Maglite Mag-Tac - Not impressed...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems to me that everything I wrote already more than justified the price.
And silver bacon added even more.

And here's another one for ya.
The Mag-Tac out-throws the Fenix PD32UE by 3000 more lux.
Need any more?

Okay, then here's another one.
On Police Department purchase order desks across the nation, there are going to be 2 names of lights that will be decided upon.
Those 2 names will be SureFire, and Maglite.
The name "Fenix" isn't going to be on the lists.

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
You didn't mention Streamlight they are often looked at by public service departments too.

Seems to me that everything I wrote already more than justified the price.
And silver bacon added even more.

And here's another one for ya.
The Mag-Tac out-throws the Fenix PD32UE by 3000 more lux.
Need any more?

Okay, then here's another one.
On Police Department purchase order desks across the nation, there are going to be 2 names of lights that will be decided upon.
Those 2 names will be SureFire, and Maglite.
The name "Fenix" isn't going to be on the lists.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't mention Streamlight they are often looked at by public service departments too.

Good point.
Streamlight too.

I don't plan to buy this light myself, but it is targeted properly for the market they aimed it at.

Last edited:

Brian900

Newly Enlightened
I think this light is something you've got to experience first hand to understand its "frustrational" shortcomings. I let my friend handle it who has some Olights and has handles surefire, fenix, etc and he became equally frustrated with the light as well.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point.
Streamlight too.

I don't plan to buy this light myself, but it is targeted properly for the market they aimed it at.

You better add ITP to that list as my ITP was bought from a cancelled US&A Government covert ops order in that the light I received was sterile with no logos,it was advertised as such and I knew what I was buying.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to check this out In all honesty I'm put off by the power source-CR123A's which are guaranteed to run out in the middle of nowhere. I'm disappointed Mag are still using scratch prone plastic instead of multi coated glass like Fenix do.

Teej-you serve no purpose at all by bashing Maglites! If you don't like them you don't buy them!

argleargle

Enlightened
Teej-you serve no purpose at all by bashing Maglites! If you don't like them you don't buy them!

He's allowed to voice an opinion that stock Maglites have always needed modification to come up to our very high standards.

I've yet to check this out In all honesty I'm put off by the power source-CR123A's which are guaranteed to run out in the middle of nowhere. I'm disappointed Mag are still using scratch prone plastic instead of multi coated glass like Fenix do.

...then you bash CR123a which has excellent cold tolerance and shelf life compared to several battery chemistries, then bash Mag yourself? :sssh:

Let's get some love in this thread, okay guys? :grouphug:

You simply must admit that for all their shortcomings, that Mag makes excellent housings that people love to mod.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Golly, I guess you should censure the OP that was stating disappointment with the light.

I mean, you are channeling Thumper (From Bambi...). If you don't have anything nice to say about a light, don't say nuttin at all.

:D

All lights are perfect, and lets not say anything bad about one, because someone's feelings might be hurt (Because they liked a light, and want everyone else to like it too, and are hurt when they are in less than unanimous company?)

Is that the idea here?

Really?

The OP is saying the light was a let down, a lot agree that it is a let down.

If you sell them, and this hurts sales, sure, go tell your boss (Or your hurt feelings) that the light is going to be fine for those who don't know there are MUCH better choices, but that the more savvy shoppers will go elsewhere. That's the theme of this thread now.

If you want to believe that this underwhelming light is actually WONDERFUL and worth $100, or whatever...go for it...it's fine. I'm OK with people disagreeing with me. It doesn't actually hurt.

Its a FORUM - a place to DISCUSS a topic.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Interesting that the pace of mag-lite's new product releases is picking up.

I gather that for most LEO's, mag is a generally solid duty light that's useful for all the mundane stuff that an officer needs a flashlight for day in and day out. Small wonder that they're toeing into the high-speed low-drag tactical market since they're so ubiquitous in law enforcement.

While I suspect it won't be quite as mechanically robust as some of the competition and seems to suffer from the gadget-lover's idea of "tactical" (too many modes activated from the one switch), I think it will make some inroads. Surefire, Streamlight, et al will most likely continue to see the lion's share of the market, but mag-lite will likely get good reception from this product. Mag generally makes a good product and since they are known for such I imagine they have extended that tradition into this new offering.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can remember when Maglites were known for there great performance, Mag just haven't kept up with the rest of the herd.

Norm

Bunnings are selling their (Maglites) XP-E endowed 3D Maglite for AU$37 (says 131 lumens). I picked one up out of curiosity and it's actually pretty decent for the money.

Yeah, yeah, it's got that needle thin beam which is really only good for spotting, but man that thing throws. Throws further than my Malkoff XP-G dropin, though the Malkoff has a much wider hotspot and brighter spill. Still, it's a good car/truck/boat/loaner light that you can toss around and not worry about it.

Forward_clicky

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see Maglite really become a lot more agressive and become much more of a leader in domestic flashlight technology.
Although they make good products, I think they could really give the majority of chinese made lights a run for their money.
For me Maglite continues to lag behind the rest.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's kind of the problem.
If this is their first real innovation in years,
I think it is extremely underwhelming.
It is a mere 300 lumens and nearly 5.5" big.
It does not take 16340 or 18650.
It has a plastic clip which will break.
Finally, a truly outrageous $100.

CPF standards are the minority, and do not equate to industry standards.

argleargle

Enlightened
There's more to a light than its output.

Indeed! A guy handed me a wickedly carefully tested and vetted led 5mmx4 aaax3 light once and I was just doubtful. The thing was beyond it's components... certainly. Some things are more than the sum of their parts. I should have kept the damn thing!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
CPF standards are the minority, and do not equate to industry standards.

That's true, the industry's standard light is a plastic light you have to bang on with your gun to get it to light again. :D

To the great unwashed, a maglight or streamlight is a super duper flashlight, made of METAL! that you don't have to bang on with your gun to make it go on again. (And they DO throw like a mofo...just too teeny a spot of light)

I guess because we are in a forum that discusses flashlights in quite a bit of our conversations....we tend to know what's out there, and that that what underwhelms us, as we know what COULD BE, might THRILL someone ignorant of what's available.

As the OP is discussing the OP's disappointment with the maglight, and not really focusing on the fact that people who don't better might buy it anyway...a discussion about how many ignorant, (or at least with lower standards/expectations) people will keep the company afloat could be started. As its a an American company, and there are not many in this biz, I WANT them to succeed, and don't disagree that there are potentially enough suckers born in enough minutes to keep them going until they actually remember how to make something new, and hopefully state of the art THIS decade, instead of following, etc.

If they sell enough clones of last decade's light, maybe they'll try next decade later on, hopefully not TWO decades later, etc.

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to add that my MagTac does indeed take 16340's. I have not done any extended runtimes with that setup, but my 2 AW16340's powered it up like nobodies business. Sadly the 17670 did not turn it on all, so it wouldn't really matter whether the light could be bored or not. If I do some more runtime testing with the 16340's I will repost.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I see it in a store for $70 or less I'd buy one as an impulse buy. I probably won't look for it online, as its very similar in size and performance to my eagletac p20c2

JCD

Enlightened
It seems like most of the CPFers who actually have experience with this light are reasonably satisfied with it. Since CPFers tend to have higher standards for flashlights than the general public at large, it sounds like Mag did something right with the light.