Maglite....why?

maglite mike

Enlightened
Yep still made in USA. I always buy American when possible.
Are they still made in America? If so they are probably the cheapest dependable flashlights made in USA. I still see plenty of professonals still using plastic incandescant flashlights so a $30 mini-mag LED is a mountain ahead of what they are using. A while ago I would of poo-pooed maglight for not having the highest lumens or runtimes, but I have realized that 200 lumens (or even 20) is plenty of light for most close up tasks.

The first flashlight I owned was an incandescent solitair, today 2 lumens is still 2 lumens but it was never really enough to do everything that I needed, I might have to try an LED version to see if it can be modded to a high CRI LED just be glad the regular folks have something that is "good enough" that they can buy at any corner store. As opposed to buying the extreme false advertising of the g-700 or whatever else is being dragged out of chineese shops.

maglite mike

Enlightened
During this past blizzard I used my maglite ml125 led as a hammer to break open a master lock. I must of whacked it with all my might for over 2 minutes straight. Besides a few cosmetic scratches the light is still fine. These lights are Damn tough.
Also, these are the most recognized flashlight the world over. In the past 3 months I've had three (3) of their "latest" LED lights in the form of AA (claimed 272 Lumens), 2C (claimed 490 Lumens) , 3D (claimed 625 Lumens) and surprised that for the money, it's plenty bright, durable (I've dropped them from shoulder height onto AC) and did I mention plenty bright? And for someone needing a loaner, Maglites for me are easier to simply give away than SFs.

CLHC

Flashaholic
During this past blizzard I used my maglite ml125 led as a hammer to break open a master lock. I must of whacked it with all my might for over 2 minutes straight. Besides a few cosmetic scratches the light is still fine. These lights are Damn tough.
I've have to concur.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you would be surprised how many folks here have maglites. I am not sure of how many of us use Stock ones. I have a few of the newer ones that are stock. They make great beaters or loaners. I have a few vintage that I kept stock for value or sentimental reasons. Then I have some fun ones! Some are really trick.
Here is a fun one: I call it the Tmag. click link and Scroll down
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?384143-Tmack-customs/page5
Member fivemega loves mags and has some awesome stuff.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?339296-30-OFF-EVERYTHING-BY-FIVEMEGA

Search around and enjoy.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2D Mag next to me now. I set myself the goal of best light quality with maximum reliability - THE go to light when I need light, no questions. I have had it years and to be honest, the 2D was the worst beam wise of the lot - like a damp cornflake. So by adding a glass lens, using 8000mAh LSD D cells, a 1.25A 2.45V Xenon frosted bulb (brighter and better beam) I have a basic but honest good quality lighting tool that runs and runs, just what I like. I am actually using it more than ever, and I do have 'better' lights to choose from. Guess I like Maglites!

Put a Dorcy drop in LED and it will clean that beam pattern right up while being a touch brighter....and extend your run time from 8-ish hours to well past 100 hours...all for $4.

My 2D is where I plan to feed all the near dead D cells I find in various places. Problem is with the LED bulb it just keeps going and going, not sure what beats it for vampire duty, but if I need a light to burn for a few hours, it't the first one I reach for.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeanBurn, be careful feeding those low cells. That is a formula for leaking cells. I was doing sorta the same thing with old Surefire CR123's. I had two leak and make a mess. If you go for it, keep some gloves & baking soda near by. :)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I check it each day I fire it up, which is everyday.

...and the "near dead" cells are ones that are left over from paper towel and soap dispensers. They are all Rayovac Industrials. Not that they are immune, but I find them to be fairly robust in construction.

Last edited:

d123

Newly Enlightened
Still got plenty of Mags scattered around, a MiniAA with an LED drop in, a MiniAA LED, a MiniAAA with an LED drop in, a 4C with an LED drop in (my bump in the night light ;)) and probably 3 or 4 4Ds still with conventional bulbs that date back to the '80s or '90s. The thing with Mag-Lites is they just never break in my experience.

When I was a police officer in the '80s every single officer on shift had at least one Mag-Lite. We could even still carry a 4D in those days ;).

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Things have kinda settled out now.
Streamlight is the LEO light,
SureFire is the Warrior brand
and Mag is the Wally world light.
And the world is better off for all 3.

But there are some amazing Mag mods out there.

That was the case when I hung up my badge. Most everyone had a Streamlight varriation, and the more serious guys had Streamlight AND Surefire. I always had a Surefire 6 on my belt even when I worked day shift. You never know when you could find yourself searching a dark area in a building looking for a dirtbag.

