Making a Wooden Comp Case, Static Concerns ???

*Retired*
Stainess Steel screen looks nice too.

If you are worried about stuff getting out of the case jtice, a simple radio can go a long ways to showing you how bad of a problem you have.

As far as stuff getting into it, except for static, it's pretty much a load of utter bunk.

I have nine motherboards around the house that have now been running for years, that are not in any sort of case at all. Zero problems with stability issues. Nor has static been an issue. You need to blow them off once in a blue moon to remove the dust.

Here is a photo of a few of my herd:

racknet2.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
lol Jar, I always have liked that pic, what a fricken mess.

hmmmm, is that a set of hair curlers on the shelf to the left? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Would linning what LITTLE of the case that does have windows be worth it?
Theres alot of plexiglass windows on this, and I am thinking linning just alittle of it isnt going to do much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Not to mention I cant see that turning out looking very good.

Here a pics to give you a better idea of the open panels,,, I will post a pic of the panels placed together tonight, so you can see it take more shape.

From left to right..
2 side panels with 3 windows in each.. front panel with 2 5.25 bay racks and 2 120mm fans... top panel (it will be positioned with fans toward the back, and the large window toward the front)... bottom panel with 120mm fan hole...back panel (hole for mobo rear panel not cutout yet)... bottom platform, the case will sit on that bottom piece with 4 glowing arylic legs holding it up off that bottom panel.
IMG_3897.jpg

*Retired*
You can sandwich the screens or put them behind the plexiglass. Remember, if you are going to do it, the whole thing needs to be completely lined and everything connected together in wide soliding connection areas. Stringing a single wire from screen to screen will not cut it, you may as well forget it. You'll need 100% coverage, and connection along the entire sides of the screen or foil.

Jtice, some of us do have female counterparts, I know it is hard for some enterprising womenless bachelors to imagine.

I had one guy tell me he stared at the picture for over an hour, finding new things all the time.

jtice

Flashaholic
Jar, yep, thats what I thought, all or nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Guess I will have to just build it and see what heppens. It will sit fairly close to one of my monitors, about 6 to 12" thats my main concern so far.

and hey man, its ok if you like to curl your hair, its not the wierdest thing i have seen on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zackerty

Enlightened
A workmate was reading over my shoulder, and he suggested the thickest aluminium foil you can find, contact glued to the plywood before assembly. Join with braded wire at each panel join.
He did the same as you, except he used half inch burl walnut! AND titanium torx screws!

I wish I had hair to curl...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You may be able to even get by with buying screenwire at a home improvement place and using it. Using a fine mesh it should block any electromagnetic interference and may be easier to mess with than foil.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, a screen or mesh is very effective at the frequencies that you are worried about. A fine mesh behind the windows will be effective without blocking much light.

The hard part, as mentioned, is to get the mesh/screen fully connected between the sides, top, and bottom. It needs to be a *complete* shield to work right, and even small gaps where two sides/panels connect drastically reduce the effectiveness. Sad, but true (and I speak from painful firsthand experience here, along with many hours at the local EMC test facility).

Steve K.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you can just fold over the mesh at the ends to create a *roll* and use that to contact the next piece.