Looking for Novatac 120P advice

grizzly1nv

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I have been searching for a smaller light, (as I have several Surefires 6P, C2, etc.. and a Blackhawk Gladius) and the Novatac 120P looks like a good choice. Want your advice as to build quality, beam quality and overall quality.

Also I have found them on-line for $110, sounds like a good price, but has there been any changes/upgrades with this light over time, because the price varies considerably from dealer to dealer. And I don't want to get stuck with an older/out of date model.

Any help would be appreciated.

This seems to be an excellent forum, with a lot of knowledge.

grizz

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thread should help you I EDC an Olive 120P and feel naked without it. I don't wear a belt, and slide the body through my belt loop with clip facing out. Most of the time I never notice it's there. Beam quality is excellent, and the user-configurable modes are really nice. I leave my locator flash 'on' so it's easier to find by bedside.
Also, :welcome:

grizzly1nv

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, brighterisbetter. Just got finished reading the post you suggested. Looks like I will be getting the Novatac 120P.

Has anyone delt/ordered from BotachTactical.com, as they seem to have the best price I can find. Any recommedations as to where to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

grizz

gorn

Enlightened
Has anyone delt/ordered from BotachTactical.com, as they seem to have the best price I can find. Any recommedations as to where to buy would be appreciated.

I have not had problems with Botach, although many here have. I would suggest that you order from them by phone, that seems to work, whereas an Internet order may become a nightmare for you.

I bought my 120P from yourcornerstore.com. I paid $123 for it and don't regret the purchase at all. I use it for my "wandering around the house at night" light.

grizzly1nv

Newly Enlightened
gorn, thank you for your reply, I will check out yourcornerstore.com.

I just notice the picture on Botactacticals web site for the 120P shows the tail switch not being flat, but protruding like on the 120T model. Is there different 120P models, with different switches?

Tomcat!

Enlightened

I just notice the picture on Botactacticals web site for the 120P shows the tail switch not being flat, but protruding like on the 120T model. Is there different 120P models, with different switches?

That's interesting. I got a 120P from Lighthound 5 days ago and the tail is flat. I specifically wanted it to tail stand as I wanted maximum versatility to go with the programmable features. Lighthound say that this model will tail stand though they do not guarantee it. I took this to mean there may be a slight protrusion (I've had this with one Fenix), but it shouldn't mean that it has a proper sticky-out tactical switch like the picture on the Botach site. Check with them.
Detailed info from Lighthound on the Novatac EDC range:
http://www.lighthound.com/NovaTac-E...DC-85T-EDC-120T-EDC-85T-EDC-120T_ep_54-1.html

So far I really like the 120P. the build and beam quality are very good indeed. It's nowhere near as bright or energy efficient as my Fenixes on high, but I really bought it to take over low/ultra low light duty from my Gladius, and to supersede an E1e. In those areas it works well. I also wanted to use my Surefire E series filters and diffuser on it because of the 1 inch body, and these work very nicely, particularly the red filter. The UI for programming is very fiddly so far and I've managed to screw up the setting more than once. It's not really made for quickly changing modes on the fly, but if you want to reconfigure it before a planned trip it's great for saving you the trouble of taking different lights. I'd say that the 120P pretty much takes care of all my lighting needs up to the 100 lumen mark. You'll like it.

grizzly1nv

Newly Enlightened
Tomcat, thanks for the great info and link. Maybe BotachTactical just has an old picture. I will give them a call to verify the button is flat. The price seems good at $110.

Zenster

Enlightened

There are three different models of the Novatac 120; the P, the T, and the E models.

The 120P has the flat switch, so I'm going to make a WAG that Botach simply used the wrong pic in their ad for the 120P.
That stuff happens all the time.

By the way, the Novatac has already established itself as a "Classic" with it's beautiful beam, build quality, and well thought out UI.

Just do it. :)

If you're not sure about the differences in the models, here's where you can find out. Check out the comparison chart at the bottom of the page:
http://www.novatac.com/faqs.html

grizzly1nv

Newly Enlightened
Zenster, you say "just do it". I'm trying, was told by gorn and others where I work to order by phone when using BotachTactical, but all I get is voice mail and have already left a mesage. Thanks for the words of wisdom and confidence building.

Will try to get one ordered ASAP.

Any other advice anyone has as to a cheap place to buy, please chime in.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
As far as I'm aware, the two best places (and the two cheapest reputable stores, something botach definitely isn't) to buy one of these are yourcornerstore and Battery Station. YCS has a great price and those who have purchased from them seem to have no regrets, not sure what they charge for shipping. BS has a slightly higher price and will probably charge around $10 for shipping, but they throw in a free battery caddy and four CR123s; plus they're a longtime supporter of the forum.

gorn

Enlightened
Shipping at yourcornerstore.com is reasonable. I think I paid $5.95 for shipping of the 120P and a knife. It arrived at my house 2 days after it shipped. On another note about them. I bought a couple of knives from them that were defective from the factory. I called them up and spoke with the owner on the phone. He mailed me out a UPS mailing sticker and before it got to me a replacement for the knife arrived at my door. The second knife was also factory defective (a schrade auto). I spoke with Ycs's owner again. He upgraded the knife to a spyderco cricket which was more expensive at no cost and let me keep the junk schrade.

Customer service there is top notch. I will be buying from them in the future.

Khemist

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, just wanted to add that YCS is out of the black 120Ps, but have recently gotten several of the olives in. Personally, I'd go with YCS over Botach, fast shipping, best price I could find. Get the light, you will love it. It's my personal favorite of the meager collection I have. I eventually got the Ultra-Clear Lens (UCL), titanium lanyard ring, AW RCR123, glow rings, and cordura holster from Lighthound. Lots of accessory options. Hoping to add a stainless steel bezel from 4 sevens in the future, they just make the light really pop. No regrets!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't go into all the details about Botac but just STAY AWAY FROM BOTAC!!! You will be doing yourself a big big favor. BOTAC = Bilk Or Take All Customers. IIRC the son of the guy that started that place just got into big trouble selling junk ammo to the U.S. Government!
Novatac 120P is a great choice and NO there are no new models that are better than any of the first ones except for color choice. Black ones are newer in color choice but many of the natural or olive are also new. Black just was not available when they first came out.
If you can watch the B/S/T on cpfmarketplace.com (our sister forum here for CPF) you'll find quite a few Novatacs up for sale and in my experience you'll get excellent deals from most CPF members and will know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Don't hesitate, get yourself a 120P right now. They are that good :)

I bought mine from Lighthound. Fantastic customer service, and widely respected here on CPF.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your CornerStore has more of the Olive p120's, I would go for it rather than waiting for the black body light. I have been disappointed in how the anodizing on my black body p120 has held up, especially in the areas of the agressive knurling and sharp edges near the logo/serial number plains. Nobody has complained about this with the Olive anodizing.
Knowing that they have new stock now of the Olive ones will assure you that you will get the latest version with the improved clip.