looking for ROP bulbs

Barrie

Enlightened
Hi Bill :wave:
i have a few of the GH24s rated at 201 lumens
i am looking for a more powerful bulb they do a 450 lumen bulb but it is bi-pin and i dont have a bi-pin adapter and KDs are sold out at the moment so rop bulbs looked like the best choice but not avalible here in the uk :shakehead
Barrie

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hi Bill :wave:
i have a few of the GH24s rated at 201 lumens
i am looking for a more powerful bulb they do a 450 lumen bulb but it is bi-pin and i dont have a bi-pin adapter and KDs are sold out at the moment so rop bulbs looked like the best choice but not avalible here in the uk :shakehead
Barrie

Run the GH24's with two 18650's and you will like the results. I do it and no problem with insta-flashing, and I am using a low ohm modded switch.

Bill

Barrie

Enlightened
I'm waiting on 18650 protected cells arriving i will give it a go when they arrive :cool: thanks
Barrie

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barrie, let us know how you get on with the GH24/18650 setup
I'm looking for an alternative to the ROP Hi as well

Cheers :twothumbs

Barrie

Enlightened
hi TX101
i have run the GH24 on 6 AAs in 3AA-2D with no problems just not as bright as i would like it
i also tried it on a 6D light with 8Cs and insta-flash so 2x18650s probably on the limit of the bulb
i will let you know how i get on when i get the battery's there coming from KDs ordered a week ago usual takes 2-3 weeks
Bill mentioned he uses a soft start switch which i don't have so we will see what happens :naughty:
Barrie

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
hi TX101
i have run the GH24 on 6 AAs in 3AA-2D with no problems just not as bright as i would like it
i also tried it on a 6D light with 8Cs and insta-flash so 2x18650s probably on the limit of the bulb
i will let you know how i get on when i get the battery's there coming from KDs ordered a week ago usual takes 2-3 weeks
Bill mentioned he uses a soft start switch which i don't have so we will see what happens :naughty:
Barrie

No, I do not have a soft start switch. The Mag switch has had resistance reduced, which would mean more voltage to the bulb, so more potential for insta-flash with two 18650's, but no problems. One thing I did not mention, I am using the frosted GB24, as I do not have a good MOP to reduce artifacts, and the frosted works well, with a nice round beam. I have the non frosted GB24's as well, and I could experiment with one of my LDF mag windows.

Bill

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
It seems like the KD bipin to PR converter is out of stock forever. However, I managed to find this a while back:
http://www.e-lectronics.net/bipin-fireproof-lamp-socket-base-p-406.html
It seems to be about the same thing if you are still looking for one, and they ship to the UK.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a 6d mag that I want to upgrade. If I purchase the bipin socket you linked to above, what would be the best bulb (for brightness) to get to go with it?

Also, would the only other things I need to purchase be:

#1. Aluminum reflector
#2. Glass lens ?

Thanks!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the KD bipin to PR converter is out of stock forever. However, I managed to find this a while back:
http://www.e-lectronics.net/bipin-fireproof-lamp-socket-base-p-406.html
It seems to be about the same thing if you are still looking for one, and they ship to the UK.
Very interested in that, as it looks like the base might only be the diameter of a PR bulb. And has a mounting flange.

The problem with the "CPF" ones is that the barrel is over-diameter, presumably for heat transfer reasons, which means they ony work in Maglites.

So if these are the size I think they are, this is a very exciting find indeed.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a 6d mag that I want to upgrade. If I purchase the bipin socket you linked to above, what would be the best bulb (for brightness) to get to go with it?

Also, would the only other things I need to purchase be:

#1. Aluminum reflector
#2. Glass lens ?

Thanks!

If you have a 6D maglite, you might as well get the 3854 "ROP" bulb and 6 D nimh cells. This would give you a very bright light with a lot of runtime, and at pretty much a minimum cost. There aren't really many 6/7.2 V bulbs that are all that much brighter than the ROP bulbs at 7.2 volts (which is what the Nimh cells would give you). In order to get a decent increase in brightness, you would need to step up to a higher voltage, which would require more creative battery options for a 6D mag. You could try 6 D Lithium Ion cells, but then you would have to use a 24V bulb, and they draw upwards of 10 amps, which isn't really safe for normal LiCo cells.

Other than the ROP, the only thing I can think of is trying to fit some IMR 26650 cells in the 6D mag. However, the 24 watt bulbs also output a LOT of heat, so the stock mag switch would probably melt.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am very happy with my 6D ROP!

I got the D size LSD cells and the fivemega deep reflector V2. It is bright and a super thrower. Plus with the D size cells the runtime is impressive.

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Sgt. Any ideas on where I can find a reflector? It looks like 5mega no longer sells those. Are there any other places that has something similar?

Edit:

I found a reflector: SKU: S003068 from the place that is not mentioned. I know it is probably not nearly as good as a 5Mega reflector, but the price was right for my current budget. :grin2: Now, I just need to find some good LSD cells.

Last edited:

Latest posts