Lumapower MVP Review - 3X Cree - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, and more!

Jamesmark72

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived today. I originally bought this for possibly replacing what the local Sheriff department currently uses. I agree that the build quality is excellent. This thing really goes together SMOOTH and solid. No burrs on mine. However, after doing several real world tests of trying to blind people, it's just not going to work. I can easily hold my eyes open to it even at 5 feet. It's not pleasant, but doable. My DBS seems alot brighter (when hit in the face). The strobe is the best i've seen so far. This would be ideal for a foot chase or when needing to check those dark areas. I will definately keep this just because i think also that the head is just an absolute work of art-real clean work.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the Sheriff's department using currently?

Have you tried trying to look into the MVP with night adjusted eyes?
From past experience I can tell you that you can look into a 3000+ lumen light - not pleasent but doable.
The MVP is a lot brighter than a DBS but the DBS's single large reflector will collect the light into a tighter beam so it can make a single brighter spot but's it's light output is less than 1/2 that of the MVP.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find the Ultra Stinger more blinding?
I'm wondering if the single point of light of an MVP P7 might be better suited to your needs...

Jamesmark72

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen one in person, but im assuming the throw wont compare, being a P7. That was a concern. I've have alot of major players that i own and have sold over the years, but i really love this light. Just such a pleasant beam. I guess you have to be addicted though to appreciate that.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular MVP has slightly more throw, the MVP P7 puts more light downrange at a shorter distance but over a wider area. At short range though it will probably be more dazzling because of the larger reflector.

Northwave

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm Danny. I am slowly but surley becoming addicted to flashlights. :)

Anyway, I was wondering, will this beauty (MVP 3xCree/Turboforce P7) run on 1x18650 as depicted in photo #7 in the first post?

Kato

Enlightened
Anyway, I was wondering, will this beauty (MVP 3xCree/Turboforce P7) run on 1x18650 as depicted in photo #7 in the first post?

That configuration is meant for the use of (2) RCR123A cells to meet the minimum voltage.

The MVP is a great light. I've been using it for several months now. :twothumbs

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Input voltage from 6.5-10V allows users to use a variety of battery types/combinations:
2 x Li-Ion (16340, RCR123A, 17650, 17670 or 18650; 18650 recommended for longest runtime and highest output)
(4 x CR123A can be used on low and medium output modes for emergencies and backup and for up to 4 minutes on high)

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
1. Anybody else have the Conqueror MC3?

2. I'm looking for a light with a floody beam good for at least 100m but throws further than any P7 or MC-E light available today, including the DBS MC-E. The light should not be bigger than the DBS MC-E (its bezel not bigger than 45mm/1.77 inches and not longer than 170mm/7.00 inches).

3. Does the Conqueror MC3 reach at least 100m?

4. Is the MX Power 3*Cree Q5-WB 3-Mode 400-Lumen LED Flashlight (DX SKU 16144) a clone of the Conqueror MC3?

5. Many thanks in advance. :)

Northwave

Newly Enlightened
I received my MVP today from The Photon Shop UK, what an amazing light - I can highly recommend it to everyone who needs a powerful flashlight. Walking our dog in the woods in complete darkness is so much fun w/ this thing in my hand :)

Many thanks to Rob @ Thephotonshop for the excellent service also.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanna see more inside? Follow this link:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224920

IMG_2988.jpg

The Lumapower MVP is such an amazing light and so well made I am surprised we don't hear more about it on CPF.

Are we all focussed on single LED lights?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah I wonder at that sometimes. The MVP is certainly playing at the same level of output and the construction is beautiful. Still a favorite of mine.

Yeh - MVP 3 x Cree has the same nominal output ~700 lumens as the MC-E quad die and similar - but such better throw and really 'blinding' central spot.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I did include it in my beamshoot with some of the never lights, it is a very solid light, but the output is a bit behind the new generation.
I agree it is a very study and well-made light, in both the 3XCree and TurboForce P7 configurations. But as HKJ pointed out, they are not quite as bright as some of the newer lights coming out. To wit:

M2XC4-Summary.gif

However, it is possible that newer shipping MVP lights are higher output than the first batch I tested here. This review is 9 months old, after all. ;)