Maglite pro and solitaire led at Walmart

american

Enlightened
Just so you know in the Christmas gifts $21 for the pack that's almost half off. The pro is very cold blue led unfortunately.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Mag Pro and Pro pluses suck I own them all. Want to go mag and go cheap? B&H has the 200 lumen XL50 for next to nothing

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Mags really do suck compared to most other brands, and going with a good light doesn't cost much more. If you want cheap, but still a decent light, go with something from L3 Illuminations, like the L10 or L11 with a Nichia 219 emitter. Will cost about the same, but the tint, modes, and beam profile will be 100% better than anything from Mag.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just so you know in the Christmas gifts $21 for the pack that's almost half off. The pro is very cold blue led unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip. So are you saying for $21 you get 2 lights in a bundle?

Let's not turn this into a 100 reasons we hate Mag Lite thread, ok?

It seems to be heading that way quickly...

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice find! Maglite is one of my favorites, and that's a great price for those two.

Thanks for sharing.

american

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip. So are you saying for $21 you get 2 lights in a bundle?

Let's not turn this into a 100 reasons we hate Mag Lite thread, ok?

It seems to be heading that way quickly...

That is correct usually it's 25 for the pro and another 15-20 just for the solitaire maglites are pretty terrible these days angry blue tint. But sense we all wanted a maglite when younger I think that's why we still need to have one

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah they aint real big on neutral or warm emmitting.

Thanks again for the tip.

It seems the masses of the Mag market prefer that tint as it "seems" brighter to them.

My 2D pro is one blue beam throwin' sob...but it sure does throw a long long ways.
And that's what sells 'em.

^^ just look at all that blue

^^ but it's show-nuff one mega throwin' light for $35.
That's a 30' boat on misty lake on a very humid night.

This is my $85 Coast HP7R on the same night.

Much less blue, that's for sure.

At work one night some guys were having a throw contest. Note none had focus beams....
They were lighting up stuff at say 350'...good stuff was taking place. I watched.
One guy says "how about the boat?" They all shined that way saying "what boat?"
I whipped out my pocket sized (new to me Coast) and said "that one" lol.
So to be fair and use a forearm sized light like they were I pulled out the Mag.
Soon after I joined CPF.

Nowadays Mag has some stuff trying to appeal to us "fussy" light hobbyists...but that blue beam stuff is what pays the bills for them.

I was amazed at the output of the LED solitaire after using incan versions as 'lights out, find the candles' flashlights scattered throughout my home for decades. I actually find it 'too bright' for those 2am nature calls. But imo they dun good with that one.

When I first got the 2D pro, travelling to work on a highway one afternoon I was using it to illuminate road signs further than I could read 'em...in daytime.

The aa and aaa mini mags are pretty bright too. I still pick one up every time I go to home depot.
They make great battery sippin' give aways that everybody knows how to operate.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
There's no Walmart in New York City and I couldn't find that deal on the website. I would have seriously considered getting it.

maglite mike

Enlightened
No he didn't say maglites suck. He said he doesn't like the pro and pro plus. I happen to like th e maglite pro and pro plus but think the maglite xl 50 and xl 200 are better lights for my needs. QUOTE=WalkIntoTheLight;4778233]Yeah, Mags really do suck compared to most other brands, and going with a good light doesn't cost much more. If you want cheap, but still a decent light, go with something from L3 Illuminations, like the L10 or L11 with a Nichia 219 emitter. Will cost about the same, but the tint, modes, and beam profile will be 100% better than anything from Mag.[/QUOTE]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mike, I didn't dig on my mini mag pro plus because I couldn't dig the hi/lo feature.
But on hi it's a keeper.

Maybe it was just user error, but I found the switch to be less than easy to use like the other twist head hi/lo switches I've used.

I don't hate it. But when tossing a mini mag in the basket the plain ole high only is the one for me.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no Walmart in New York City and I couldn't find that deal on the website. I would have seriously considered getting it.

Say what! For real??? How does one live with out a weekly trip to Walmart? What do you folks do in NYC for entertainment? Gosh, that place must be boring. :crackup:

maglite mike

Enlightened
Yeah, the UI on the mini pro plus is ok but not great. The maglite mini pro has more power at 272 lumens and single mode. If you want to check out a cool UI take a look at the maglite xl200.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ got one. lol
Played with it a few days and put it away as a Christmas gift to my computer savy son. He likes gadgets and gizmos like that.
My other son is getting the pro +....
He likes gadgets and gizmos but prefers simple gadgets and gizmos. lol

When I gave them a light and told 'em it focuses they imediately twisted them like mags.
I showed them they were slider heads..then whenever they'd show them they started out twisting and go "oh yeah it slides"...so they both instinctively prefer the mag way.

Last edited:

ssmd

Newly Enlightened
I like the XL50s if you can get them cheap, theyre great for what they are. Simple operation and reliable. Nice size for 3aaa.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Thanks! I'm gonna pick up a few for glove box lights. Mags have always been reliable lights for me. I still have my old 3D incan from 25-30 years ago and it's still going strong. :twothumbs

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ if you store them in a car it's best to remove the batteries. Extended times in the heat isn't good for those alkaline batteries.
Also consider the lithiums so when it's cold your light will work better.

Now if you choose not to use lithiums in winter and your light is dim with good alkaline batteries, put 'em in your pocket for a few minutes to warm up. Should work normally once the batteries are warm.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good tip there kykfixer. That is exactly what I do. I have a vest that allows me to carry my cell phone & a radio in my front chest pocket. So when I hunting in the below freezing temps they stay nice and warm. :)

Jay611j

Enlightened
That's a great tip, thx. I usually keep a few unopened packs of Energizer Lithium cells or eneloops in the car. I quit using alkaleaks long ago.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good to know.

I use lithiums in stuff for cold weather use and frankly they last longer. Battery operated walk clock in my non climate controled garage for example.
Works all winter and usually outlive the time changes.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ if you store them in a car it's best to remove the batteries. Extended times in the heat isn't good for those alkaline batteries.
Also consider the lithiums so when it's cold your light will work better.

Sure, except Maglite says not to use lithiums in some of their lights (or at least, they used to say only to use alkalines). They might work, and probably do in some models, but they're outside the voltage tolerance for some of their lights. If it fries your Maglite, it's your own fault if you use lithiums.

Another reason to get a light that specifically supports lithium primaries, which most reputable brands do.