maglite hid conversion

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Hello to you all, i am new here but i have been looking through the posts about converting a 2d maglite to a wa hid set up. I want to do this but have two questions:
1. How does the ballast fit in with the existing switch mechanism, or do i have to modify that as well? I will be running it on 8 AAs.
2. Does anybody know where to get the hid bulbs and ballasts in the uk?
Many thanks,
Marc

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
So the ballast goes in front of the switch, where the original bulb holder was? thanks azecos.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Where would you buy a ballast to fit inside a Maglite? I thought ballast's are square and alot larger than the inside of a D sized mag. Also, is there a tutorial on this or a walkthrough?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would you buy a ballast to fit inside a Maglite? I thought ballast's are square and alot larger than the inside of a D sized mag. Also, is there a tutorial on this or a walkthrough?
use search button, there are dozens of threads on that here

Patriot

Flashaholic
So the ballast goes in front of the switch, where the original bulb holder was? thanks azecos.

Yes, it goes in front of the switch but the last I heard, the 14W units have a plastic housing that have to be turned down on a lathe in order to fit inside of a mag housing. If I remember correctly Mac of Mac's Customs was making these a while back but machining the plastic housing down was a bugger. I believe you can order the parts directly from WA.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Yes, it goes in front of the switch but the last I heard, the 14W units have a plastic housing that have to be turned down on a lathe in order to fit inside of a mag housing. If I remember correctly Mac of Mac's Customs was making these a while back but machining the plastic housing down was a bugger. I believe you can order the parts directly from WA.

Do you have any links?