LS2 (1W HD), LS3 (5W emitter at 2W) pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Steelhead,

Thanks for that... I found myself grinning when I realized our posts contained similar views. As far as our history is concerned, well, it's history to me. Now let's just hope Mr. Gransee "sees the (our) light".
smile.gif

Respectfully to all,

Jim

JohnG

Enlightened
<sniff>....I'm getting all misty-eyed.
frown.gif

I feel I too should voice my opinion here and say that a tail cap switch should be an optional accessory only. (I don't think you'll sell many)
I would much prefer a shorter, smaller Arc LS package that can easily be pocket carried without fear of accidental turn-on.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would prefer the lanyard hole. It's a clean design and does not hinder the LS's pocketability. I go back and forth between my Arc AAA and LS on my keychain. I think when I quit smoking again I will stay with the LS, it's volume replacing that of my now omnipresent Bic lighter.

Jim

MarcV

Enlightened
A 1" splitring in the lanyard hole provides a convenient finger anchor (little finger) to provide leverage for one-hand on/off operation. If we have no clickie switch, then this is a useful adjunct with the twist switch configuration.

I use paracord for the lanyard. If the lanyard hole is too small for paracord, then a clinch knot is second best. The knurling on the head provides an excellent base for the clinch knot, not so aggressive that tightening is difficult, not so smooth that friction is lost.

So, if the clickie switch is available (I prefer it), you can drop the lanyard ring hole and shorten up the case even more.

JohnG

Enlightened
I like the current design with flat bottom and lanyard/keyring hole just fine.
I may learn to like the switch if I give it a try.....but I think I'd rather try it on a $9 Maglight than an Arc LS2.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I think the lanyard hole in the present 123 pack makes the light look more "finished" than it would look with a plain flush end. I only use the lanyard once in a while. But it is nice to have a place to attach clips, lanyards, ec. to it.
John

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok here is my MHO. I have stated before that I do not mind paying a lot of money for a quality light. However I have three of these Kroll tail switches and there is nothing quality about them, and no amount of moding IMO could make these acceptable on such a fine work of art like an Arc.

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
I have one big question.
Do any of these anti-tailswitch concerns have any bearing on the final product or is the tailswitch a done deal. If it is I'll quit moaning and move on to another manufacturer until ARC finally sees the light.

Cutter

Enlightened
This may be a dumb question, but do any of the Arc LS version 1 lights contain the high dome l.e.d.? Or is this strictly going to be in the LS version 2 for the first time??

Thanks,
Dan

r2

Enlightened
I vote for a pack w/out tailswitch. A tailswitch is handy, but I want to be able to drop it in a backpack or jam it into a bag without worrying about it coming on accidently. That was my main reason for switch from a Photon 3 on my keychain to an Arc AAA (I've found many other reasons to support that choice since then).

I had a SLS for a while (sold it in anticipation of updated models) and thought the SLS with 2AA pack was the best feeling light I ever had. Nice heft, solid feel, no danger of it turning on accidently. Lack of waterproofing was a disappointment. I think the LS2 w/out a tailswitch (2AA and 123 packs) would be perfect. The tighter beam, better beam color, and waterproofing would answer the only things I could imagine improving in the LS1.

- Russ

JohnG

Enlightened
Cutter,
High domes were available in various colors on the "Seconds and Specials" page at the Arc site a while ago but high dome whites are being saved for the new revision, I believe.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
OK, I'm back from my trip (wedding in Portland) and have some comments about these fantastic lights I've been carrying around for the past couple of days:
Stealhead and others, calm down….don't be disappointed. ARC is listening to EVERYONE's comments and things are in the works. I think it is generally accepted now that the Kroll is ugly, yes? Well, there are options…and perhaps some pics can be posted in the near future of some alternative designs.

The Kroll switch is….ugly….and…cheap….BUT, it is very functional. It is the quickest and most reliable solution that Peter could find…and remember, he wanted to find a tailcap switch solution for us guys…. Of course, other solutions are constantly being investigated and analyzed.

Now a bit on the lights. Compared to my ARC LS (First Run 001), the output of both the LS2 and LS3 are just incredible. Flashaholics will not be disappointed. For such small EDC lights, these things are the brightest I've seen.

LS2: I really like the beam color and quality of this light. It has a very clean center spot. Excellent quality. The color of the light is a very cool white. It's just…well, I wouldn't change a thing about the beam color and quality. It's centered, too…dead on.

LS3: This is light's output is simply amazing. Forget the pictures…they don't do this small light any justice. If you want illumination, you want the LS3. If you want to illuminate a pitch dark path, even a small auditorium, then this is your light. The nice thing is that the output with the 1 123 pack is very good, considering the size of the overall light with this small battery pack. With the 2 123 pack, the output is even brighter and more impressive. The LS3, with its flood-like beam, really illuminates the entire area. You can see everything in your peripheral vision better, which helps a lot. But at the same time, the beam is strong enough that it has enough throw to illuminate objects 30 or 40 feet away (or more?). All this coming from a tiny flashlight.

Construction: The new housing is definitely a welcome revision. It incorporates a really good seal that has been pressure tested to quite some extent. I had no problems with water leaking into the light. I went swimming with it and simulated higher pressure forces under water (I was violently swinging my hands under water, clicking the light on/off, on/off.) In terms of water tightness, I think this light is just fine. J

Size: Some of you might be hesitant to see how the smaller ARC LS2 and LS3 heads match up against your older power packs. Well, the head is smaller in diameter, but not so significantly smaller that it will look goofy with your older power packs. In fact, using the ARC LS3 with a revision 1 2AA power pack, it worked perfectly and I didn't even notice the size difference (although, to tell you the truth, I didn't stare at it and examine the exact match).

