LS4: Does it use a Luxeon III?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4 circuitry will be potted in making it difficult to mod without possibly destroying the light. However, there are many creative modders here who may be able to devise a way to hotrod the Arc4. Even then, the size of the Arc4 really make it suitable for an EDC type of light, not the eye scorcher we're all seeking. THe most used Arc I have is not a hotrodded version but a stock 333mA version. I prefer longer runtime.

CM

LightScene

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The only time you begin to see a difference between the Lux III and the regular 1 watter is when it's driven above 700mA.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this chart is correct, you'll see more output from the Luxeon 3 from 400mA on up. L3 vs 1W

Frankly, I don't understand why a high-end light would use a 1 watt instead of a 3. The prices are too similar. The L3 gives more light with more head-room for almost the same price. To me there is no choice. It seems obvious that the Arc 4 will be more popular if it uses a L3.

LukeK

Enlightened
However, if you look at the graph you'll note that the change is not very great until you reach higher amperages. If you need more info about why the Lux III is used then please go back and read shifty's, roth's and peter's posts.

LLLean

Enlightened
I think the Arc4 will be a great light, but i, too, wish it uses a Lux III. I'm not an expert in this, but isn't the boost mode of the Arc4 only runnable for say 5-20 secs, depending on the temp and juice left in the battery. While that is useful, it's much more useful if that level of brightness can be sustained. And let's not forget that even with boost mode, it's roughly only 1/3 brighter than current LSH-P. Isn't the Lux III capable of being run at over 700mA over a longer period of time. Couldn't the Arc4 use a Lux III and have level of 300, 500, 750mA with a boost of say 1100mA? 123 cells are cheap these days, so if it can run for 60 min in normal usage (meaning a combination of the different levels, say at 500mA most of the time and then high levels where needed), most people will probably be very happy.

As i said, i'm not an expert, so my view could all be technically flawed. But based on what i've read here and in the mods forum, that's what i gather.

- LLL

LukeK

Enlightened
Though the Lux III can handle 1000mA with normal heatsinking, the Arc4 is, of course, a small EDCworthy body. Heat is still the deciding factor.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I find myself very confused regarding this whole area of 1watt/LIII/5watt. I have an ARC LS and a TW4, and if I fire up both at the same time with new batteries, the TW4 outshines the LS for the entire run and lasts quite a bit longer as well. Obviously the 5w is running more efficiently, so why isn't it a better choice than the 1w or LIII?.

I know some threads mentioned that leds gain efficiency at lower drive levels, but does that completely account for the 5w's advantage?. I know that I don't use my LS at all since I got the TW4.

Can someone with more in-depth knowledge can explain it so a dummy like me can understand it?.

Thanks in advance!.

Al

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, yes the difference is in the efficiency of the emitter. The tradeoffs are in the beam concentration and the cost of the flashlight (see Arc5).

So are there anymore questions about why the Arc4 does not have a Lux III?

I think there will continue to be people who think the III is more ideal than the I for a single cell EDC. I could do a side by side demo but it would take a lot of my time to build an example of each. Might be a project for a slow day. But even then, I think there would still be individuals who would doubt the results.

The whole idea of making a light brighter by throwing more power at it goes against my design philosophy.

Peter

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, A slow day??? If you keep coming up with great designs like the Arc4 and Arc5 then you may not have a slow day anytime soon.

There will be many however that would love to see that comparision you mentioned if you were to demonstrate it I think that would put allot of doubts to bed except for those that are die-hard one way or another. But should help those on the fence.

Just my thoughts.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
The whole idea of making a light brighter by throwing more power at it goes against my design philosophy.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people would agree that more power is required for more light, at least until the effeciencies of LED's are improved. Effeciencies will surely improve as time passes.

It still seems to me that forcing a 1W LED on the customer is like having a 55 mph governor on a Ferrari. All that marvelous engineering throttled down to something no better than a Saturn [and Saturn is a great car, but certainly not a Ferrari].

