Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
Re: Maglite LED Now Using Cree XP-E

I added the drop in from MAG to my old 3 and 4 cell lights (from 1982), and the work great as spare or extra lights. What LED do they use in their drop-in? It has a dome on top and seems well made.  I guess I added the drop-in two or three years ago?

I believe it's a Luxeon III. The MagLED drop in looks very similar to the Craftsman 2-6 cell LED drop in so I'm assuming the Craftsman also uses a Luxeon III.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Well I was going off of what I read here. There is a big difference between hitting a reflector at 600 meters than lighting something up with visible throw at that distance.

To be fair, it was dark objects against a light background, so that would help in skewing the results a bit, which I apparently didn't write in the post.

Usable throw in most cases, would be about 200-300 meters max, because not many things are bright tan like the house at the end of the street.

brianbucar

Newly Enlightened
i got one of these 2d mag's the other week when it was on sale at home depot for 16$.

has the cree xp-e led and throws well but i hate how the mag optics make the LED light all uneven.

im probably going to convert it to something else.

brian

brianbucar

Newly Enlightened
At Target today, 3 out of 4 3D LEDs had Cree's and 1 had a luxeon, so old ones are still in the system.

ive seen a few with the rebel packaging (less lumens and less claimed distance) with the cree LED. that was at walmart. same led and same number on the led board.

looks like they are using up the packaging for the rebel led run on the cree current production.

Brian

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
ive seen a few with the rebel packaging (less lumens and less claimed distance) with the cree LED. that was at walmart. same led and same number on the led board.

looks like they are using up the packaging for the rebel led run on the cree current production.

Brian

I have seen both the Cree & Rebel in new and old packaging. You need to view the LED to see what you are actually getting.

brianbucar

Newly Enlightened
I have seen both the Cree & Rebel in new and old packaging. You need to view the LED to see what you are actually getting.

interesting. yeah i take a look at the led itself before i buy.... and i usually only buy them when they are on sale for ~16$ :)

i memorized the images that i saw on http://flashlight-wiki.com/Cree to know what i am buying before i buy it. :)

Brian

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my 2D Mag Cree LED last night. I am impressed with the throw. I have a number of LED throwers and I would rate them like this in order.

Dereelight DBS(XR-E neutral) aspheric head, Streamlight Waypoint, Thrunite Catapult V3 neutral white, Maglite Cree LED, Dereelight DBS(XR-E neutral) SMO reflector. It is very close between the Thrunite and Mag. The Mag has quite a bit less lumens but great candlepower. All in all a great value.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
interesting. yeah i take a look at the led itself before i buy.... and i usually only buy them when they are on sale for ~16$ :)

i memorized the images that i saw on http://flashlight-wiki.com/Cree to know what i am buying before i buy it. :)

Brian

The best way to tell is view the number printed on the board next to the LED. It can be seen through the package. See the pics in post #5 in this thread for an example of how it looks.

Here is a list of what you may find in the stores:

090 is a Rebel 2D
091 is a Rebel 3D
483 is a Cree XP-E 2D
484 is a Cree XP-E 3D

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Has anybody run into any issues with the D-Cell Mags pulling a small current when off? I know the xl-200 does a little bit, but it also has multiple modes and mode memory.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not possible, there's no electrical path when the mechanical switch is off unless something is wrong with your light.

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Very envious of you guys in the US with the Maglite 2D so cheap. Where i live, they haven't even got the one with the new Cree led yet.

If anyone would be kind enough to buy a 2D with the new Cree XP-E led (from homedepo/wallmart/target/etc) and post it to me, please PM me.

Thanks.

neil1138

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased one of the Cree 2D LED Maglites and loving it. But I am wondering, is it possible to replace the 2 D cells with 6 AA Eneloops? I know the adapters are out there but can the LED handle it?

Thank you

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be clear, it is not important how many AA's are in the adapter, one, two or three, but that they are in parallel, not series for the multiple cell adapters. Even two series, which would be four total, is a huge overdrive from what the circuit is designed for. I don't know what will happen, but I won't try it on my light!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased one of the Cree 2D LED Maglites and loving it. But I am wondering, is it possible to replace the 2 D cells with 6 AA Eneloops? I know the adapters are out there but can the LED handle it?

Thank you

If they are in parallel (2 sets of [3AAs in parallel] ), then yes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You dredged up a thread started by Issac Hayes.
How can that be a bad thing? lol.

Nah, seriously some say necrobumps are uncool, but as a big fan of researching answers I'm always stoked to see a question asked in a previous thread.

What I mean by that would be something like I just discovered the 'OilFire BR549" from oh... about 2009. I love that BR549 but am curious if it can be Malkoff'd. Research shows 347 threads. 44 of them are asking "can the OilFire BR549 be upgraded?"... or "what LED does the OilFire BR549 use?"... and worse only the 14th one researched has any tangable information.
So at least from this guy I say "thank you for not starting a new thread" followed by "thank you for using the CPF's vast library."

Now with all that said I don't have an answer to your question except to say yes it is a CREE, but which one I don't know.
I just wanted to say "thank you."

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
bykfixer, your most welcome Sir!:thumbsup:

How many people you think would know where the BR549 reference came from? Priceless. We may be around the same age.