Maglite 2C - ML100 vs aftermarket dropin

eocoolj

Newly Enlightened
Hello all:

I bought someone a maglite 2C incandescent for Christmas; chose the C cell because it is for a girl and I thought the size would be better for her hands than a D cell. After handling it myself, I'm realizing that its the perfect size for me too! Of course, unlike her, I am not satisfied with the simple old incandescent bulb. I have been looking at the Maglite ML100 2C as a possible flashlight for myself. Its got all kinds of settings on it, and I'm wondering do I really need a strobe and SOS setting, and if having all these settings affects reliability at all? Also, although I know LEDs are reliable, I'm assuming there is no way of swapping bulbs should it fail for some reason?

A few years ago maglite used to sell their own brand of LED drop-ins for their lights, which for whatever reason they stopped selling. I was looking at the Malkoff devices 2C drop-in, which look nice and I will end up paying about $55 (including a 2C body), which is about the same as the ML100. I'm not looking for crazy blinding light though, is there a cheaper, lower output drop-in that is still very reliable? I'd like to retain the ability to use the incandescent spare bulb if at all possible.

Or should I just buy the ML100 and be done with it?

Thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLUX TLE-6EXB should fit the bill. A direct bulb replacement for less than $15.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
TLE-6EXB is for 2 to 3 C/D cell Maglites. TLE-6EX is for 4 to 6 cells. Both do around 100 OTF lumens.

They also sell TLE-1S that's compatible with 2 to 6 cell Maglites. It has lower output, at around 30 OTF lumens, but with longer runtime.

If output is not what you desire and you want the longest possible runtime, you can also take a look at Nite Ize 10mm LED upgrade bulb. It's not bright, but the sucker runs for damned near forever.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old style XPG Malkoff's are also on sale fo $39, a good combo of power and run time. 240 otf lumen fo 2 c cell, 260 for the 3-6 cell version, keeps the adjustable beam, a nice white at that as well.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got fusion too, but i would not recommend it for 2c. it is dim with 2 cells d or c. works, but it doesn't have enough juice to run full power. get malkoff, or terralux

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a first-hand look at the ML100. But if it's anything like the D cell LED lights, thermal management is a weak point (light output drops after a while to keep the LED from cooking with the D lights). Also, the ML100 is only rated at 137 lumens vs 240 for the Malkoff drop-in on a 2C light. Personally, I would prefer to go with the Malkoff drop-in rather than the ML100. The heat sinking is probably worlds better. And you get ALOT more light. It does cost a little more. But I personally think it's worth it.

Another possibility would be to go with a 3C light. Although somewhat longer than the 2C, it's actually less than an inch longer than the 2D. Yet it still has that REALLY nice, ergonomic feel of a C cell Maglite. Why go 3C? Because when you step up from 2C to 3C, you can now go with Malkoff's XM-L drop in for 700 lumens! Runtime won't be the best with this setup (maybe 1.5-2 hours with NiMH C cells). But it would be one HELL of a light! The 4C light will also work with this drop-in, but with greater weight and no increase in either brightness or runtime. So the 3C is a better idea.

candor

Newly Enlightened
alpg88 said:
i got fusion too, but i would not recommend it for 2c. it is dim with 2 cells d or c. works, but it doesn't have enough juice to run full power. get malkoff, or terralux

Have you tried using three CR123s with the fusion in the 2c? Works great in mine. I made a sleeve with PEX tubing—the batteries fit perfectly. Around the PEX is two o-rings so it all rests snugly in the tube.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried using three CR123s with the fusion in the 2c? Works great in mine. I made a sleeve with PEX tubing—the batteries fit perfectly. Around the PEX is two o-rings so it all rests snugly in the tube.

i have, it doesn't last long. it also works of 1 18650 but dimmer, about as bright as with 2c\d cells

CaptainRogersUK

Newly Enlightened
I've never had a first-hand look at the ML100. But if it's anything like the D cell LED lights, thermal management is a weak point (light output drops after a while to keep the LED from cooking with the D lights). Also, the ML100 is only rated at 137 lumens vs 240 for the Malkoff drop-in on a 2C light. Personally, I would prefer to go with the Malkoff drop-in rather than the ML100. The heat sinking is probably worlds better. And you get ALOT more light. It does cost a little more. But I personally think it's worth it.

Another possibility would be to go with a 3C light. Although somewhat longer than the 2C, it's actually less than an inch longer than the 2D. Yet it still has that REALLY nice, ergonomic feel of a C cell Maglite. Why go 3C? Because when you step up from 2C to 3C, you can now go with Malkoff's XM-L drop in for 700 lumens! Runtime won't be the best with this setup (maybe 1.5-2 hours with NiMH C cells). But it would be one HELL of a light! The 4C light will also work with this drop-in, but with greater weight and no increase in either brightness or runtime. So the 3C is a better idea.

I have a 3c mag lite spare and just upgraded with -

but would like the extra lumens and power and the short run time doesn't matter that much as I keep 3 x spare C's with me on charge....

where would I get - "Malkoff's XM-L drop in" to use on the 3C mag lite.

And what would the throw on the beam eqate to approx on the Malkoff.... just the site I am on is about 800m so this sounds like a good option for me, since hopefully it may get me to each end of site when I stand in the middle in bad weather, what do you lot think....

kind regards

LJ

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3c mag lite spare and just upgraded with -

but would like the extra lumens and power and the short run time doesn't matter that much as I keep 3 x spare C's with me on charge....

where would I get - "Malkoff's XM-L drop in" to use on the 3C mag lite.

And what would the throw on the beam eqate to approx on the Malkoff.... just the site I am on is about 800m so this sounds like a good option for me, since hopefully it may get me to each end of site when I stand in the middle in bad weather, what do you lot think....

kind regards

LJ

You can get the Malkoff 3-4C Mag lite XML drop-in on the Malkoff Devices website, but they are currently sold out. They will come back into stock fairly soon. You just have to watch the site, or click on the "Notify me when it comes back in stock" list.
The spec is 1200 feet distance for illumination. Bad weather reduces the distance, but it depends on what the weather is, as to how much the beam is affected.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, from my experience, a Malkoff in a Mag makes for a REALLY throwy light. If you are looking for something floodier, an orange peel reflector is a GREAT idea.