Looking for led replacement bulbs

Gator809

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for led replacement bulbs for some different applications.

The first are for use on a heavy equipment trailer. I'd like to replace the stock 1156,1157 and 194 bulbs with led versions for better shock and vibration resistance. Stock light output is needed, higher light output would be nice, but not required.

Second is is to replace the 1156, 1157 and 194 bulbs on INTERIOR light fixtures on my RV for better lighting and lower amp draw. Heat is a concern due to plastic housings and lenses.

I know now I can replace the fixtures with led ones, but time and funds call for more budget friendly options at the moment.

thanks in advance

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board. There is a search function that might have let you find some good answers without waiting.
It doesn't matter much what bulbs you try in your interior lights, but most of today's LED bulbs are a safety hazard when installed in exterior lights—pretty good writeup on that subject here.

The ones worth trying are these red 1157s, these red 1156s, and these white 1156s. 194 bulbs for use with colorless ("white") and amber lights are easy; that's these or these. Those (like the white 1156s) won't work in a red-lens lamp. There's a good red 194/168 from Sylvania, but it's brand new and not yet in wide distribution; give it a bit of time. In all cases, be advised that you're running the risk of changing the performance of the lamp in ways that aren't safe; see here for the details.

What kind of trailer is this? What kind of lights does it have on it, exactly? Good quality LED replacements might not cost as much as you think.

GePa

Newly Enlightened
Well for interior lighting you can either look for Osram or Philips leds. They are not expensive and worth every cent.
Also i wouldn´t worry about heat, they are small leds and they don´t generate a lot of heat.
I replaced all the interior bulbs with leds and so far they didn´t melt any plastic. As a matter of fact the festoon bulbs they can melt plastic, but the festoon leds bulbs even if you use them a lot won´t generate any heat.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
They do not fit a 2008 Civic, which takes a totally different type of bulb.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those would fit, but no data on whether they'd work safely/legally. There's a brand-new 7443 from Sylvania in their "Zevo" brand that might well be better...or also might not work safely/legally. But the philips you linked and the Sylvania Zevo that's still too new to be widely available are the only two legitimate ones.

Gator809

Newly Enlightened
The heavy equipment trailer is just a standard equipment trailer, with the older style lights with pastic housings, minimal if any reflectors, and 4" red plastic lenses. Between damage, theft and vandalism, I've found it cheaper for me just to keep a few extra lenses on hand instead of using nicer lights. The reason for LED bulbs if for shock resistance because of bouncing around a lot due to running almost every day.

The RV is just a basic model of RV, The want for LED is to lessen amp draw when not plugged in.

Thanks