• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSol27 ... 2 levels and 2 beams ... preview

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The LunaSol27 Prototype just arrived ... and of course I can't wait to brag about it and show off :D

It is this light ...

LunaSol27andMule2.jpg

... which is a PD-Pack sporting the LunaSol27 head, making it a ...

McLuxIII-LunaSol27-PD

Or in short ... LunaSol27. It is compatible with the McLuxIII format as usual. What makes this light special is the view down the throat of the beast:

LunaSol27andMule.jpg

It is the pre-production version of this prototype we all know and want:

mcLunaSol27-proto.jpg

This light looks rather innocent, but it is a radical departure from what we all know with the McLuxIII Series and 2-stage lights in general. Not only does it have a low and high mode, it also offers a flood and spot beam, which is new.
This altering beam shape is perfectly suited for the respective tasks ... meaning a gentle flood for close-up and a narrow and bright spot when more power is needed in order to look further. Think SF A2 and you get the idea of the benefits.

Technically, the LunaSol works just like any other McLuxIII light ... by turning the head you chose low or high mode in constant-on while the PD- or C-Pack determines the other part of the UI. Those unfamiliar with the concept can look it up in the FAQ.
This time though ... the low mode lights up 6 x Nichia 3mm flood LEDs driven in Series at 20mA by a so-called BadBoyMother (BBM) board developped by Wayne (dat2zip). Once high mode engages the main LED lights up in addition to the 6 Nichias. In this case it is a Cree-XR-E LED driven by a GD425 driver who rides on the BBM driver.
Somewhere in my precious new little gem ... there is a stack of drivers looking somewhat like this:

ProtoConverterStack.jpg

The beauty of this arrangement is that the BBM board can accept any "classical" driver ... making it incredibly versatile. Bazillions of LunaSol combos come to mind ... one is the well-known teaser image by Don:

mcLunaSol27-x2-Proto-Banana.jpg

With the LunaSol set-up, the 6 Nichias remain lit when the high beam engages:

LunaSol27frontlow.jpg

LunaSol27fronthigh.jpg

Now ... let's talk business. Here are some beamshots and some comparisons with relevant lights:

First ... the low-mode of the 6 Nichia 3mm LEDs. It is a bright and even as well as broad flood gently fading away at the edges in some nice yellow colors.

LunaSol27low.jpg

When the high mode kicks in ... we get a 17XR beam profile with a narrow and bright flood and generous but not piercing spot. And this is still surrounded by the spill of the 6 Nichias.

LunaSol27high.jpg

The low mode has nothing to do with the traditional low mode we know from the PD ...

LunaSol27lowvsPD-Slow.jpg

... as it obiterates the low mode of the PD. This is not a minimalist low-light creeping-around-the-house mode ... this is a big and generous flood for serious tasks.
Which is a significant difference in style and application compared to the usual lights Don made ... so one will have to think before he buys. This is a different beast.

Here's a comparo of the 6 Nichias with a Mule running at 300mA (Mizer version for wheenies :D )

LunaSol27lowvsMule300mA.jpg

A beam comparison with a PD-S at 525mA:

LunaSol27vsPD-S.jpg

The spill of the PD-S is larger and dimmer and the hotspot brighter. The LunaSol27 is a bit similar to the XR19 head with the additional spill of the Nichias.

As the interesting aspect of this light is the low mode I opted for indoor real-life shots in our living room. First ... here's the flood of the Mule compared to the LunaSol27 low mode:

LunaSol27roomlow.jpg

MuleRoom300mA.jpg

And another little shootout:

roomLunaSol27low.jpg

room2Mule300mA.jpg

room2LunaSolhigh.jpg

room2PD-S525mA.jpg

Notice the wider spill of the LunaSol27 due to the Nichias still lit. Of course the spot of the PD-S is brighter and the spill larger but dimmer.

In the end ... this is new ground for the McLuxIII Series. A light that offers 2 levels of brightness AND 2 different beam shapes, all LED. In titanium.

There are a few things you must know before purchasing though:
- the outer rims of the low beam do show tint
- the low beam is quite bright
- the LunaSol head, just like the S27 head, is a bit on the big side for pocket carry

I have no clue about the final version that will be sold in the near future... but if it is as good as this one, the wave will not even reach the shore before being sold out. It is that cool.
But then again I am biased ... as I wanted such a light for a long time now. And today I got it ... and Don raised the bar further. :bow:

Here is the very first presecessor of the LunaSol lights ... a light that is a unique prototype following a very similar principle. IMHO it took Don way too long to bring this concept in our hands, but it finally happens :party: :thumbsup:

Mc15.jpg

And here's one last pic of my LunaSol ... my PRECCCIOUSSSSSSS ... :devil:

LunaSol27andMulePaisley.jpg

bernie

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Bernie-

First off, I have to say it... YOU LUCKY S.O.B.!!! :nana:

What a great overview of an AWESOME light. This light, IMHO, will be the ultimate, hands down, EDC light. Wow.

