Mac's Tri EDC Light Engines'.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello-

Like your above readers, I too have a Mac's SST50.
Can you please let me know if this tri-edc emitter will fit my SST50?

Thanks,
Rush

extremescramble

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.
To avoid sending out multiple Emails I hope this information regarding the Tri EDC light engines and their suitability for the SST-50 / XML EDC is helpful:-

"I have tried to respond to all individual questions but having looked into this further and with some great help from forum members I can confirm that due to the position of the threading in the host, the Tri EDC light engines I have machined are not compatible with the SST-50 / XML EDC
The pill would need a major design rework to allow for the differences in the head of the SST-50 / XML EDC but unfortunately time constraints make this difficult at the present time particularly for one off builds as this is primarily a hobby for me.
If there was enough firm interest I may be able to invest the time to design and machine a suitable pill to allow for this conversion."

Keep me posted here as to interest in this and sorry I don't have an immediate solution.
Thanks for your support.
Philip.

Last edited:

stewdogg

Enlightened
Yes... Thank You!
As you know I'm very interested in this conversion.

Does anyone know if the threads are the same for the SST-50 EDC and the XML EDC?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone.
To avoid sending out multiple Emails I hope this information regarding the Tri EDC light engines and their suitability for the SST-50 EDC is helpful:-

"I have tried to respond to all individual questions but having looked into this further and with some great help from forum members I can confirm that due to the threading in the host the Tri EDC light engines I have machined are not compatible with the SST-50 EDC
The pill would need a major design rework to allow for the head threading of the SST-50 EDC but unfortunately time constraints make this difficult at the present time particularly for one off builds as this is primarily a hobby for me.
If there was enough firm interest I may be able to invest the time to design and machine a suitable pill to allow for this conversion."

Keep me posted here as to interest in this and sorry I don't have an immediate solution.
Thanks for your support.
Philip.

I am in for this conversion. One triple light engine for an SST-50 body. Ready to proceed.

extremescramble

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to Stewdogg it appears the pill I have sent over to him is compatible in terms of the threads themselves for the XML EDC. As I stated previously the difference is not the threads specifically but rather the "position" of the threads in the head. Now I have the measurements I will machine a triple conversion for these lights this weekend.
Thanks again Stewdogg for taking the time to get these measurements to me.
Philip.

Last edited:

extremescramble

Newly Enlightened
A quick note to clarify:-
I will be sending out a revised prototype to Stewdogg very shortly and depending on his feedback regarding fit I will be in a position to proceed with sales.
Obviously I want everyone to be delighted with these engines and to this end on discussion with Stewdogg it was decided to modify the size of the threads for a perfect fit. Obviously these changes from my standard light engines take time particularly when I only have my weekends to machine these projects.
I appreciate your patience guys but I would sooner exceed expectations and am sure the end result with be worth this very small delay.
Thanks again.
Philip.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philip

Thanks for this update.
I look forward to hearing your progress.
You can count me as an interested party!

stewdogg

Enlightened
I'm very excited to get the prototype in my hands (don't confuse excitement for impatience) and take it for a spin!
I'll let everyone know when I get it. I will post comparison pics with my XML EDC guts and my initial impressions. I will follow that up with a review after using for a bit.
The prototype will be a tri nichia 219... if it all works out I will have to buy another triple with a little more output/wow factor:) Plus I figure the body (Ti) of my light should last for ever, it's the light engine I worry about. This should solve that issue perfectly!
Thanks again Extremescramble for putting the time and work into this for the Mac's lovers out there.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to hearing and seeing this one. I'm interested in one or two of them. Nichia 219B would be nice!

extremescramble

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
It appears that after in excess of a two week wait the light engine I have sent to Jesse free of charge for testing still hasn't arrived !
I am currently away now until September but on my return I will machine Jesse a replacement to resolve his problem.
However guys, this is the third engine I have lost to international postage in 2014 alone and I am sure you will appreciate this is a unsustainable situation for what is a hobby for me. On this basis it is with some regret that I have to announce I have sold my last remaining Tri EDC light engine and have no plans to produce anymore - sadly the numbers do not add up and I am finding myself consistently out of pocket.
Your kind support has always been greatly appreciated.
Regards
Philip.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philip, I'm now (and have always been) willing to send paypal up front to fund another light engine. - Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited: