M31 Body/Battery Options

md17

Newly Enlightened
So, maybe it was luck or it is just this particular drop in, but the m31w I have is the most visually pleasing light I own. I currently have it in a 9p. Are there any compact body/battery options I might not be thinking of to get this into a 3p size or one of the mdc bodies? Preferably rechargeable and preferably full output.

Also, any idea what the output might be on 1AA? Thanks for the help.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, maybe it was luck or it is just this particular drop in, but the m31w I have is the most visually pleasing light I own. I currently have it in a 9p. Are there any compact body/battery options I might not be thinking of to get this into a 3p size or one of the mdc bodies? Preferably rechargeable and preferably full output.

Also, any idea what the output might be on 1AA? Thanks for the help.
Put the drop in inside a VME from Malkoff website then get a CR123 MDC body and run a single CR123

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
@fivemega makes (made?) Surefire-compatible 3P-series bodies and also Malkoff MD1 bodies. There's a couple sales threads of his, not sure what is still up for sale. Also keep an eye out for them on the secondary market.

Remember Malkoff M31 series will be damaged by a Li-ion, so only CR123 at 3V or less.

Last edited:

md17

Newly Enlightened
M31 works great with a variety of different outputs with 1.2v and 1.5v AA's and Olight's weird 2.4v 14500 battery.
This is what I was looking for. I think I am going to do the 1aa body with a VME head. That way I can run full power with the olight battery and lower power with 1-aa. Thank you.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I concur on my M31W - the first production run of these modules were at 5000K; a very rare color temperature for Malkoff dropins.
And to this day I still marvel at the perfect color of mine when I fire it up. :)

Most of its runtime has been with 2xAA NiMH (Eneloops / LSD cells); I can't say anything about higher voltages but it is certainly a good pairing with those.
20240129_143956.jpg

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[....] Also, any idea what the output might be on 1AA? Thanks for the help.
I seem to recall 200lm on 1xAA NiMH; the full rated 240lm on 2xAA (Even alkalines, for 15-20 mins).
Am sure that later modules were higher - I'm only speaking of the first production run here.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My newer production M31W was an estimate of around 100 lumens with 1 Eneloop AA

Wish he would put the SST20 3000k into an MDC head but he said he has no plans of doing that. Bummer

Last edited:

md17

Newly Enlightened
I concur on my M31W - the first production run of these modules were at 5000K; a very rare color temperature for Malkoff dropins.
And to this day I still marvel at the perfect color of mine when I fire it up. :)

Most of its runtime has been with 2xAA NiMH (Eneloops / LSD cells); I can't say anything about higher voltages but it is certainly a good pairing with those.View attachment 59796
This one was purchased 1/2023. An m61w I bought a few months later looks much different tint wise despite being the same led and color.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I keep one of my M31's in an elzetta bravo. I use a 2 -123 to 1-123 adapter and an a 2-123 to AA adapter to switch from 3 volts to 1.5. One solid little light.

md17

Newly Enlightened
I keep one of my M31's in an elzetta bravo. I use a 2 -123 to 1-123 adapter and an a 2-123 to AA adapter to switch from 3 volts to 1.5. One solid little light.
Would buying that set up to run on AA still be something available to buy? I know nothing about elzetta. So many different parts and options.

md17

Newly Enlightened
If you want a 3P size light there are replacement items available in Copper, Brass, Titanium and aluminium.

3P flashlights and parts

You could run an M31 in a 3P on a KeepPower 3v RCR123.

KeepPower RCR123 3V
I have a 3p setup. I was always told that even a 3.0v rcr would have a higher voltage coming off the charger and potentially damage the drop in. Have you used this combo without issue ?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have a more recent cool version in a VME on a 1aa body and it has decent output for around the house and in normal back yard. I also have an older warm version in a 2D Maglite with the Malkoff adapter on two D NIMH. I leave it sitting by my back door and grab it for everyday things fairly often.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15

md17

Newly Enlightened
I have a more recent cool version in a VME on a 1aa body and it has decent output for around the house and in normal back yard. I also have an older warm version in a 2D Maglite with the Malkoff adapter on two D NIMH. I leave it sitting by my back door and grab it for everyday things fairly often.
What kind of run time do you get on 1 aa?