Run time: I got very respectable numbers. Both the LS2 and LS3 incorporate revised electronics that give very nice and flat regulation. After running the LS3 for several minutes, I noticed that it was starting to warm up (NOTE: this is a high power pocket-sized flashlight!) but this tells me that the heat sink is working very well and the heat is being distributed throughout the flashlight very efficiently.

Any other questions? I'll be checking the forum a bit more during the day today.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My 2 cents:

Both lights were fantastic and I agree with Roger's statements completely. A few of us shanghied Roger and made him share the lights. :)

The Kroll Switch should be renamed the BU switch. However, aside from it's looks, once you have had the convenience of a clickie, it's difficult to go back; at least for me. Diffferent strokes for different folks is the nature of our world but I want to mod every light I own to clickie! I do feel that the current design has some serious short comings, functionally, if the LS is to be a pocket carry. Mr. BU, if exposed, is likely to illuminate the jewels on ocassion.

Aside from the BU controversey, the beam quality and levels of illumination from the LS2 and LS3 are very nice! I personally like the wideer angles of illumination and the LS3 can punch out a wide beam farther than one would expect from a Luxeon. As discussed elsewhere, the solution for centering the light from a 5W in a tight beam for long throw has still to be revealed. The LS2 is what I wished my LS1 and SLS's were capable of.

More positive progress on the bleeding edge thanks to Peter!

- Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to got into the sneak peek the other night and I would have to concur totally with Don and Roger.

I'm not usually one to offer comments or suggestions. I really feel that Peter needs to drive this as best as possible from his business point of view.

Putting that aside on a blind comparison the LS2 and LS3 are excellent quality lights. Like what was said before the beam output is exceptional. Wish my minimag mod looked like this.
grin.gif

Both LS2 and LS3 are awesome lights. Aside from the tailcap switch the size, balance and excellent light output makes these top notch flashlights.

I was totally impressed with the LS3 and more so considering this is underdriven! It really is a good balance of battery usage and light output in one small compact size. I'm not clear why the 1W beam pattern is so narrow and the 5W beam pattern is so much wider. Both the LS3 and my McGuchi have a really wide throw. The additioanal brightness offsets any of the wide throw and makes the light very useful. To me it actually sits right on the border between being a close flood light like the Inova X5 and a good throw light like the Legend LX. It can be used for either purpose since the beam reach is farther than 10 feet and probably useable to 40-50 feet or more and yet very wide up close when you drop the 1 dollar bill.

I stuck the LS3 in my pocket but I got caught before I left and never ended up leaving with it!
smile.gif

-WayneY

JohnG

Enlightened
"Aside from the tailcap switch the size, balance and excellent light output makes these top notch flashlights."
"The Kroll Switch should be renamed the BU switch."
"The Kroll switch is….ugly….and…cheap…"

Well, it's nice to know we're not alone in our thoughts.

tongueani.gif

MY

Enlightened
If the tailcap could be removed (like maglight) and the threads similar to other lights on the market (say, surefire), could we not then just choose among several designs, which tailcap to use. I have a Kroll clickie and know that it will add unpleasant length to the EDC of the light.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
MY,

Threads and dimensions are all different. No Geneva Convention on tail caps :-(

Peter is holding out on us anyway; he is close to perfecting a psychic PWM tail piece. It knows the level of light and when we want it and responds with in nano seconds. Man I can't wait! Dang, he's the moderator for this forum so this post will likely be deleted before the word gets out............

Darell

Flashaholic
Yahoo! I got to play a bit with the LS2 and LS3 as well. What fun.

But before we go there, we need a little background. I'm fully aware than many folks around these parts think that I'm some sort of Arc shill. But it ain't so. I like Peter, and I like his company. And I REALLY like his AAA light. Of all my flashlights, the Arc AAA is my favorite and most used. I respect Peter's business practices, and know that he lives and breathes flashlights. I talk up the Arc AAA whenever it seems appropriate because it is the light that I use every single day. BUT, I pay full price for all my lights. And I've purchased… uh… "several" Arc AAA's since I discovered Arc in November of 2001. As Peter himself will likely tell you, I'm not just one of his biggest fans, I can also be one of his harshest critics. OK, enough for the history lesson…

To be completely frank, I actually didn't have super-high hopes that the LS2 and LS3 would be hugely different animals from my favorite LS1 or SLS. At least not the prototypes. Well guys – to put it concisely, I was impressed. Both of these lights rock, but for different reasons. Right now I don't know if I could choose a favorite between them, but I know I want them both. The beam of the LS2 is about as close to a traditional flashlight (read E2) as I've ever seen from an LED. It is a tight beam that projects amazingly far. This thing is tight and bright! The LS3 is the brightest LED light that any of us has seen (this side of the 5W greenie that is driven full-bore via Wayne Y's magic) and just chases the night away. Because of the broad beam, it doesn't appear to project as far. But I'll bet it does – it just does it while also lighting up all the edges.

The style I'll leave for more subjective discussion – but I'm pretty confident that LED flashlight aficionados everywhere will be impressed with the output that these new LS's offer. I promise, they will put the best LS1 to shame. And that's saying something! I also promise that incandescents' days are numbered!

As usual, the line for these begins right behind ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.