarus XT10 is an excellent choice due to the fact that it comes on at max output every time. For a more casual user, that feature can be a real detriment. Having a light fire up at max output, especially one as powerful as the one's we are talking about, when you are out camping and need a little light in the tent in the middle of the night to find something...well...your tent-mate(s) will not be happy. So whether or not the Klarus' feature of always coming on at max is desirable or detrimental is something the buyer will need to decide. I would not reccomed the XT10 as an "All Around" light, due to this feature. I, personally, feel the EagleTac is a much better "All Around" light...YMMV.

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
I really like my KD C8, a lot of power: nice beam profile, good combination of throw/spill and it's cheap
I'm not familiar with this light. Where did you buy it? You said it was cheap. Care to share what you paid for it?
I know my friend will be wanting a very sturdy light. Would you say this light is on par with Fenix type quality?
Thanks!
Shad

Deal4

Enlightened
For LEO/Duty use, the Klarus XT10 is an excellent choice due to the fact that it come on at max output every time. For a more casual user, that feature can be a real detriment. Having a light fire up at max output, especially one as powerful as the one's we are talking about, when you are out camping and need a little light in the tent in the middle of the night to find something...well...your tent-mate(s) will not be happy. So whether or not the Klarus' feature of always coming on at max is desirable or detrimental is something the buyer will need to decide. I would not reccomed the XT10 as an "All Around" light, due to this feature. I, personally, feel the EagleTac is a much better "All Around" light...YMMV.

You hit the nail on the head IMHO.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Deal4, The two lights you listed will be a little brighter than the TK15 but will have floodier beams, the Klarus XT10 has a OP -Orange Peel reflector and a XML LED which is bigger than a XPG LED and needs a bigger reflector to have good throw, the OP reflector usually does not throw as well as a smooth reflector but will usually have a cleaner beam profile. The ET P20C2 does not take a 18650 and has a small reflector but will run on a 17670, the T20C2MKII will run on a 18650 and has a bigger reflector and can change modules XPG or XML.

You will need a pretty big reflector for a XML LED to out throw a XPG LED even if the XML LED is putting out more lumens.

I like the user-interface of the Fenix TK15 more than the Eagletacs.

I like your sig also.

Last edited:

Dreamaster

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dreamaster,
I think the Klarus XT10 is a good light too. What I was wondering is what you like better about the XT10 than the ET other than its tacticle qualities? My friend isn't in law inforcement, and really isn't all that concered with self defence. Is there any other qualities you like better about the XT10?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Nope! If he's more of a pacifist, then the EagleTac T20c2 is probably a better choice, it will definitely be brighter AND it will out throw the Klarus, plus it has some general user flashy modes like beacon and S.O.S. that the Klarus does not.

It's interesting how much "coming on in high" bothers some of you, it's never been a problem for me, I simply press the flashlight head into my body, hand, or leg (to cover the output) and cycle the modes down to where I need at night when I don't want to disturb my family. :) I agree about the Fenix's interface being better though than the EagleTac, I came really close to getting a Fenix PD31, but the insane lumen rating of the Eagletac won me over... my little P20c2 can really light up an entire 100 yard field.

Deal4

Enlightened
No my friend isn't any kind of pacifist, just not looking to use the light for any kind of tacticle situation. (one would hope)
Thanks for giving more information about the Klarus and the ET!
I hear what you are saying about just pressing the light into your hand or whatever and then cycling through the modes, but with all the lights available there are plenty that don't make you have to do that. Either way not too big a deal.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw one other light out for consideration, but it may be a tad higher priced than you friend wants...the Sunwayman V20C. It is actually the light that I just ordered for myself, and it will be an "All Around" light for me. Everything from low-light shooting to avoiding/picking up dog poo to quietly coming to bed late at night and not disturbing my spouse, this light will be tasked with it all. I love the variable output ring, which allows the light to be turned down to a dull glow before even turning the light on (and then set back to "photon cannon" after turning the light off). The EagleTac was very appealing to me, especially because of the diffusing filter. But in the end the Sunwayman got the nod as my pick due to the fact that it has the same bezel diameter as my very old Surefire 6Z (which is getting a ThruNite XM-L drop-in module upgrade). I carry my lights bezel down, and being able to use a common light carrier for either light is a nice plus for me. I also liked the variable output ring on the Sunwayman a lot. The EagleTac was a VERY tempting light (I freakin LOVE the diffusing filter), but for me the Sunwayman V20C was just a better fit for my needs/wants.

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
Just got done talking with my friend and it turns out he wants a light to mount on his AR-15. :ohgeez:
Well, that changes things around a bit. I didn't know that when he sent me the e-mail.
What do you think, should I just start a whole new thread? He would like to have one with a pressure switch if at all possible. Now I'm really out of my league!:eek:oo:

He does like the ET P20C2. Especially since you can switch out the different drop ins. Anyone have any idea if can be converted to us a pressure switch?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Just got done talking with my friend and it turns out he wants a light to mount on his AR-15. :ohgeez:
Well, that changes things around a bit. I didn't know that when he sent me the e-mail.
What do you think, should I just start a whole new thread? He would like to have one with a pressure switch if at all possible. Now I'm really out of my league!:eek:oo:

He does like the ET P20C2. Especially since you can switch out the different drop ins. Anyone have any idea if can be converted to us a pressure switch?

Shad,

There's no need for a new thread. Have him read the whole page from this link, but focus toward the bottom: http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html .

Let him know that he can borrow mine, I'm sure he'll be more than satisfied. He can also look at my P20 for the heck of it, but the T20 was designed for weapon mounting. He can try out both the XPG-R5 and the XM-L modules. Call me tomorrow to make arrangements.

-John

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened

Both the Klarus and the ET have remote pressure switches that can be ordered for them, as will as picatinny rail mounts. But you should ask him if he wants a flashlight that can be mounted to his AR, or a dedicated weapon light for his AR. The answer to that question is rather important, since we are looking at two very different roads to go down.

Deal4

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Yeah depending on the light he wants they are very different.
Good to know about the T20. I will be passing this info along.
Thank to you both!

Latest posts