M1X - warm tint, comparison shot Fenix TA30 and FINALLY a pic that shows the warmth

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the pill of the M1X seems to be quite easy to access... two questions:

- where can I buy MC-E emitters/stars with a warm tint?
- how difficult is it to swap the emitter? Is it just a little soldering, or is it tricky for a noob to position/align/attach the star and make sure the heat is correctly dissipated?

I treid searching custom B/S/T here and the marketplace and could not find a source, however on ebay(search: MC-E warm) there's a seller selling a J 6D MC-E emitter for a reasonable price, the tint of that emitter is quoted as 2600K-3700K. That's the same tint as any incand(3300K).

As for swapping emitters... I know absolutely ZILCH since I do not have the M1X yet.

However from this thread, it looks straightforward.

Arnulf

Enlightened
My M1X throws a white beam of light....if you want different color beam....maybe Jetbeam makes colored lenses. :)

ConG

Newly Enlightened
I treid searching custom B/S/T here and the marketplace and could not find a source, however on ebay(search: MC-E warm) there's a seller selling a J 6D MC-E emitter for a reasonable price, the tint of that emitter is quoted as 2600K-3700K. That's the same tint as any incand(3300K).

As for swapping emitters... I know absolutely ZILCH since I do not have the M1X yet.

However from this thread, it looks straightforward.

Thanks for researching that.
Swapping the whole star seems easy, but the J 6D-emitter on ebay is chip-only.
Soldering the heatsink-base and the pins might be a bit more difficult, at least I haven't done it before. I fear it requires more than just a soldering iron.

Any news about a group buy?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
has anyone modded his/her M1X with a different tinted emitter? I am planning to do it myself as I have a M1X V4 with a cool tint and I much prefer the neutral tint of my Fenix TK-20.
I would really appreciate some pictures etc. of the mod.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually a neutral white tint like a Cree Q4 5A/B is what I'm looking for, The MC-E warm tint is too incand yellow to differentiate this light from my Surefire M4 and M6 and justify the $155 outlay.

Do those online shops sell neutral white MC-Es that can "plug and play" into the pill of the M1X V4?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell from my M1X the MC-E dies are mounted in an 2s2p-configuration on a star-pcb. It would probably be best to buy a neutral white MC-E on a star where all the Dies are individually adressable.

IIRC the brightest neutral-white MC-E uses the K-bin (the most efficient being the M-Bin). These seem to be available at Cutter Electronics here (It's the last one in the list on the middle of the page). Luckily for you they are based in Australia so you don't need to order from Germany etc. :thumbsup:

You would need to connect the Dies on the Led like they are on the one in your M1X. Then you would just need to unsoulder the original one and put the new one in.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cutter Electronics?! That's like 15mins drive from my place!:thumbsup: Still I need to get one of the pro CPF modders like Norm to swap the emitter for me. Looks like I'll get the standard M1X V4 and then get a Neutral White MC-E.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, my dealer got back to me, there are no issues telling people about him, his ID here is CEJ :D