Maybe the best long term solution is a modular design where the customer can plug the LED module and optic module [Fraen, NX0x, reflector] of their own choice into the smart light engine.

All this discussion is really moot at this point, the decision has been made and the customers will respond accordingly. I'm sure the Arc4 will have a tremedous kickoff by ARC loyalist, but will it gain new market share?

I guess time will tell, and I wish you the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
I agree. I absolutely love the modified arc I just received in the mail yesterday... current upped to 660ma, using a luxeon 3, fraen optics... the last EDC light I'll ever need. I absolutely love the style and durability along with the great customer service of Arc, but I'm a sucker for a bright light especially in the above $100 price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and I run it using the AA adaptor anyways for longer runtime... with 123 batteries the runtime would be limited. I'll probably pass on the Arc4, and take a peek at the Arc5 if they decide to come out with an AA battery adaptor for it.

Arc has always gone for the market looking for smaller size over brightness along with durability, and running a luxeon 3 using one 123 battery would have serious runtime and heat limitations... and if they decide to go with larger flashlights, they become a surefire (unless that larger flashlight uses AA batteries ).. so I can understand their desirability to keep the lights small enough to fit on keychains.. for me that's not an issue, I prefer them larger with AA's , so I guess personal preference is part of the equation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For me being able to get such a beautifully designed light as An Arc LS running the 2 AA adaptor with a luxeon 3 at this brightness level is something that can't be matched by any other flashlight on the market right now, modified or non modified, and I love it.

I think the demand for an ARC LS carrying a 3 watt luxeon and upped current would definitely be there if arc designed one to be used with or without AA batteries. Since posting a couple posts on different threads about how happy I am with this mod, I've got PM's from 3 different people alone today about how they want one, and want to know where to get one. The trouble is, with such excellent customer service, it someone were to abuse the light in such a was as to run it on 123 batteries and just let it sit for a half hour on the counter and get the thing excessively hot, it could create more problems then it's worth I guess. A light like this should be used with a bigger heatsink like the AA adaptor when left running like that.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I wanted the Luxeon III was it was a known quality. It is at least a Q and if the light is dimmable with an effecient emitter it requires less power to run. This has a drastic effect on run times.
If I pay $150 plus bucks for a flashlight (or anything high end) all the parts must be premium. Alas, in this case it is not. A S ranked Luxeon III is less effecient than a M,N or P ranked Luxeon? Interesting.
When the Luxeon III's came out, some people on this forum took a S rank and a T rank and compared them to Q and R ranked Luxeon regulars. A T rank with the K voltage is actually identicle to an R2H in output and effeciency. The S ranked Luxeon III matched the Q ranked Luxeon. Once the current goes past 350mA, it take more voltage to push it so the voltage goes up. The opposite is true so effeciency of Luxeon III's tends to be very high due to the bins.
Having a Luxeon III is the "this ain't a piece of crap" seal of approval. My boss will retire in three months and loves my BB500 R2H Fraen LP minimag. I told him a flashlight that is much better is on the horizon and will be basically as bright. The part I did not bank on was I would have to wait a revision.
Before everyone complains that M and N Luxeons are not crap...OK, they are great in a $35 light. For the forseeable future, if I want dim...I will use my left hand and reach in my pocket for the Arc AA. If I want blinding effeciency, I will use my right hand to pull the BB500 R2H Fraen LP off my belt.
Let me be the first to hail the new Arc4.1 with tailcap shroud, knurling on the head, convertable bezel down, bezel up clip and Luxeon III!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It obviously sounds like serveral folks have a very strong opinion concerning the Lux-I vs Lux-III as it relates to its use in the Arc4. With all due respect, nothing said here is going to change what the Arc4 is made of. Many will purchase the Arc4 for what it is. Many will not purchase the Arc4 for what it is not.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.