Lumapower M1 vs. Huntlight F103 vs. Other

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
I run my M1 on an 18650, and Low is indeed low, esp. as to the floodbeam.

I wonder if this has changed. I have one of the new "tactical" M1's and low, with 18650, is as bright as a Fenix L2P. I would guess around 30 lumens. It is definitely too bright to walk around the house at night with dark adjusted eyes. There's a noticeable difference between high and low, but I don't think the difference is as big as Chevrofreak's graphs indicate for the earlier models.

I have some beamshots I could post later today if that would be helpful.

riffraff

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

riffraff,

If you look through the original M1 thread (39 pp!): http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1659620&highlight=RCR123A+stage#post1659620

you'll see this mentioned a few times. Something about too much voltage frying the resistor in the 2-stage switch, IIRC. It may've been a problem just with RCR123As and not CR123s, though----not sure on that.
Right, that's just for rechargables, not CR123A primaries.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
riffraff,

Thanks for pointing that out about CR123As vs. RCR123As & the 2-stage switch. As my wife would happily tell you, sometimes my memory isn't what it used to be. :)

NutSAK,

That's interesting about 1st vs. 2nd version M1 Cree & the output on Low. I checked quickbeam's review again and it indeed concerns the original version (that I have). Did Ricky, or anyone, ever mention this difference when the newer model came out? The plot thickens....

Last edited:

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
I have a Huntlight FT01XSE and I love it.

For me High coming on first is great and bezel down clip is also a must for me.
I keep it in cargo or carpenters jean pockets.
The clip isnt the best but its is better than having the strike bezel wear out your pockets from rubbing at the bottom.
The modes are easy to thumb thru and it will always turn back on in high(after 1-2 sec off).
I wanted an M1 at first but the 2 stage switch is not very efficient and does not work well with all battery types.
The light comes with both style reflectors but I love the throw of the smooth unit so I never use the OP reflector.
I think it was about $90.00 including shipping from JSBurly.
Lighthound also carries it and they both have great customer service.

Tim

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Did Ricky, or anyone, ever mention this difference when the newer model came out? The plot thickens....

I've never seen mention of it. I was surprised, and admittedly a bit disappointed, when my tactical M1 arrived a couple of weeks ago and I realized how bright the low setting is. I wonder if they made this change so the two-stage switch could be safely used with RCR123's. That is purely speculation...

I have a Huntlight FT-01 (R bin Lux III) that I have modified with a two-stage switch that I find to be a much better all-around light than the M1. This is due to the factors mentioned: lower "low", bigger hotspot, bezel-down carry with the clip in leg pocket of cargo pants. The M1 is much brighter and has better build quality but the clip is useless, IMO. I have removed the clip from mine and use a lanyard hanging out of my pocket instead. The only drawback to the Huntlight is that it can't tail stand.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Ultrafire C2 is not bad for the price. It can run on 2 Cr123 batteries. Input voltage between 3.7-9V. It can use 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries. It probably won't last you 10 years but it is cheap enough that you can buy another if one breaks. Only one mode. Reverse clickie.

HAIII version, Normal Version(kaidomain)

Review.

Or you can wait till July for Surefire to release their Cree lights. Will probaby last 10 years but will also probably break your $105 budget.

Last edited:

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this sure is a lot to think about. Many thanks to all of you for putting up with my questions and providing some input and great links!!

I am absolutely no closer to making a desicion, but at least I'm informed :), and when (if) I finally do, it will be the right one. There is of course a chance that it will take me so long to choose that another light will come out with the M1's throw/quality/candle mode, F103's low settings/down clip/battery versatility. :laughing:

These light's low settings are twice as bright as my current xenon Streamlight, so I should be happy :) Any further thoughts would still be greatly appreciated of course!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Maybe some beamshots will help. The M1 is BRIGHT and WHITE. I doubt that the M1 is brighter than the Huntlight Cree on high though...

My pleasure offering the advice.... I had the same questions when I bought the M1, and wish I had more to go by. I like the tail stand ability and the simple two-stage switch and tactical switch options on the M1. I think if I were to make the choice again, I would still buy it over the Huntlight.

Huntlight FT-01 (R bin luxeon III) left, vs. Lumapower M1 on high, right. The FT-01 is very white, but the M1 is even better:

244853582.jpg

same pic, -3 fstops:

244853920.jpg

Fenix L2T (modded w/UV1K Luxeon III) on HIGH left, M1 ON LOW right:

244854288.jpg

same pic, -3 fstops:

244854511.jpg

Last edited:

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
EXCELLENT!! Wow, that's clear....
How (if at all) is the Luxeon different from the Cree in the Huntlight in terms of the output?? From those shots alone, I'd definitely go with the M1

I see it like this:
When you need throw, you NEED a very tight spot. When you need flood up close (which is rarely, strictly speaking, needed) the size of the hotspot is important, but if you have a ton of sidespill like in the photo, it will do just as well. If you need flood at a bit of a distance, that hotspot will grow...

Out of curiousity, about how far away were the lights?
Just what I was looking for :)

P.S.
Do you know what reflectors were in there?

Last edited:

sims2k

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
OK. Maybe some beamshots will help. The M1 is BRIGHT and WHITE. I doubt that the M1 is brighter than the Huntlight Cree on high though...

My pleasure offering the advice.... I had the same questions when I bought the M1, and wish I had more to go by. I like the tail stand ability and the simple two-stage switch and tactical switch options on the M1. I think if I were to make the choice again, I would still buy it over the Huntlight.

Huntlight FT-01 (R bin luxeon III) left, vs. Lumapower M1 on high, right. The FT-01 is very white, but the M1 is even better:

244853582.jpg

same pic, -3 fstops:

244853920.jpg

Fenix L2T (modded w/UV1K Luxeon III) on HIGH left, M1 ON LOW right:

244854288.jpg

same pic, -3 fstops:

244854511.jpg

Thanks for the beamshots. Just what I needed. Was gonna buy the Huntlight but guess I'll skip that one.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
sims2k said:
Thanks for the beamshots. Just what I needed. Was gonna buy the Huntlight but guess I'll skip that one.

I just want to make sure you realize that the Huntlight in the picture is a Luxeon III light, not a Cree like the M1. The Huntlight can be purchased with the Cree (FT01x), and is probably just as bright.

picrthis

Enlightened
CanDo said:
EXCELLENT!! Wow, that's clear....
How (if at all) is the Luxeon different from the Cree in the Huntlight in terms of the output?? From those shots alone, I'd definitely go with the M1

I see it like this:
When you need throw, you NEED a very tight spot. When you need flood up close (which is rarely, strictly speaking, needed) the size of the hotspot is important, but if you have a ton of sidespill like in the photo, it will do just as well. If you need flood at a bit of a distance, that hotspot will grow...

Out of curiousity, about how far away were the lights?
Just what I was looking for :)

P.S.
Do you know what reflectors were in there?

Get the Huntlight with the CREE LED, it's much better than what was shown in those photos, is brighter and runs longer. I made the sames comparisions you are making now and the Huntlight w/Cree is the way to go; it carries much better than the M1 and is a great light, I have no regrets. Everyone at work that see's this light in action wants to know where I got it.:popcorn:

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Good reasoning.
If you don't mind me asking: what sorts of times have you needed throw, and how did it please you?

My Streamlight can light up 1/3 of a 400 person stadium-seating auditoreum - walking the dog with a bit of fog, trying to determine between a dog and coyote down the street, however, it is completely useless...

P.S./edit:
Can the clip on the Huntlight be removed? It looks like it would be tricky with those funky screws... I'd almost definitely use it, but I like options.

Latest posts