What awesome beam profiles! GREAT comparison shots too - gives an idea of what this light can do, which is just about everything I ever need a light to do! :) It's so beautiful.. :mecry:

Although, no runtime/lux plots?!? :poke:

Wow. Just... wow. :drool: Don - you've really gone and done it this time. :bow:

Thanks for the SWEET review! :twothumbs

john

ps - :rock: :popcorn: :faint:

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved my first McGizmo today, a Ti PD-S Mizer, and as I vowed this would be my perfect, and therefore last flashlight please permit me to ask a purely hyperthetical question..........,

When and how much, hey, huh......?:poke:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Paisley pattern in the last pic by the way - looks the perfect stuff for modding the inside of your Mule! :nana:

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:oo: Looks wonderful but at this moment I am jealous as can be! :p

Is the reflector all one piece in the version of this light you have?

BTW, you should send the light to me since you stated it has Michia 3mm LED`s. Look right above the pictures of the drivers. :grin2: Are they the 310CS?

Ken

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx guys ... and yes, I can't stop grinning like a madman :D

No runtime-plots because I lack the equipment, unfortunately. Lux measurements I could take ... but what would they say anyway?
If you want I'll do some lux measurements, just say so. :)

Hodsta ... when and how much ... I dunno, sorry. The Master will have to answer that one. IIRC he said something about re-designing the head so that yours will be fugly while mine is beautiful :nana:

Paisley ... yepp, I like Paisley. :)
But not so much that I'd get rid of the techno-look of my Mule.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
kenster ... yes, the reflector is in one single piece. It looks magic. I have no idea about the exact name of the LEDs though. Don will have to tell.

TB ... thanx. :)

With the versatility of the driver I see a bright future for this light in a 2x123 version ... :eek:oo:

bernie

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
Great review Bernie! Not that I didn't enjoy the great indoor beam shots, but some outdoor shots would be even nicer!:poke: Awesome work Don!!! Another "Must Have" light, so much for that extra bit of dough I had stashed away...:broke::D

Fringe

Enlightened
This is sweet to be sure.
I love the fact that is shares similar beam characteristics as the Xr-19, my favorite profile yet.
One please.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Bernie,
Glad to see the Mule and LunaSol27 made it across a couple ponds to you!

Your light has the Nichia 310CS's driven at 20 mA and I think that is too high. I think 10 to 15 mA is a better solution in general. The rub is that the BBM draws about 5mA itself so as you drop the drive level of the LED's, your overall efficiency in % drops. So be it. :shrug:

IMHO, the mule does what it does better than the LunaSol27. Other lights do what they do better than the LunaSol27 would. However the LunaSol27 does what it does quite well, again IMHO. I still use a mule and I still grab a S27 based light when I want what they have to offer. In terms of a general purpose or EDC light though, the LunaSol 27 proto has been on my waist since I built it. I have the option of reasonable and non blinding flood or reasonable throw with good viewing angle from one light and that's what I want from my EDC. Since I carry this light clipped to my waist band or belt, the larger head size has not been an issue. I realize that this light is too large for many to consider it a viable EDC. That's unfortunate but it is what it is. Perhaps a light with similar beams and dynamic range can be hosted in a smaller package when that package is designed and supported by the needed LED's and optics.

For what it's worth, The LunaSol 27 sets a new benchmark and standard for me and my endeavors. I still plan to build more Mules and I have some S-27's in the works. I don't see a conflict here. I may do some more PD-S lights as well but don't have anything brewing at present.

The LunaSol 27 is still a good ways off as the head has not been designed and there is potentially a bunk lead time involved in getting some BBM converters made. Although I can shorten the head a bit from these protos, I may decide to leave the profile the same with no external difference apparent. :thinking: :shrug:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hodsta ... when and how much ... I dunno, sorry. The Master will have to answer that one. IIRC he said something about re-designing the head so that yours will be fugly while mine is beautiful :nana:

bernie

Bernie sorry, in my haste to mock the Paisley I ommited to thank you for your preview - thanks!, for this and all your other sterling reviews.:clap:

BTW I like fugly - it makes me look good, but if Don only redesigns the head it would surely be more of a BOBFOC?:thinking:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oops! I forgot to add that I think the LunaSol 27 front end, being the reflector and LED's, would lend itself to other packaging and might be a fun component for modders and others to exploit. I would like a headlamp for instance based on this LED and optic set. Wayne and I have discussed a number of possible applications. With different drivers and packaging, one could have the Nichias and Cree on completely seperate circuits and switches and even have variable current drive levels to each LED channel.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
IS that a LUNASOL27 in your pocket ...or are you just glad to see me?