Maglite 6D vs Fenix?? - also, Dereelight vs Tiablo?

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Re: Maglite 6D vs Fenix??

The top LED lights today are brighter than the MAG 6D. My Novatac 120T and Surefire U2, give out noticably more light than my MAG 6D...

Hardly just "the top" LEDs, at least in price. A $60 Jetbeam or Liteflux will put out more lumens than a 6D Mag or your U2.

However the still can't touch the Maglite in throw. The Mag kills it!
The Mag zoom lets the beam be focussed tighter. You can get LED with a zoom, or fixed tight focus though - you're simply not comparing like with like. Some LEDs are phenomenal throwers, at least in the same ballpark as a Mag. But then the guy didn't ask about throw anyway - he might be more concerned with spill.

the Mag6D - they're also good for color rendition of outdoor foliages, since an LED would only make things look flat. That's the inherent 'flaw' of LEDS.
No, it isn't. It's a flaw in those LEDS which lack red tones or have other flaws. The Cree seems weak in this area and the Rebel better. I've been astonished how good the P4 is in Liteflux while walking through an autumn forest at night; I know the P4 is supposed to based on the Cree, so I'm quite surprised by this. Perhaps I'm just impressed because my last LED was from the same generation of technology as your U2, and things have got *much* better since?

Other comment: a stock Mag will have distracting dark rings in the beam pattern. A little money spent on a new reflector will help.

The simple answer to the OP is: a Fenix using 2 x Cr123 - or probably even 2 x AA - is at least as bright as a 6D Mag. A Jetbeam or Lifeflux using a single 14500 (an AA sized lithium, which these lights can use as well as standard AA's) is about that bright also.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite 6D vs Fenix?? - also, Dereelight vs Tiablo

Just to clarify, I'm asking about total light, but throw is appreciated also. Mainly I'm looking for a comparison to something I can see, and a 6D is the brightest thing around now... soon to improve :naughty:

Zenster

Enlightened

Just to clarify, I'm asking about total light, but throw is appreciated also. Mainly I'm looking for a comparison to something I can see, and a 6D is the brightest thing around now... soon to improve :naughty:

Go back to those photos posted above and note how bright the dock is lit by the spill of the DBS compared to how the dock is lit up by the spill of the 6Dmag.

If you're looking for a comparison, there it is; "no comparison". :naughty:

There's also lots of talk about the color of Q5's making things look "flat" at night, but I don't personally see that. Yes, the color is different from a typical incan, but the more I use my Q5 lights (at the moment, a Fenix L2D, a Tiablo A9s, and soon a DBS I have on order), the more I've gotten to like how they light things up, and the less I like the almost sickly yellow look of some of the other lights (compared to the Q5's).
From now on, I'll take the brightest, whitest Q5 WC I can get and not look back, and I'm already looking forward to a Q6 whenever that may be. :thumbsup:

IcantC

Enlightened

What if a Mag 4D or 6D with Malkoff dropin was added to the comparison?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scroll up, I added in a beam shot of my Malkoff. There is no difference with the Malkoff if it's in a 4D, or 6D, other than run time. Once you have enough voltage to get the drop-in running at it's peak output (1100mA I believe) it won't get brighter with more cells. I may pick up one of his newer 1100mA drop-ins, I have the 1A version, and put it in a 3D Mag with 4C batteries.

I'm already looking forward to a Q6 whenever that may be. :thumbsup:

After Q5, it's R2, R3, R4, R5.

R2's are out in limited supply, I ordered one a week or two ago, still waiting on it to come in from Australia. :) I'm going to try and get it into a DBS pill. :)

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the beamshots, WadeF, and input, all. :grin2:

After Q5, it's R2, R3, R4, R5.

R2's are out in limited supply, I ordered one a week or two ago, still waiting on it to come in from Australia. :) I'm going to try and get it into a DBS pill. :)

:confused:
At the CREE website the R bins are red LEDs, and nothing higher than R4s are listed...

Bushman5

Enlightened

NOOOOO...dont put a MALKOFF led drop-in into a Mag 6D !!!!!!!! the Malkoff is only rated for 6Volts MAX (4C or 4D mag ), a 6D mag puts out 9 volts!!!!

:poof:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it me or the mag 6D and malkoff look similar, and deerelight kills both?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it me or the mag 6D and malkoff look similar, and deerelight kills both?

there's an earlier post in this thread about this somewhere...

basically is says that the malkoff dropin regulates at a 1 amp draw, so if its put in a 6D it will have the same brightness as in a 4D, but will run longer.