I think Mag will always have a place in the market. No matter what I end up carrying for my FOM mandated duty light, I will probably always have my Mini-Mag Pro LED tucked away in one of my bags, just in case. Again... IT ALWAYS JUST WORKS.

Meanwhile, I got to use the SRT-3 the other night when we really needed lots of light... Even the mechanics were impressed. Thanks for the advice.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advances in LEDs over the past 5-10 years have pretty much left the old incan Mags in the dust.

The newer LED Mags are much brighter and they're still built to last in the USA. Prices are pretty good too (often Mags cost less than many Chinese lights that aren't made as well). Some like the LED Solitaire, Mini Mag Pro and 2nd​ Gen D cell Mags still have the simplicity of the old incan Mags and some like the ML series have added features such as multimodes, electronic switches and programmable function sets. Most still use common batteries.....it is nice for the general public to use batteries that are easy to come by in any pharmacy or convenience store that they don't have to worry about blowing up, catching fire or venting poison gases!

Some of the LED Mags that I use often:

Solitaire 37 lumens - works just like the incan version, runs on a single AAA. Great little key chain light, bright enough for most things a light like this is likely to be used for without being too bright.

2 AAA Mini Mags – currently 98 or 111 lumens (the later more floody and the 98 lumen more throwy); great little light to drop into a shirt or jacket pocket, has enough throw to reach out a good distance for a small light.

2AA Mini Mag Pro (272 lumen) & Pro Plus (245 lumen) – these respectably bright AA throwers work very well outdoors. I prefer the Pro Plus because of the added low mode which makes it much more versatile. With Energizer lithiums, the Pro Plus makes an excellent car glove box light. I only wish Mag would make a OEM tail switch for these!

ML125 186 lumen rechargeable – not the brightest, but super versatile with it's programmable multi mode function sets and the ability to run on it's own 6V NiMH battery pack or 3 C cell alkalines or even AA batteries using a simple homemade or improvised adapter.

3D ML300 625 lumen - very bright with a multi mode electronic switch and programmable function sets similar to the ML125. Runs fine with either Alkaline Ds or AA Eneloops in adapters (eventually will get some full size NiMH D cells and charger for this light). I think this is my current favorite Maglite.

BTW, I use mostly Eneloops and occasionally Energizer Advanced Lithiums in these lights.

Mag Tac Plain Bezel 310 lumen – this is a 2 CR123A powered tactical light; very comfortable grip and easy to use electronic switch. Has a very useful 45 lumen low mode and a plastic pocket clip. I carry this in Mag's optional nylon belt sheath.

apete2

Newly Enlightened
2D Mag is still the most versatile incan platform of them all.

2D Mag + 2x 26650 + MOP Reflector:

Options:

3853H - 600 lumens for 1 hr 10 minutes
3853L - 250 lumens for 2 hr 15 minutes
Magnum Star II 6 cell - 130 lumens for 4 hr 20 minutes

This can still keep a bulb in the tail cap, so you can have 2 options ready to go.

All for less than $100

2D mag makes a great incan EDC for backpacks/messanger bags with the above options.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just bought the last 3 red krypton solitaires at the big A.
$6 each. Can't wait to turbo one with a mini mag xenon bulb. lol

To get to the $0 shipping point ($35) I tossed in a chrome keymate and a purple 2D xenon.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'd love to pick up a modded mag, or one to mod, but bulbs are becoming scarce from what I can tell. WA1185's, the ROP bulbs, etc...

wjv

Enlightened
I am sure you would be surprised how many folks here have maglites. I am not sure of how many of us use Stock ones.

A 4D and a 3C

I upgraded them to LED "bulbs", but they still have the ringy pattern when set on anything but tight spotlight, and their not very bright. I guess some of the reflector/led combo kit upgrades produce better results.

Still as others have mentioned. 20+ years old and they still run just fine.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old incan Mags are pretty much modular with an LED drop-in. I like the 2C in particular,generally using two AA lithiums or 3XCR123s with various drop-ins. Alkalines leak too much AFAIAC but that option is always there if they were the only batteries I could get. Even though they are easily outclassed by many smaller lights they are probably more reliable than most of the LED lights on the market and easy to mod. Of course I am not EDCing any Mags but they still see some use around the house and as car lights. Really can't comment much on the newer LED models as I only have a Mini-mag and Solitare. Neither of those two appeal to me and when you get the new LED Mags you lose the modular part.