Maglite....why?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not to butt in Scout, but my caliper says a D cell is 32 x 61mm and the spring is about 31 untensioned but easily compressed to about 7 which is about how far the foam protrudes. It'll compress further but I stopped at the foam figuring extra bulb in there.

A pair of D cells leaves about 22 mm between the foam and the battery (unscientific measurements mind you) so with the additional 8mm (4 each) of a pair of 650's...it oughta work.
Might be tough to get that first couple of turns in threading, so cross thread avoidance would need to be watched for. The spring puts up a pretty good fight with D cells in it.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks Bykfixer. Had I read a bit before asking, like I did AFTER asking, I would have seen threads discussing shortening the spring... :eek: I appreciate the info.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I may try leaving a spring compressed in a vice over night to see if that causes said spring to have less recoil?(is the the correct word there?)...if not I'll borrow the wifes 14" bolt cutters. :D
(Yes my wife uses bolt cutters, dremels, soldering guns etc...so she prefers left cut flashing scissors over candy on valentines day)
She does craft work with metals and such.

Last edited:

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
As has been stated, made in USA, durable and alot of mods available. I have an 1185, a ROP and a 3D LED in my truck, my car and my wife's Explorer.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Over three decades ago, I carried a 2D or 3D in the car. Shortly after, the Marcharger. They were mostly what was available at that time that met my requirements for a sturdy flashlight. This was likely before many of you were born. Technology has improved vastly. There are many more options now that I didn't have then.

The only Maglite model that I still own and carry regularly is the 2AAA LED variant. I believe tit to be the most useful model in that company's product line.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may try leaving a spring compressed in a vice over night to see if that causes said spring to have less recoil?(is the the correct word there?)...if not I'll borrow the wifes 14" bolt cutters.

I have two of the Mag 2-D lights for modding, for use with 2x26650 cells. One is for bi-pin bulbs, and other for ROP bulbs. I realize that I'm not going to get maximum output from the ROP bulbs on 2 Li-ion cells, but I think I'm through with 6xAA adapters.

I got a shortened tailspring for one of them from Kaidomain, and it is still a PITA to get the tailcap on. It's possible, but I was worried the entire time about screwing up the threads. I ended up taking a file and smoothing the spring's point of contact with the 26650 cell, because the end of the spring had sharp edges and I didn't like how it was so aggressively scratching/furrowing the end of the cell. I may end up getting another "shorty" tailcap spring from Kaidomain. It was only about $4.50, and I think the shipping was free. I would probably try shortening this one even more, then creating a new "circle" on the end, and bending it about an inch in, at a 90 degree angle.

If you had thick copper wire, and could find something the perfect diameter to start with for "wrapping", and could find a way to taper it, someone more skilled than I could probably make their own.

Last edited:

stargunn

Newly Enlightened
Born in 84, grew up in the 90's, dad always had batteries in his 4D Mag and sis and I had 2AA MiniMag Lites. Mine was beat to hell before I got it, wish I still had it, an uncle gave it to me after a tour in Iraq in 91. Up till last week, every flashlight I have owned has been a Mag. Good, durable, dependable.

However, it was time for this streetrat to upgrade his lighting. I may buy another MiniMag LED as a backup in the future.

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Apete2- Do the 2x26650's fit the 2D incan mag with no modification?

For 2x 26650, you need to buy a piece of 1" gray electrical conduit (I have found 1" PVC pipe to be a tighter fit) and cut the spring.

A neo magnet is needed if your cells are flat top.

Radio shack has LiCo 26650s 3500mAh on sale for $10 for 2 cells if you have one near you.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why Mag?....because they are reliable as a framing hammer, made in the USA, are the ultimate mod host and the new XML2 3rd Gens are in my opinion the greatest LED lights of 2015. For 50 bucks you get 500+ or 600+ lumens that have run timed for freaking hours off standard alkalines. They throw like crazy, still have the mile wide profile and have improved new Gen quarter head twist to get flood. Multi mode to boot. I own 26 D cell mags all modified in one way or another. The new 3rd Gens smoke them all. Only mod I made to my 3rd gens are AR coated glass lenses. Oddly I prefer the new 2 D 3rd gen its just easier to throw in my car. 524 highly concentrated hot spot is more than enough...Best Mags ever....

apete2

Newly Enlightened
We still have radio shacks in Rochester NY, and they are bringing back the component bins.

The DE World Radio Shack cells, however, are double click for the 3853H and I can't get the 3854H to light at all, so the PCB is not set for greater than 1C it seems.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This discussion made me think about my 2D ROP that hasn't been seeing a lot of love lately. I was on a night-hike with my brother last night and decided to take the incandescent collection for an outing (2D ROP and Surefire E1e w/ Lumen-Factory HO-9 bulb and AW RCR123A). My brother was using the Nitecore MH20C, which was clearly putting out the most light, but the Surefire lit the path perfectly adequately, and when spotting stiles, the ROP could cut across the fields more effectively than the MH20C too. I was also very impressed with the run time of the 2D ROP, so it might see a few more outings as a result of this.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag light is ok to me. i just hate D and C batteries. to heavy. 600 lumens from a 3 D mag light that weights a ton does not do it for me. Now if they put an xpl hi in there deep reflector lights and push 1000 lumens which is still relatively under driven then throw would be pushing 100kcd and i would buy that. but the 600 lumen mag with xml2 was very disappointing for the size and weight. i get that makes them reliable and extents run time and thats great but that reflector has a lot of potential. Give me a 1000 lumen xpl hi 2D mag light and we will talk

its especially meh when i have a BLF x6 thats like 70kcd and 1300 lumens

but then again i have been spoiled by Vinhs lights and other modded lights for the last few years so any stock light is kinda meh to me.

k50vn v3 537kcd and 2300 lumens on the way LOL

Last edited:

186kmps

Newly Enlightened
Dead on about the loaner comment. Plus me being an old so and so, Maglights are sentimental. I still smile when I see one. I remember when they first came out, they were IT.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found a new 4C 'heavy duty' kryptons at the Big A. $17!!!
Bought 3. lol

One to mod, one to give away and one to stay nip.

The c-cell incandescent Mags are my favorites of the Maglite family.Easily modified to take other types of non-alkaline batteries and relatively cheap hosts for very reliable lights.Unfortunately I think the supply of cheap incans is starting to disappear,get em' while you can !